Could somebody please explain the differences between neck-thru and set necks? I clearly understand what a bolt-on is, but never knew what the other two were. Also, is it possible for the body, the neck, the fingerboard, and the headstock to be all carved from the same piece of wood? Wouldn't that be amazing? Or would it not be... Please help.
Searchbar.

Set necks are a seperate body and neck, glue together with a heel/pocket shape slightly different than a bolt on.

Commonly found on Gibson, done best on the Gibson SG.

Through necks are one long pieces of neck with body "wings" on either side.

Can you make them all out of one piece of wood? If you can find a piece of wood that big, maybe, but it would break from the string tension, unless you spliced in reinforcing strips of something... except then it wouldn't be one piece.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Thanks man you got my facts straightened out. Also, sustain-wise, what kind of necks are the best?
Quote by Øttər
Searchbar.

Set necks are a seperate body and neck, glue together with a heel/pocket shape slightly different than a bolt on.

Commonly found on Gibson, done best on the Gibson SG.

Through necks are one long pieces of neck with body "wings" on either side.

Can you make them all out of one piece of wood? If you can find a piece of wood that big, maybe, but it would break from the string tension, unless you spliced in reinforcing strips of something... except then it wouldn't be one piece.

I'm pretty sure your wrong about it breaking from string tension, there's a guy on youtube building them. Probably not the strongest way though. Either way a fingerboard will have to be glued on or a skunk stripe inserted.
parker makes an insane electric with no visible pickups, all out of one peice of wood, it resonates and sustains like an acoustic and its only like 2.5 lbs. i only played for a few hours at this insanely rich friend of my family.parents were being talkitave, so i got to 4 hours in his guitar vault with upwards of 40 american strats, one double-cut les paul angus young used for studio work, and that insane parker. twas a great day
Quote by 420 FREAK
I'm pretty sure your wrong about it breaking from string tension, there's a guy on youtube building them. Probably not the strongest way though. Either way a fingerboard will have to be glued on or a skunk stripe inserted.

Ok, I wasn't really too sure about that... I had just assumed. Thanks for clearing it up.

As for sustain, neck throuugh is probably best, followed by a really good bolt on, followed by set neck.

I am only going by what I read on these forums, so I may be wrong.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Well from what I've what read on these forums you're probably right.. Thanks
really?? i have always heard that les pauls sustain a million times better than strats
Quote by amason51
really?? i have always heard that les pauls sustain a million times better than strats

Part of that is due to the hard tail thick body and the wood but I think a lot has to do with the set neck. A good bolt on neck might be close but the only time your going to find that is with a custom guitar builder factory bolt on necks usually aren't the greatest.