Cables are thought by some people not to make a difference in sound im here to say you non believers are wrong. I started with a monster standars it was ok , I upgraded to mogami gold really good then I went a step further to Analysis plus there yellow oval is just amazing my sound has increased by alot. Have any of you guys had this experience?
I havent, but this makes me consider buying new cables. Ill look into mogamis. Ive been using those peavey crap cables for a while now.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I mean im an intermediate player and I can tell a big difference. Mogami gold ruels , analysis plus is better but cost alot.
i would say it depends. some cables out there do absolutely suck and some are amazing. yet some are overpriced s**t in a pretty package. gold plating really doesnt do as much as one may think. it will only conduct the connection better, not make the existing copper wire better. basically gold plating may help the sound or it may not. it will really depend on the quality of the connectors in your amp/guitar.t

one thing that will make a cable better is metal quality in the wire itself. this usually comes in the more expensive cables and will do something no matter what.

idealy if you wanted the best sound it would be in a solid gold cable with solid gold jacks with guitars and amps with solid gold pickups, wires, and connectors.
save yourself the trouble, just use George L's cables
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
I went from the regular horizons to mogami never looked back. On the occasion I have resorted to using one of my old cables thats when you hear the difference. I use the georgeLs for patch cables.
So my local store gave my dad an instrument cable for my 1/2 stack. Will it work or should I order a speaker cable online?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
So my local store gave my dad an instrument cable for my 1/2 stack. Will it work or should I order a speaker cable online?

definitely speaker cable. at volumes under 1 it won't hurt anything but once you get higher on the volume dial using an instrument cable will fry the head.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Whoa! Thanks!

Oh well. The silver lining is now I have a nice Planet Waves instrument cable!
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I know exactly what you mean. Good cables help pass the tone and response alot better than cheap cables. I use George Lynch cables for my board and I think they are the best for the money. You keep the ends forever and if the cable goes out its like $1.00 a foot. I use SpectraFlex fatsoFlex Leads which are kinda exspensive but I love the Response I get from them. Spectraflex look sweet to in that overbraid.http://www.spectraflex.com/
Last edited by Titans36 at Jan 13, 2009,
How are Ernie Ball speaker cables? They're on clearence on MF.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by CrysisFX
i would say it depends. some cables out there do absolutely suck and some are amazing. yet some are overpriced s**t in a pretty package. gold plating really doesnt do as much as one may think. it will only conduct the connection better, not make the existing copper wire better. basically gold plating may help the sound or it may not. it will really depend on the quality of the connectors in your amp/guitar.t

one thing that will make a cable better is metal quality in the wire itself. this usually comes in the more expensive cables and will do something no matter what.

idealy if you wanted the best sound it would be in a solid gold cable with solid gold jacks with guitars and amps with solid gold pickups, wires, and connectors.

All of the gold plating in the world does beans for your signal strength/quality, when it's all held together by gobs of soldered lead.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
I guess in top line equipment it's more noticable, but when I use Fender cables in my Cube I can hear no difference than when I use the ones I get for free from the shop.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Well, that's because Monsters actually sound really bad. And part of it is probably the placebo effect, either that or you're getting better at playing and thus sounding better.
good cables absolutely make a difference.

however there is a line to be drawn where paying $1000+ for a rig re-cabling might not make that much of a difference compared to a $200 rig re-cabling.

this is assuming you might have an elaborate rackmount and lets say a tri-amp set up.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I've recently ordered a Valveking head and I was wondering what kind of cable/lead I should use to connect it to a cab. Also, what are some good instrument cables/patch leads as I'll probably be upgrading in the near future.

Thanks
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
Im using yorkvilles now and I'm not too happy with the sound. How much am I looking at for some decent cables?
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Eventually I will redo the cables in my rig. But for now I really dont feel like dropping a couple hundred bucks on cables just for a semi noticable change in tone. Just not cost effective to me. Its one of the pitfalls to having a pretty decent sized rig
it makes a difference, but it's ridiculously negligible for the price you pay, especially when all you really lose from poor cables is top-end.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
Im using yorkvilles now and I'm not too happy with the sound. How much am I looking at for some decent cables?

man, i use those new Zzyzx magnetic cables, and they're the sh*t. they are dead quiet (even with single coils), and the magnetic ends come off. it sounds kind of gimmicky at first, but you end up finding so many uses for them. the only downside is that the jacks are heavy, and if you ave a guitar with an input that doesn't hold on too good, you best be getting some Duct Tape!

anyways, a 15 footer goes for about 50$.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by CrysisFX

Gold plating is mainly used to keep it from oxidizing (as gold does not tarnish), giving longer lasting sound quality.
Last edited by Tempoe at Jan 13, 2009,
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99

Mogami 2524 cable w/ Neutrik or Switchcraft ends.

Great sounding cable, low capacitance, easy to work with, affordable, and used in a majority of Mega rigs of the stars w/ good reason.
yeah, i upgraded from planet waves (and other similar quality cables) to cleartone (basically van damme with neutrik jacks) and i noticed a pretty big difference.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well, i know that as far as tv's go, cables really do make a difference in visuals and sound...as far as amps go though i never really tested the difference between two cables. i've had the same red Dimarzio cable for the past 4 years and it works just fine.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
makes a big difference. i used a ibanez starter cable then upgraded to a dimarzio.. big difference
I've been told before that the length of the cable also contributes to the sound, he said that your tone will be "weaker" if the cable is longer because the signal has to travel farther, is there any truth to that?
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Quote by Metalcoresoul
I've been told before that the length of the cable also contributes to the sound, he said that your tone will be "weaker" if the cable is longer because the signal has to travel farther, is there any truth to that?
The longer the cable, the more capacitance it has and the more top-end is lost from the signal.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.