Page 1 of 3
Recently my school district has considered a stadardized dress code (polos, khakis, leather belts, etc.). Everyone at my school got letters asking the opinions of the students and their parents. This is mine:

Dear AISD Board of Trustees,

I am a junior at XXXXX High School. My parents and I are very against a standardized dress policy. Even though I have only one more year of high school I still believe standardized dress is a useless policy and does nothing to improve student’s grades or behavior.

We think that a rigid standardized dress code, such as the one Mesquite ISD uses, is far too strict and would likely cause just as many school disturbances as the dress code we have now. Students would be sent to their vice-principals because of minor violations such as their shoelaces being stuffed into their shoes or their shirt or slacks being a little too baggy. Hair length for boys would also become an issue.

Students will find ways of testing the new dress code and will get away with it unless it is strictly enforced. An example of this is the ID policy implemented a year and a half ago. Many students of our school don’t wear their IDs unless a teacher tells them to, in which case the student pulls their ID from their backpack and puts it on. Ten minutes later the ID is back in the student’s backpack. If the current dress code is enforced then we have no need for a stricter one.

As students, we have been taught since first grade to not give in to peer-pressure and to not conform. Making every student look almost identical to one another completely contradicts this. Standardized dress breeds a student population that has lost almost any sense of creativity or imagination. Instead they become drones.

Current dress code allows for students to be more creative with their clothing, not to mention make new friends. I became friends with a boy in my newspaper class because he was wearing a shirt with the name of a favorite band of mine. A girl mentioned in the second issue of my schools newspaper designed and made her own clothes. Standardized dress would rob a creative girl of this opportunity.

A common argument for standardized dress is the self-esteem issues some kids face by not having the most popular brand name clothes. While this is somewhat true, it can also have the opposite effect. Being on the yearbook and newspaper staffs (both of which are heavily populated by girls) I can not count the number of times I’ve heard “your shoes are so cute” or “I love your new haircut”.

Another argument supporting a standardized dress code is the inadequacy of the current one. Parents insist that today’s teenagers dress very provocatively and that the dress code does nothing to address this. This is not a new concept. The previous generation of adults has consistently put down the music, clothes and slang of the current generation, and this is no exception. My parents and their fellow students were in an almost identical situation and their schools never had standardized dress.

Any problem with the dress of students in the AISD can easily be solved by enforcing the more than adequate current dress code. There is no good reason to force students to buy new clothes and dress like unimaginative robots and the school board has more pressing matters to attend to.
Sincerely,
John Doe

I'm looking for some input on the argument. Do you agree or disagree with my points? What is your belief on standardized dress/uniform? Also, point out if I made any punctuation mistakes please.
Quote by Td_Nights
I went as Darth Vadar to a school dance before.

Sure I got kicked out, but the DJ played the Imperial March and I just felt badass.
Good argument. Standardized dress is a way of robbing you of your individuality. I'm very against it.
dress codes are pretty stupid, fomr what it sounds like this is less a strrict dress code and more an adoption of school uniforms. Bad idea IMO.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
What he said.

EDIT: nevet got dress code ****. I got the limits on how little you can wear (though I hate them), I never to the whole uniform thing. I've worn jeans and a button down shirt for 2 years straight now, and I ain't gonna change for some code. There ain't nothin wrong with what I'm wearing (pardon my bad grammar).
I like the bit on how adults say kids dress to provacatively (sp?)

**** off, authority. My clothes are fine.
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
Last edited by bry0n at Jan 12, 2009,
I just got that same paper today, and Mesquite isnt far from here.
EDIT: AISD??? oh sheet i go to arlington high
Last edited by landerson at Jan 12, 2009,
That was an extremely well thought out and well written letter, and I completely agree with every word of it.

To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
**** man. Way to stick it to the man.
But quiting the hippie talk, that's actually some really convincing stuff.
I can see why you do journalism.
Well, i would have read all of that, but i don't care man. I'm homeschooled!

EDIT: Ok, i read it now, you are one hell of a writer man, but i agree. My sister claims i wouldnt be allowed to wear the clothes i do in most schools, and that just isnt right.
For instance, i have a habit of tying a white bandana around my ankle, wrist, or upper arm, and i wear a wallet chain, and a chain on my jacket. Apparantly, i could kill everyone with my clothing.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Last edited by p o e at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by freedoms_stain
Suck it up, school uniforms are commonplace here.

