ok so im a noob. Since im not allowed to buy things online and i dont wanna go through the trouble of drilling a chassis because i dont wanna mess it up, im gonna ask this. do chassises always have to be aluminum or whatever they are? actually what are they usually made of? Can i make a chassis out of wood or would there be fire danger. How would a total noob, who cant buy a pre-made chassis or make an aluminum (still not sure what it acutally is) chassis, make a chassis? im looking for cheap and fast and easy. that being said, i will do work if its reasonable to my level. my first amp

thanks a million
You can buy things online.

Just buy them, and they get shipped to you.

I don't get it....

EDIT: yeah its some sort of aluminum.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Last edited by Øttər at Jan 12, 2009,
i wouldn't try wood for fire issues
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by Skierinanutshel
yeah, what otter said.

and it is a mixed aluminum chassis i believe, and you can buy it at a local hardware store to bend/drill out.

wood = fire.

you mean i can just go to a regular hardware store and they will make the chassis for me if i have the chassis outline thing? what stores would do that exactly (names please) i live in canada but you can give me just general names and ill know what you mean.

are there any other materials used for chassis?

thanks
Naw he means you can buy the material.

Just buy it online.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
otter, again, got it right.

you can buy a blank sheet of the metal....and perhaps you can find a shop that will bend it/punch it for a small fee. use the yellow pages of your local phonebook (gasp, old technology!) to look for a metal shop/work shop/auto shop/motorcycle shop to get in contact with about the job.
is it hard to bend/punch it myself? i have 0 experience with this kinda stuff.
it is easier to punch than to bend....but it all depends on what tools you have.

what power tools do you have at your disposal?

i looked it up, and the chassis is prob just heavy-duty aluminum....so call ahead to the stores in your area and call if you can buy the sheets.
ahh i see, i thought you had to do both lol...

i know i have a power drill but its hard to tell you what i have because i dont know whats needed... what would i need besides a drill?
for simple bending....all you need is two hard surfaces, and the ability to move/pivot one of them.

for punching....you can do the old-fashioned scrolling/hammer punch by hand, or use a drill with metal-cutting bits to get the right sized holes.

edit: will it be easy? no
will it be quick? no
will it be fun/a good learning experience? definitely
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Jan 12, 2009,
bending SOUNDS easier. but punching sounds more fun because you drill stull lol.

how would you make the holes by bending tho?

do the holes have to be like accurate? or just have enouhg space needed?
oh, no the bending doesnt make holes. the bending makes....bends. like, to make the sheet a box, you bend the metal.

the holes dont need to be 100% accurate, but if they are mis-aligned it will look crappy in the end, because the knobs/tubes/anythign you see outside the amp wont be lined up straightly.
thank you so much man. i was seriously thinking of abandoning my amp building dreams because the chassis.

so i think im just gonna find a sheet of aluminum from like home depot or whatever and find some pages on bending and punching. would you have any links btw?

im thinking of building a simple SS amp to begin btw. however, the only ss amp i can find is a headphone amp built into a peppermint box. people seem to like to build tube amps instead of ss amps... i understand that but waht about the noobs...? areent there like simple homebrew ss amps for beginners?
i myself dont have any links saved....but google is your best friend in this situation. all i have is ax84.com but that is just how to make a small tube amp. but, as far as the chassis goes, talk to the people where you by the aluminum from, and then will be able to point you in the right direction.
what was the first amp you built? ax84 has a lot of good info.

the chassis sounds a lot more do-able now thanks to you
i've never actually built an amp...although i might this summer.

i've just grown up in a very "hands on" enviroment, and my dad has always built things as long as i remember, so i pick up little tricks here and there.

edit: and glad i can help. i always think building something is much more enjoyable than buying it.
sounds... difficult. personally i want to be a biotechnologist although i dont know if thats a real word. i want to build devices that help the elderly hear/see/talk/walk and stuff. baby boomers from the 60's are gonna be the dependency load when im working age. hopefully my industry will flourish...
lol of course nothing's set in stone but yeah... good luck on your endeavours
do you have a local electronics store near you? they will sell diecast alluminium enclosures. Even if you only get a two small ones and build 2 of the easiest ss amps the ruby and the gem:

Have fun
Quote by guitarcam123
do you have a local electronics store near you? they will sell diecast alluminium enclosures. Even if you only get a two small ones and build 2 of the easiest ss amps the ruby and the gem:

Have fun

hahahahaaa yessss this is just wat i need man. thanks a lot!

i do have one question tho: if you want to make these ss amps a combo amp, you just put the circuit and the speaker in one box and connect them right?
Quote by Luxifer
hahahahaaa yessss this is just wat i need man. thanks a lot!

i do have one question tho: if you want to make these ss amps a combo amp, you just put the circuit and the speaker in one box and connect them right?

bingo bango, now you're talking.