Ok, I haven't touched my bass amp in a few days, and last time I switched it on it was perfectly fine, but today when I tried to use it, the sound keeps cutting out, and it keeps making this loud bang sound, very repetitive, kinda like a heartbeat, any ideas on what could be up?

-It's a Roland cube 30 watt bass amp.
-It's not the lead, i've tried it with several leads and it all has the same impact.
-I've also tried it with headphones, so it doesn't seem to be the speaker itself.
-I also tried another guitar in the amp and it had the same result, so I guess it's not the bass guitar itself.
Gear:
-A Guitar
-A Bass Guitar
AND...
-amps for BOTH of them!!

(who cares?)
Last edited by urf_ at Jan 13, 2009,
You used a bass guitar into a guitar amp. Your broke it.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
You used a bass guitar into a guitar amp. Your broke it.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube30-Bass-Combo-1X10-Amp?sku=480178

Why did you even post here?

It's a solid-state... so if it is dead (which it sounds like it, since you ruled out cables/guitar/speaker) it's probably "too expensive" to repair... maybe visit a tech and see what s/he thinks.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Could just be the input jack, it happened on my friends cube, easy enough fix if you have a solder gun.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Damn, dead, I wasn't expecting it to be THAT serious!

Is it safe to open up the thing and solder it up (for me AND the amp)? No really delicate parts that could get in the way or stored charges which could electrocute right?

Also, any idea what could have caused this??
Gear:
-A Guitar
-A Bass Guitar
AND...
-amps for BOTH of them!!

(who cares?)
Actually. Yes opening up your amp is VERY threatening to both of you. A capacitor could discharge into you and potentially kill you. Or you could bump the wrong thing and break a soldered connection.

If it is the input jack (which I hadn't thought about, and is a good point) then it could have been pulling in/out cables at weird angles or excessively. Or if it got yanked on etc.

I'm still leaning towards a tech to be honest... but if you're up to the risk, opening it up and just having a gander isn't gonna hurt at all. You may see a broken wire that is potentially easy to fix.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Ok, I'll check it out, thanks heaps man!
Gear:
-A Guitar
-A Bass Guitar
AND...
-amps for BOTH of them!!

(who cares?)
Well, if you do the smart thing and unplug your amp, and keep the power on so that the amp is drained of all electricity, and THEN turn it off, you'll be ok poking around inside as long as you don't break something.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Ok cool, I'll do that first then.
Gear:
-A Guitar
-A Bass Guitar
AND...
-amps for BOTH of them!!

(who cares?)