And free dress is commonplace here. We could use the same argument on you. Shh.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
Quote by irishstang_87
Good argument. Standardized dress is a way of robbing you of your individuality. I'm very against it.

Not in every case. My girlfriend goes to a school that has normal people, but also insanely rich people. I'm not talking dad's a lawyer, mom's a doctor. I'm talking daddy is Steven Speilberg type rich.

Highschoolers judge based on clothes. It's very very apparent what your income level and therefor status are based on your clothing, and standardized dress is a way of controlling that bias and all that. And seriously, if you clothes are the only thing you have going for you in the way of individuality, you are a sad human being.

But yeah, I'd be pissed if my school had a dress code.
Nice i would never put effort into sometyhing like this

Quote by mattman93
This, atheists talk about religion more then religious people.

Youtube
Yeah, they are, and for good reason. A uniform doesn't place anyone under any unnecessary pressure. At least if everyone looks basically the same, then there is no stress about trying to fit in by wearing the 'right' clothes. Also, people who can't afford decent clothing don't get ostracized for their looks.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by Say Ocean
Not in every case. My girlfriend goes to a school that has normal people, but also insanely rich people. I'm not talking dad's a lawyer, mom's a doctor. I'm talking daddy is Steven Speilberg type rich.

Highschoolers judge based on clothes. It's very very apparent what your income level and therefor status are based on your clothing, and standardized dress is a way of controlling that bias and all that. And seriously, if you clothes are the only thing you have going for you in the way of individuality, you are a sad human being.

But yeah, I'd be pissed if my school had a dress code.

I didn't say it was the only form of expression you have. Maybe I was lucky, but even though you're initially judged on your clothes, who you are leaves the final impression.
Quote by \m/Angus\m/
Yea, dress codes are lame. Power to the nudes!

It starts with this, then some 14 year old comes home because he couldn't get his dick sucked, so then he posts pics of chicks puking on guys' dicks, and well you know where it goes from there. Anyways, dude pull the first amendment. Dress is a part of speech, and telling people what to wear is a violation of their freedom of speech:1st amendment:constitutional birth rights:yadayadayada
I'm going to send this to my headmaster. In all honesty, just rewording it a little.

Jk, I'd probably get expelled
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by deathnote29
both of which are heavily populated by girls
You may want to remove that sentence. Gender shouldn't be used as a way to prove a point lol, although I understand what you're trying to say.
School uniforms are fine, they create a community feeling, they stop kids who can't afford fashions from being bullied, they stop girls dressing like *****s, and because people aren't focused on appearence they'll study better unless they're annoying punks.
I have been in a private school my whole life, so i have always worn a uniform and its not as bad as you think. the school's i have gone to are about average about enforcing the dress code. some teachers are stricter than others. my school is ridiculous tho. we have at least 4 different uniforms we have to wear in a week. we have to get a haircut every month and if we fail we get detention. its kinda nice tho having a uniform cuz then you dont really have to dress to impress, and u dont have to think about what to wear everyday. Wearing a uniform might limit someone's freedom of expression but then again it keeps people from being ridiculed for being different. it also eliminates tension between the "clicks" because then there are less, and everyone generally gets along with each other more. and also you then get used to wearing nice clothes so then in the future when you have to wear a suit to work everyday its not problem. also when you are seen in public after school in a school uniform you get more respect from people than you would in normal clothes. and also with standard uniforms there is basically no chance of insulting people by wearing certain clothes.
Suprisingly well written, good job.

I cant remember where i heard it, but some article said "I've never heard of a student standing up in class and saying 'Teacher, i can't complete my test because Billys shirt is distracting me'" in regards to the common argument some clothes impair other students ability to learn.

Also, it's pretty badass your name is John Doe.
Quote by fridge_raider
Yeah, they are, and for good reason. A uniform doesn't place anyone under any unnecessary pressure. At least if everyone looks basically the same, then there is no stress about trying to fit in by wearing the 'right' clothes. Also, people who can't afford decent clothing don't get ostracized for their looks.

