I am wanting to purchase a nice modeling amp that can be used in a dorm as I will be off at college soon.

I was looking at this line6 Spider Valve because honestly, the whole Bogner thing is making it look pretty kick ass... but I don't know, I'm open to suggestions, I would like replies as soon as possible as time is an issue. Thank you in advance for all your replies.
It's Ok, I'm a Doctor
T-T
(In Obviousness)

Quote by Irishstang_87
Good god, you're a Twilight fan. What are you doing in a scientific discussion?

Quote by Thewickerman666
I just watched a turtle rape a shoe, and must admit I slightly enjoyed it.

I feel dirty
See if you can try it at GC or something.

Since you're going to a college dorm, I really wouldn't recommend a loud ass tube amp like that for you. Why not get a Pod XT/X3 (Live?) and a Power Engine or something?

nb4massesof"spidersr****wtf"posts
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
I bought a spider valve 112 the other day as a replacement guitar amp after spending three years at university. Previously to this I had a Marshall DSL 50 with a 4*12 cab, which was awesome just took up too much room.

I thought the spider valve would be the best option as my taste in music is diverse in which i play and I wanted all options. I spent a few days playing with the amp as i am between jobs and had plenty of time. I was far from impressed with the amp! I found the interfaces made it really hard to pick up and just play, which I know is not what this amp is intended for but surely this is important.

but my main concern which really made it hard to work around, was every time you change the amp model settings the change in volume was outrageous.

I think the idea behind the amp is awesome and i have no doubt that if you have the patience to set the whole thing up for yourself then it can be very rewarding. But for me this is no stand in for any real full valve amp after all whatever you input into this amp it has to go through digital wiring at some point....

So i made the decision to work out what I would be playing mostly which is blues and classic rock and I bought a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue; which does exactly what it says on the tin and sounds incredible!!!!!

Gear:

1991 Fender Strat Ultra
2000 Gibson SG Standard
get a used flextone III or get a pod x3 and hook it up to your computer moniters
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I bought a spidervalve 100w head yesterday, and I gotta say I was blown away by how good it sounded. I didn't know line 6 could make something that sounded that nice
would the 40w 112 still be too loud for the dorm? because if so, I may end up with a 5w tube amp, but I don't want too because most of the time they are not very versatile.
It's Ok, I'm a Doctor
T-T
(In Obviousness)

Quote by Irishstang_87

Quote by Thewickerman666

I feel dirty
Quote by Samdunhamss
would the 40w 112 still be too loud for the dorm? because if so, I may end up with a 5w tube amp, but I don't want too because most of the time they are not very versatile.

its not necessarily too loud, its just not the best modeling amp out there. get a POD X3 and you'll be set. anyways, a 5 watt tube amp will still be too loud, plus you will only get a few different sounds out of it
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I'm just really hesitant on the POD because in most of my experience the effects for distortion on those things sounds so digital and crappy that I wouldn't even want to use it.
It's Ok, I'm a Doctor
T-T
(In Obviousness)

Quote by Irishstang_87

Quote by Thewickerman666

I feel dirty
The POD X3 can get a nice sound, it just takes a long time to find it. The spidervalve has the same basic sound, it just has tubes included. I prefer the better sound and versatility of the POD run through another tube amp over the spidervalve.
the thing is I'm running a solid state right now, and I honestly want a mesa f-30 but I don't know if I want to spend that much money.
It's Ok, I'm a Doctor
T-T
(In Obviousness)

Quote by Irishstang_87

Quote by Thewickerman666

I feel dirty
Spider valves are useless total waste of money.

Just buy a tube amp and a POD, much much much better.

Especially trough a clean one like a fender.
Quote by THEKID546

Jesus crist! A pod built into a fukin sweet tube amp is a waste? WTF. Screwing with a pod through a ****ty tube amp, thats a waste. The only valid complaint I have ever heard with the spider valve is the volume jump in the factory presets.

1, who the **** uses those when playing their sheet and 2 get a fuking volume pedal or a floorboard!
i own a flextone iii, im glad i got it instead of the spider valve even though i was very interested in it. the valve doesnt have a headphone jack which is important if your going to college, dont want to annoy people. the flextone does have a headphone jack and it has more sound options. overall i think its better.
Quote by necroscience13
i own a flextone iii, im glad i got it instead of the spider valve even though i was very interested in it. the valve doesnt have a headphone jack which is important if your going to college, dont want to annoy people. the flextone does have a headphone jack and it has more sound options. overall i think its better.

Oh yeahhh the headphone jack absence from the valve is total crap. Maybe it does suck? serial
Quote by THEKID546

You seemed to have missed the point. Spider Valves are tube amps. Valves and Tubes are the same thing.
"40W Class AB tube amp through (2) 12AX7 preamp tubes and (2) 6L6 power tubes"
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by Samdunhamss
I'm just really hesitant on the POD because in most of my experience the effects for distortion on those things sounds so digital and crappy that I wouldn't even want to use it.

so you want a spider valve, but you think a POD is too digital.

periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
look I know a spider is digital, I'm looking for at least some middle ground, not just a completely ss rig.
It's Ok, I'm a Doctor
T-T
(In Obviousness)

Quote by Irishstang_87

Quote by Thewickerman666

I feel dirty
also I hate to double post, but I forgot this

space is an issue, so I don't want to buy the pedal board, and I don't want that little unit
It's Ok, I'm a Doctor
T-T
(In Obviousness)

Quote by Irishstang_87

Quote by Thewickerman666

I feel dirty
if you get the spidervalve it'll be pretty darn loud, but i've played one in my basement without waking up my parents. it's fun to mess around with and the distortion is pretty good. you can't argue with the bogner power section