Ok I want to improve my fingerpicking techniques... so I'm trying my hand at Going to California byZep. But just looking at the tabs has me confused. There is just so much going on... how do I break it down and figure out what my hand needs to be doing? How would YOU go about doing it? Any tips?
Thanks for the help.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Many people may not know this song. Copy and paste the tab here and tell us which part is giving you the most trouble.
BTW, this song is in Dropped D tuning (drop both Es to D). I suppose you could work it out in DADGAD as well.

Also, a lot of the string parts in this tune are either a mandolin or a 12 string capo-ed way up. Lots of stuff going on in this, but the basic feel can be rendered with a Travis-style right hand and the open tuning.

Screw the tab...just play it.
Quote by maxtheaxe
BTW, this song is in Dropped D tuning (drop both Es to D). I suppose you could work it out in DADGAD as well.

Also, a lot of the string parts in this tune are either a mandolin or a 12 string capo-ed way up. Lots of stuff going on in this, but the basic feel can be rendered with a Travis-style right hand and the open tuning.

Screw the tab...just play it.

Isn't that called/known as Double Drop-D?

(I thought Drop-D was just the low E being dropped to D)
think in terms of what chords are being played and it will become alot easier.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Just remember the chords and don't worry about the fretting hand, then play slowly and get use to the fingerpicking pattern.
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
I'm having a little bit of trouble with this song too, but I've made a little bit of progress and what I did was just slow it down, learn five notes at a time, and move on when you can play the five notes you were working on at full speed. I'm using PowerTab, and the mandolin really gets in the way of being able to hear the guitar, but just keep at it and do what suits you best.