People shouldn't give so much of a **** about clothes. We use to cover our dicks and pussies, and who REALLY wants to do that? Excluding ugly chicks or during cold weather.

EDIT: **** not giving a **** about clothes, people shouldn't judge someone based on their income, or their parents income, or whatever. What you can afford doesn't say **** about how nice, fun, or loving you are.
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
Last edited by bry0n at Jan 12, 2009,
I think dress codes make people look more attractive..

meh
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I'd check the grammar more if thats going to the school board
and cut out the drones and robots talk, since that makes you look like a paranoid hippy trying to keep the government from enslaving you
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by deathnote29
As students, we have been taught since first grade to not give in to peer-pressure and to not conform. Making every student look almost identical to one another completely contradicts this. Standardized dress breeds a student population that has lost almost any sense of creativity or imagination. Instead they become drones.

That sentence is awkward and almost a pain to read. In the sentence beforehand, you say that standardized dress oppresses creativity or imagination; the sentence in bold doesn't fit. The word "instead" refers to a contrast, yet "they become drones" is directly correlated to the prior sentence.

I'm not trying to nit-pick your grammar and I'm sorry if I come across as a tool. I'm trying to help in the sense that a well-written paper will be considered more closely.

Not to say that your paper isn't already pretty well-constructed. It's actually fairly impressive compared to the usual work I review coming from my high-school peers.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by ShredGod George
I'd check the grammar more if thats going to the school board
and cut out the drones and robots talk, since that makes you look like a paranoid hippy trying to keep the government from enslaving you

Check the grammar you say? Just so ya know, i like paranoid hippies.
Quote by Code-E

Quote by magnum1117

Quote by necrosis1193
My school has a uniform, not just a code. We wear dark gray dress pants, long sleeve, white, button up shirts, ties, blazers and dress shoes. The girls wear the same skirts (Junior and seniors are the same and freshman and soph. are the same) with a white blouse and either a blue or green sweater, depending on your grade. I don't mind wearing it. For one, its pretty comfortable, more so than jeans. 2, i look damn good every day. 3, i dont have to worry about what I'm going to wear the next day. People flip **** and make it out to be a whole big deal, while its really not. If you rely solely on your clothes to make you an individual, thats kind of sad. The majority of my school doesn't mind it at all. I guess it'd be a shock if you go to a public school. I go to a private Catholic school.
The guy who said that who you are will leave the final impression in peoples minds has got it right.
I'm not arguing with you, cause there are times when i would like to not have to wear a uniform, but im just stating my opinion.
Quote by The_Hell_Patrol
I say pwnd/owned alot, and n00b even more frequently.

It comes up every few seconds actually. I actually said "imma pwn j00 n00b" to my girlfriend i think. She had no idea what i wastalking about, so i pwnt her n00b ass.
Quote by p o e
Check the grammar you say? Just so ya know, i like paranoid hippies.

PTA's laugh at them and toss their letters in to the furnace
Guy who suggested 1st amendment: everytime someone does that the school system wins
be it the supreme court deciding it or not, the school wins. I think even the ACLU has given up on the cause
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
I went to high schools that had uniforms. I liked it muchly. They are comfortable and you don't have to decide what you are wearing that day. They didn't have any rules about hair and you just had to wear black dress shoes. There were plenty of girls with dyed hair and "cute shoes." The teachers usually don't get on you about the uniform if you are at least wearing it decently and don't be a pain in the ass disrupting the class to be funny. Uniforms don't take away individuality. They don't shave your head and put you all in the same outfit.

Plus, the skirts the girls wear are usually hemmed so short.

Suck it up, it's no big deal.

Edit: Also, as a teenager going to stores, when you are in school uniform you don't get dirty looks from people thinking you'll steal. It makes people think you are decent.

Double Edit: Wait... Do you realize that you are turning down the opportunity to spend every day with girls in school girl outfits?! You are an idiot.
Last edited by Trefellin at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by Trefellin
I went to high schools that had uniforms. I liked it muchly. They are comfortable and you don't have to decide what you are wearing that day. They didn't have any rules about hair and you just had to wear black dress shoes. There were plenty of girls with dyed hair and "cute shoes." The teachers usually don't get on you about the uniform if you are at least wearing it decently and don't be a pain in the ass disrupting the class to be funny. Uniforms don't take away individuality. They don't shave your head and put you all in the same outfit.

