Page 1 of 2
wooo best school assignment evar! so my actual project is learning advanced guitar playing techniques, such as sweeping, eight-fingered tap, sweep tap, soloing, and actually sitting down and learning theory. so far it's coming along great; I'm a chick guitarist that's been playing for only 2 years and I can now play some difficult licks, my latest accomplishment is learning the entire lead to "Kill the Idealist" by Kalmah. not bad eh? I"m still sloppy as **** but I'll get better.

ANYWAY my research paper is "Why metal is an often unappreciated form of music" ... I already proved that metal does not cause aggression and that aggression is the common side product of adolescence, not music, and I have also researched psychological **** to back up other behavioral facts. Right now, I'm arguing that metal actually IS music, and can be very complicated both intellectually (depending on lyrics) and theoretically, and how closely it is related to Classical music.

but I can't find any real sources to back me up on that... only one I found was one stating that Classical fans and Metalheads have near identical personality traits. My brain is totally fried from Trig homework, SAT prep, and all the research I just crammed in the last 4 hours.. HELP PIT!!

thx. oh and any other arguments you can advise me to make as to why metal SHOULD be appreciated would also help a lot.
thrash till death
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. sig this if you like bagels.
Good luck.

Edit:
Quote by Rad_Sauce, yo
I'm a chick guitarist

Wait a minute, there are no girlz on the interwebz!!!
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
Last edited by msuspartan at Jan 12, 2009,
Simple.

Anything that makes sound or has a beat is considered music.
Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Greendayguitar, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.

-Gibson LP Classic
-Fender American Standard Strat
-Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
-Peavey XXX w/Marshall Cab
I'm so jealous of those schools with guitar music classes ...........

I really can't get how metal is related to classical, but it'd be an interesting argument, if you can support it well..
Compare the similar melodies between classical and metal. Maybe talk about neo-classical and shred.

I always thought metal was disliked because the melodies are usually diminished or chromatic, whereas people are used to music with melodies based on the major scale or the aeolian mode of the major scale.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Quote by Rad_Sauce, yo
I'm a chick guitarist

Biggest mistake ever.

Never say that here.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
^^ I"m self-taught, there are no classes on guitar at my school, and I don't take lessons.

metal is usually looked down upon because it is considered "belching vocals and nothing but noise." while some metal genres ARE nothing but that, I personally love Melodic Death Metal and Melodeth, which offer very very OBVIOUS links to classical music.. what with piano riffs and melodies that are so graceful and beautiful yet heavy and brutal as f*ck. several arpeggio based solos are key theoretical points of classical music.. i just need some sources to back that up. I can talk about it all I want, but with out proof it's nothing but an opinion.

Quote by Bushinarin
Compare the similar melodies between classical and metal. Maybe talk about neo-classical and shred.

I always thought metal was disliked because the melodies are usually diminished or chromatic, whereas people are used to music with melodies based on the major scale or the aeolian mode of the major scale.

really? i've never heard of that.. that's interesting
thrash till death
Quote by Rad_Sauce, yo

really? i've never heard of that.. that's interesting

I'm not certain, it's just an observation. Like when most folks start listening to metal they start with poppier, more melodic metal. Very few people I've met just suddenly decide that they like Devourment more than like... Nirvana.

Click me, or I'll die.

This sounds like a fairly childish project (forcing it onto the reader) and this is coming from someone who plays in a death metal band...
Quote by Bushinarin
I'm not certain, it's just an observation. Like when most folks start listening to metal they start with poppier, more melodic metal. Very few people I've met just suddenly decide that they like Devourment more than like... Nirvana.

interesting. I started out with heavy and thrash metal, became obsessed with underground thrash metal and now am in love with melodic stuff. listening to Norther right now
thrash till death
Quote by Rad_Sauce, yo
interesting. I started out with heavy and thrash metal, became obsessed with underground thrash metal and now am in love with melodic stuff. listening to Norther right now

Then I'm probably wrong. I guess that the people I've known/met haven't provided a good enough sample for me to really make any claims...

Disregard my posts.

Click me, or I'll die.

Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
This sounds like a fairly childish project (forcing it onto the reader) and this is coming from someone who plays in a death metal band...

I don't play in a death metal band. I typically don't like death metal, unless it's melodic, which is a completely different sub-genre. the whole point is to prove my opinion on why metal (as a whole) should be a more appreciated form of music.. if you think that's childish then please do enlighten me as to how I can improve my argument. I'm not to shabby of a writer, and can compose beautiful papers, but I need info to back me up.
thrash till death
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD

GTFO, now.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by Bushinarin
Then I'm probably wrong. I guess that the people I've known/met haven't provided a good enough sample for me to really make any claims...

Disregard my posts.

Nah..
I'll back up the post you made before...
I started off with Nu-Metal, Metalcore/ Deathcore
Later got into Melodic Death Metal
Then some Technical and Brutal
Now Black Metal
mmm dam you pit, and your childish answers =\

Quote by msuspartan
Good luck.

Edit:

Wait a minute, there are no girlz on the interwebz!!!

And to you sir, +1

I can actually see the resemblance, i think maybe you should include something about time signatures? maybe?
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
meh. it happens.

yeah i could... both share time signatures that are either very fast or very slow, and kind of irregular or complicated
thrash till death
Last edited by Rad_Sauce, yo at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by ToalNOOB
You should really impress them with Metal/Country FUSION

if there is such a thing that doesn't sound like crap, I'd love to hear it
thrash till death
Dream Theater. That should help you quite a bit. They are progressive metal, have complex song structures, and have an album where each song is written in a different key.

And play Murdertrain a Comin' by Dethklok. Blues Melodeath basically.
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

<\/> Fleshgod Apocalypse <\/>
Quote by Imperial
Dream Theater. That should help you quite a bit. They are progressive metal, have complex song structures, and have an album where each song is written in a different key.

And play Murdertrain a Comin' by Dethklok. Blues Melodeath basically.

lol I love Dethklok.. I forgot about that song...

and yeah I just snagged 52gigs of metal from my ex that I'm still sorting through.. I know he has a good chunk of prog metal.. I haven't listened to much of that genre but from what very little I've heard, I like it.

Maiden also has some obvious classical influences.. oh and Apocalyptica.. but I think I"m gonna have to actually break down both classical and metal theoretically and explain with music theory how they are similar.
thrash till death
Classical influence can also be found in Cliff Burton's playing and Randy Rhodes's playing. Ahhh, i don't think I spelled that right....

I think Cliff's Anesthisia solo has baroque styles in it or something and Randy.... well, it's disputable I guess.
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

<\/> Fleshgod Apocalypse <\/>
It is highly related to classical music in that it is loaded with musicians with extreme skill who are just misunderstood in their time, such as many classical composers in earlier centuries that we now appreciate today.
Why don't you just fa- oh wait, never mind.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by Another bassist
It is highly related to classical music in that it is loaded with musicians with extreme skill who are just misunderstood in their time, such as many classical composers in earlier centuries that we now appreciate today.

that's an excellent point.. am so writing that down..!

thx
thrash till death
Quote by Rad_Sauce, yo
that's an excellent point.. am so writing that down..!

thx

sweetness, glad i could help
just make a poster board with pictures of some marshall full stacks, some brutal guitars here and there, and when you present it, just do what your doing on your sig and scream METALFORLIFE LOLOLOLOL!!!!! and start headbanging.

sorry i dont know **** about theory so i cant help you
as far as i can tell from simple observation: the more complex a genre is, the more you need to "dig in" to start enjoying it. thats why most people start listening to pop and **** but gradually (each at his own speed) switch to more complex things...so only people who are deeply into music ends up listening to progressive technical melodic death bla bla metal...at least in most cases

try researching about that... you may find something useful
Quote by siskoX
as far as i can tell from simple observation: the more complex a genre is, the more you need to "dig in" to start enjoying it. thats why most people start listening to pop and **** but gradually (each at his own speed) switch to more complex things...so only people who are deeply into music ends up listening to progressive technical melodic death bla bla metal...at least in most cases

try researching about that... you may find something useful

awesome, thank you!
thrash till death
Quote by Rad_Sauce, yo
awesome, thank you!

anything for the ladies
Quote by Rad_Sauce, yo
wooo best school assignment evar! so my actual project is learning advanced guitar playing techniques, such as sweeping, eight-fingered tap, sweep tap, soloing, and actually sitting down and learning theory. so far it's coming along great; I'm a chick guitarist that's been playing for only 2 years and I can now play some difficult licks, my latest accomplishment is learning the entire lead to "Kill the Idealist" by Kalmah. not bad eh? I"m still sloppy as **** but I'll get better.

ANYWAY my research paper is "Why metal is an often unappreciated form of music" ... I already proved that metal does not cause aggression and that aggression is the common side product of adolescence, not music, and I have also researched psychological **** to back up other behavioral facts. Right now, I'm arguing that metal actually IS music, and can be very complicated both intellectually (depending on lyrics) and theoretically, and how closely it is related to Classical music.

but I can't find any real sources to back me up on that... only one I found was one stating that Classical fans and Metalheads have near identical personality traits. My brain is totally fried from Trig homework, SAT prep, and all the research I just crammed in the last 4 hours.. HELP PIT!!

thx. oh and any other arguments you can advise me to make as to why metal SHOULD be appreciated would also help a lot.
try um randy rhoads probably the best music writer ever
iron FUCKING maiden!!!
Try watching these 2 videos.

Metal: A Headbanger's Journey
Global Metal

Both are directed by and star Sam Dunn (an anthropologist and metalhead). He makes some points in the movie that would greatly aid you in your paper.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Quote by Rad_Sauce, yo
I personally love Melodic Death Metal and Melodeth

You do know theyre the same thing right?
Quote by Rad_Sauce, yo
I'm a chick guitarist

+1 profile view
Chinese Democracy is a great album, people need to get over Slash.

Proud fan of Pop, Rap, Rock, and Metal.
Quote by Rad_Sauce, yo
I typically don't like death metal, unless it's melodic

You need to change this ASAP.
Quote by andyscoot
You do know theyre the same thing right?

No they aren't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0BoiMojQBs

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOB5pkbQLZ0

Not very alike.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Quote by metaldud536
Why would you need to argue if metal is music? I'm not aware of any scholarly articles that says it isn't....

yeah but there is a stereotype that it isnt real music by alot of pop ***'s out there
Page 1 of 2