alright
as many of you know, i've been searching like mad to get a new amp

as of today i am no longer an mg owner (YAAAAAYYYY)

now i go and look on ebay, and run into this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Marshall-JCM-800-50-Watt-Combo-Model-4210_W0QQitemZ260345710668QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item260345710668&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

just what i'm looking for, a 50 watt 1x12 combo

now i've been looking mad and was really pretty set on jcm 900's but now that i've ran into this 2 channel 800, i'm rethinking over this purchase

now, this is a "buy it now" which is assuring, so i'm looking at the possibility that if i do buy it, it could be tomorrow

so, what does everybody think?

i know 800's are legendary amps and all, but what i need to know is this:
1. does it have enough headroom to gig most places without a p.a.
2. i don't think it has reverb, does it have an effects loop?
3. does it have more than enough gain for thrash? (think metallica, slayer, megadeth etc.)
4. the speaker is a Celestion G12-M 70, different than the usual g12t-75's that are thrown in here, is that good/better/worse than the before mentioned g12t

just overall give me your take on the situation
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Wow, those are both awesome amps. I would imagine with all that tube power that you can gig pretty much most places
well i know people who used 800s for thrash, it has a more naturall distortion than the 900, i think its better, however the 2 channel one will be thinner sounding then the one channel one. if you buy a vintage 800, youd NEED at least an overdrive with it to get that distortion. it will be loud enough for a small gig, and they sound much better cranked of course. id get the 800, idk bout effects loops, i think it has one in the back, but not sure, i looked at buying one at one time, i got a jmp instead, the jmp is much better but not for thrash for what i play.
skynyrd, may 15th, new york, new york!!
Quote by bucketmark

1. sorry but i'm looking for 50 watts
2. i'm looking for a 1x12
3. thats actually not a very good price, i've seen those go much less

thanks for the suggestion though
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE

Oh probly, i played a JCM 800 2204 1/2 stack, and it was LOUD, alot louder then my 900

I don`t think so, i know the heads don`t have FX loops

3. does it have more than enough gain for thrash? (think metallica, slayer, megadeth etc.)

suprizingly... no it doesn`t, Slayer over drive there JCM 800`s with EMG`s and gain boosters with the MXR 108 EQ, your gonna have to run a gain pedal with it.

4. the speaker is a Celestion G12-M 70, different than the usual g12t-75's that are thrown in here, is that good/better/worse than the before mentioned g12t

thats the green back i think.... if it is, i loved that speaker for thrash. i normally run the G12T-75`s.
JCM 800's don't have a clean channel.
2 channels means nothing.
Basically, it's a normal channel, and then a boost channel.
JCM 800's NEEEEEED volume. When i say volume, i mean, your ears are going to f*king ring for 12 hours.
It wont have enough gain for thrash unless it is f*kin loud.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by Slayerdeath

Oh probly, i played a JCM 800 2204 1/2 stack, and it was LOUD, alot louder then my 900

I don`t think so, i know the heads don`t have FX loops

suprizingly... no it doesn`t, Slayer over drive there JCM 800`s with EMG`s and gain boosters with the MXR 108 EQ, your gonna have to run a gain pedal with it.

thats the green back i think.... if it is, i loved that speaker for thrash. i normally run the G12T-75`s.

1. okay thanks
2. it might, check the link pictures, it has a bunch of different plug ins, i imagine those have to be effects loop ones
3. ah thats kind of a bummer, but i'm looking to get a guitar with active emgs (or something of the sort) along with the tubescreamer i have, plus i have a mxr 10 band eq
4. would that be versatile?
i though that was a like classic rock oriented speaker?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by kool98769
JCM 800's don't have a clean channel.
2 channels means nothing.
Basically, it's a normal channel, and then a boost channel.
JCM 800's NEEEEEED volume. When i say volume, i mean, your ears are going to f*king ring for 12 hours.
It wont have enough gain for thrash unless it is f*kin loud.

i thought it was a clean channel and than overdrive channel?
well thats depressing lol
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
We pay $2000+ in AUD for a used jcm800/900 =[
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by acdclandon
1. okay thanks
2. it might, check the link pictures, it has a bunch of different plug ins, i imagine those have to be effects loop ones
3. ah thats kind of a bummer, but i'm looking to get a guitar with active emgs (or something of the sort) along with the tubescreamer i have, plus i have a mxr 10 band eq
4. would that be versatile?
i though that was a like classic rock oriented speaker?

they are a classic rock speaker, but i sure loved them for thrash.

get a guitar with EMG`s AND get a PA2 gain booster installed, you`ll be glad you did, not only will you get more overdrive it`ll give you more sustain then you`ll ever need. the MXR 108 is a damn good choice.
Quote by acdclandon
i thought it was a clean channel and than overdrive channel?
well thats depressing lol

I have a 2205, which has normal and boost channels. You CAN get a clean sound out of the normal channel. As clean as a Twin? No, but it can be clean. A lot has to do on your eq'ing and picking.
Quote by The Real Ming
I have a 2205, which has normal and boost channels. You CAN get a clean sound out of the normal channel. As clean as a Twin? No, but it can be clean. A lot has to do on your eq'ing and picking.

No, the thing is, he won't have cleans if he's running it at thrash levels.
That would require the master to be very high, at which point rolling back the volume of his guitar is still going to have a fair bit of distortion no matter how hard you pick.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
That would require the master to be very high, at which point rolling back the volume of his guitar is still going to have a fair bit of distortion no matter how hard you pick.

so theres only 1 master volume on a 2 channel JCM 800 ???

with my 900 i can get thrash levels in my B channel and still have my clean channel clean. because they each have there own Volume and gain knobs.

all it takes is a tap in the footswitch and flip in to the EMG 85 from the 81, oh and flip the PA 2 off.
Quote by kool98769

Yes, you can. Master set high, normal channel at 5. Roll the guitar volume down and you will have clean.
G12M-70s aren't greenbacks, greenbacks are 25 watt speakers, break up early and get flubby when you start adding a lot of low end.
Quote by acdclandon
alright
as many of you know, i've been searching like mad to get a new amp

as of today i am no longer an mg owner (YAAAAAYYYY)

now i go and look on ebay, and run into this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Marshall-JCM-800-50-Watt-Combo-Model-4210_W0QQitemZ260345710668QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item260345710668&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

just what i'm looking for, a 50 watt 1x12 combo

NO don't get it. It is an '83. The only good twin channel 800's are late 80's. That thing will sound like total **** and that is why the guy is selling it. He has the buy it now so high for an early 800, and he knows some fool will pick it up because they won't know about early 2 channel 800s.

Get a 900. Their consistency is a lot better, there wasn't that many circuit design changes during the production of the amp. Although a good 800 will sound better than a 900, it is hard to find a good 800 because no one wants to sell theirs.
My band.
www.myspace.com/bransonny

My gear.
Marshall: JCM800 2205, 6100, 1960AV
H&K: Triamp MKII, Duotone
Mesa: Recto recording pre, 212
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
Gibson: LP std, SG std, SG goth, SG spec
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE