Hey UG,

I was wondering if you could help me. I play in a hard rock/psychadelic/jam band that requires me to have a quite heavy sound at times. I've used a Big Muff Pi but only found trouble with it, what would you believe to be a good pedal up to 100$ that would fit that?
Gear:

Dean Razorback NT Bass
Epiphone SG
Yorkville BassmasterXM100
Line 6 Spider II
Boss-Ds-1
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Peavey KB3
Equation DS-V7
Look at Boss overdrives or the Gallien Krueger Diesel Dawg (cant remember the price)
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
MXR El Grande Bass Fuzz or a BASS big muff would do you good if you are playing psychadelic stuff
What if you were looking for a more metal bass sound? I have a little "Metal" Pedal that I was going to try use, but it's a little cheap guitar pedal and may just add gain to make a weird twangy type noise, when I'm looking for a deep chunky tone.
Quote by madcowman19
What if you were looking for a more metal bass sound? I have a little "Metal" Pedal that I was going to try use, but it's a little cheap guitar pedal and may just add gain to make a weird twangy type noise, when I'm looking for a deep chunky tone.

maybe a Digitech Bass Driver, a boss OBD-3, or a MXR blowtorch
I haven't found anything in that price range that sounds great. Some sound decent, but not great. I got an EBS valvedrive and it changed my life. Its very versatile and can add fuzz, overdrive, or with high output pickups, distortion. Its pricey though. You might be able to find a used one for around 170-200 bucks.
That EBS is great for the money. But if what you're lacking is cash, get a simple Boss Overdrive.

Or learn to EQ on your head midway through songs
DB Player
Quote by esposito123
I haven't found anything in that price range that sounds great. Some sound decent, but not great. I got an EBS valvedrive and it changed my life. Its very versatile and can add fuzz, overdrive, or with high output pickups, distortion. Its pricey though. You might be able to find a used one for around 170-200 bucks.

forgot about that one, got a chance to play on one the other day loved the sound.

Also I forgot to mention a Sansamp DI or a Tech 21 VT could also be other alternatives for a distortion sound
i really like the mxr blow torch in moderation if you over do it its really quite fuzzy but on the other hand its always very articulate
Keep On Keepen' On
If you can get some more money together I would check out the Sansamp Bass Driver.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
As always, http://bassfuzz.com. I'd recommend the Earthbound Supercollider or the Devi Ever Bass Fuzz for both the TS and madcowman (they'd would work well for either of you). While both are a bit out of your price range (especially the Supercollider), they're worth saving up for. I really want a Supercollider, but I need to figure out an excuse to get one to keep my parents from saying "Another pedal ? Don't you have enough already?"
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Wounded Paw Attack Goat.

it is win.

Sansamp? further win.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by jimm, ey?
Does the guitar version of the pi loose ANY low end at all? Out of the blue...

Yeah. Its not as bad as most guitar effects, but there is still a noticeable loss of low end.
Quote by esposito123
Yeah. Its not as bad as most guitar effects, but there is still a noticeable loss of low end.

Thanks. I might just get a ODB-3. PD7s look allright but ODBs look like there more on the safe side. Or a Zoom b1x? arhh but I've heard they sound crap dist wise. >_<
First off--I will say it right now. GMJack was right.

The ODB3 is really not a distortion/overdrive its more a fuzz pedal. It does a decent job of thickening your tone and for many economic minded bass players, it a good pedal for the price. I own one, and until I get a better option, I use it to slightly thicken / dirty my tone for playing blues.

If you are a set and forget it pedal enthusiast, it can work nicely on your pedalboard. However, if you constantly want to amend your tone, it can a bit of a challenge to dial tones in.

I like mine, but its merely like. I am probably going to upgrade to a better option in the spring. My advice is that if you want to test the waters in getting a bit of a fuzzy overdrive tone, go for it. Otherwise save up a bit more cash for one of the other options mentioned in this thread.
Quote by anarkee
First off--I will say it right now. GMJack was right.

The ODB3 is really not a distortion/overdrive its more a fuzz pedal. It does a decent job of thickening your tone and for many economic minded bass players, it a good pedal for the price. I own one, and until I get a better option, I use it to slightly thicken / dirty my tone for playing blues.

If you are a set and forget it pedal enthusiast, it can work nicely on your pedalboard. However, if you constantly want to amend your tone, it can a bit of a challenge to dial tones in.

I like mine, but its merely like. I am probably going to upgrade to a better option in the spring. My advice is that if you want to test the waters in getting a bit of a fuzzy overdrive tone, go for it. Otherwise save up a bit more cash for one of the other options mentioned in this thread.

*bows*

However, I must say that recently I've tried putting my signal through my fulltone and then into the ODB-3, and it seems to work quite well as the fulltone fattens up the midrange before the ODB-3 mangles it.

It's not a pretty pedal, and it doesn't have many, if any, really nice tones. However, it is brutally effective at retaining low end, and is a bit of fun to mess with every once in a while. If it was my only dirt pedal, I would still hate it as much as I used to. If I can set it to some crazy buzzsaw setting and still have a nice overdrive available without spending in hour delicately adjusting the EQ to get a half decent sound, it's not too bad.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1