I just bought a schecter 006 diamond series guitar , and i really want to pimp it out. My first question is , what pickup would sound best with my new guitar / amp ? I really like Seymour Duncan invaders , but im not sure if they'll fit my type of style :\ or if they'll sound better then my Schecter pickups ( They have a nice tone / really crunchy sound )

( i play hardcore / metalcore / grindcore )

What would sound the best for my style ? I don't want to spend $100+ only to be disappointed.

Also , i want to take of all my inlays , and put a nice looking inlay on my 12'th fret ... I didn't see any inlays on musicians friend , or any of my local shops , where would i go to buy inlays lol ?

Equipment

Amp: Crate flexwave 120hs
Guitar: Schecter 006 deluxe
distortion : Boss Metal Zone Mt-2
Do you like your sound now? If so, why change?

Play your setup for a bit, and try to figure out what you don't like. For example, if you want more mids or more headroom or something, it is easier to recommend pickups for a specific thing.

As for inlays, you can't really replace or remove them too easily. They are called inlays because the are literally in the fretboard. They go three or four millimeters deep, and removing them wouold leave you with holes.

You would need to fill the holes with more inalys, or wood.

And you need something like a dremel to carve them out.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
^ Not true sir, you can replace them, but you need to route them out and replace them with either the same size, larger, or wood.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
A new amp would improve your tone MUCH more then new pickups. What don't you like about your tone? Or do you just want to 'pimp out' your Schecter for $hits and giggles? If that's the case, have someone paint or something, expecially if you already like your tone.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Listen to Øttər.
It's possible to remove inlays, but a complete pain in the ass.
You'd probably be best just by getting a new fretboard, and adding frets and routing it. if you're up to the project, that is.

Otherwise, it could be one hell of a task, and worst case scenario- you might not even like it.

And for the pickups, play your rig for a bit, and find out what you're lacking. Pickups are best replaced when you know exactly what it is you're looking to change or add.
^ Thanks you kind sir!

Also, replacing a fretboad is one hell of a task as well.

You need to steam the glue off.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
Do you like your sound now? If so, why change?

Play your setup for a bit, and try to figure out what you don't like. For example, if you want more mids or more headroom or something, it is easier to recommend pickups for a specific thing.

As for inlays, you can't really replace or remove them too easily. They are called inlays because the are literally in the fretboard. They go three or four millimeters deep, and removing them wouold leave you with holes.

You would need to fill the holes with more inalys, or wood.

And you need something like a dremel to carve them out.

my current pickups have a nice sound , but i want something thats more fit for metal , these ones sound a bit muddy and not as crunchy as i would like them to be :\ ... I dont know much about pickups / guitars ( if u cant tell already lol ) , as this is only my second one ... but i like to play stuff like , As i lay dying , The devil wears prada , A7x , all the remains , and maximum the hormone

Hope you can help based off of that lol :\

EDIT: Thanks for the inlay help guys ... Im going to stick with my default set ( to bad lol , my guitar would look sick with no inlays haha)
Last edited by [TF]kyoshiro at Jan 12, 2009,
Well, Synyster Gates (who is an asshole, because his name is Synyster) uses Seymour Duncan Blackout pickups.

Phil Sgrosso uses EMGs.

I would say get yourself a really good tube amp and some active pickups if you actually want to sound like those guys...

I really hate recommending actives, because they tend to be, well, not versatile.

I don't know enough about pickups to tell you what is versatile and can play those, but I would talk to CorduroyEW, he is a user on UG who is sort of the pickups god.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
Well, Synyster Gates (who is an asshole, because his name is Synyster) uses Seymour Duncan Blackout pickups.

Phil Sgrosso uses EMGs.

I would say get yourself a really good tube amp and some active pickups if you actually want to sound like those guys...

I really hate recommending actives, because they tend to be, well, not versatile.

I don't know enough about pickups to tell you what is versatile and can play those, but I would talk to CorduroyEW, he is a user on UG who is sort of the pickups god.

I was thinking about getting EMG's ... but i hear after your battery voltage drops .5v , your guitar doesnt sound the same ( that would drive me crazy ) . I would go broke from buying batteries lol

Btw Synyster use sh-8's :p ( invaders ) ... i really like his sound , but im not sure if i can get his sound w/ my amp :\

... I would really like to add EMG'S but im not sure if its worth it (due to above reasons) , also i have no idea what kind of emg's to get
[quote="'[TF"]kyoshiro']I was thinking about getting EMG's ... but i hear after your battery voltage drops .5v , your guitar doesnt sound the same ( that would drive me crazy ) . I would go broke from buying batteries lol

Btw Synyster use sh-8's :p ( invaders ) ... i really like his sound , but im not sure if i can get his sound w/ my amp :\

... I would really like to add EMG'S but im not sure if its worth it (due to above reasons) , also i have no idea what kind of emg's to get
The batteries will last a year or more if you unplug your guitar when you're not playing. My favorite EMG combo is the 81 in the bridge and the 85 in the neck. As far as Invaders go I think they're too muddy sounding. I almost bought a set but I tried a guitar with them and hated them.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
The batteries will last a year or more if you unplug your guitar when you're not playing. My favorite EMG combo is the 81 in the bridge and the 85 in the neck. As far as Invaders go I think they're too muddy sounding. I almost bought a set but I tried a guitar with them and hated them.

I think im going to try EMG's lol ... Wish there was a way to hear them w/ my **** before i buy them lol T_T

Thanks for all the help btw
REMEMBER!!! That your amp will play a greater part in your tone than your pickups. You should start by finding an amp that has the crunch and tone you desire for whatever you play. just my two cents