Suck it up, it's no big deal.

Edit: Also, as a teenager going to stores, when you are in school uniform you don't get dirty looks from people thinking you'll steal. It makes people think you are decent.

+1000, i love those little schoolgirl skirts.

Wait, i don't go to school...
Quote by Code-E

Quote by magnum1117

Quote by necrosis1193
Quote by Trefellin

this is the whole hearted truth. girls' skirts can get very short. haha
Quote by The_Hell_Patrol

It comes up every few seconds actually. I actually said "imma pwn j00 n00b" to my girlfriend i think. She had no idea what i wastalking about, so i pwnt her n00b ass.
Quote by Draken
School uniforms are fine, they create a community feeling, they stop kids who can't afford fashions from being bullied, they stop girls dressing like *****s, and because people aren't focused on appearence they'll study better unless they're annoying punks.

they don't do either of these things, having everyone look like clones doesn't do crap for "community feelings" and since uniforms aren't cheap, people who have to wear ratty or second hand uniforms still get a lot of crap for it. From my experience this puts a lot of pressure on parents who don't make a lot of money since they effectively have to buy their kids two sets of clothing.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
they don't do either of these things, having everyone look like clones doesn't do crap for "community feelings" and since uniforms aren't cheap, people who have to wear ratty or second hand uniforms still get a lot of crap for it. From my experience this puts a lot of pressure on parents who don't make a lot of money since they effectively have to buy their kids two sets of clothing.

Not really. It does cost a couple hundred the first year but if you only need a few pieces of clothing and they last a long time if you take care of them. I still have my pants from high school and they really are the best pair of dress pants I've had. They are extremely comfortable and durable.
Wow how's that for censorship.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
It also keeps people who don't belong out. Like pedophiles who aren't teachers and drug dealers who aren't also students.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

unless you have gone to a school that has to wear uniforms, you have nothing to base that off of. My school is a private school, but we have kids from all different types of families. No ones uniform looks ratty or second hand. Thats mainly because you can go to walmart and get 2 sets of the uniform for under 100 bucks, which i bet most outfits kids wear to schools without uniforms costs more than that. as for the community, no one looks like drones, you can wear whatever tie you want, and you would stick up for someone if you knew they went to your school. A bully is a bully is a bully, uniform isn't going to stop that. but it doesnt cause it, because this way you can't differentiate between grade level or income.
Quote by The_Hell_Patrol

Quote by Trefellin
Not really. It does cost a couple hundred the first year but if you only need a few pieces of clothing and they last a long time if you take care of them. I still have my pants from high school and they really are the best pair of dress pants I've had. They are extremely comfortable and durable.

That's assuming that you don't grow at all or gain/lose any weight throughout all of high school, for most people, that's not realistic. my school had uniforms and it ended up being about $1200 for uniforms throughout four years of highschool (and I didn't have particularly nice uniform clothes either)

Quote by manic
unless you have gone to a school that has to wear uniforms, you have nothing to base that off of. My school is a private school, but we have kids from all different types of families. No ones uniform looks ratty or second hand. Thats mainly because you can go to walmart and get 2 sets of the uniform for under 100 bucks, which i bet most outfits kids wear to schools without uniforms costs more than that. as for the community, no one looks like drones, you can wear whatever tie you want, and you would stick up for someone if you knew they went to your school. A bully is a bully is a bully, uniform isn't going to stop that. but it doesnt cause it, because this way you can't differentiate between grade level or income.

oh but I did go to a school with uniforms, and me and everyone else i know from high school can easily refute everything you just said.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
That's assuming that you don't grow at all or gain/lose any weight throughout all of high school, for most people, that's not realistic. my school had uniforms and it ended up being about $1200 for uniforms throughout four years of highschool (and I didn't have particularly nice uniform clothes either(

I switched schools halfway so I had to buy two sets. I had one pair of pants that I'd wash mid-week, two shirts and one sweater. $120 each time.

Edit: It's the blazers that get expensive. They are unnecessary.
Last edited by Trefellin at Jan 12, 2009,
I have to wear an uniform and short hair.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Page 1 of 3