I've been given the opportunity to join a band, but the problem is that they already have a guitarist, and need a bassist. One of them has a spare bass guitar hanging around, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Now, most of my music theory knowledge should transfer over, as it's the same as the lower 4 strings on a guitar, just an octave (a few octaves?) down. But, a good guitar line played a few octaves down might interfere with the lead guitar line rather than complimenting the rest of the music. So, what makes a good bass line?
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Play less notes than you think you should.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
you are on the right track!

basically, as opposed to making a hook or adding flavor as your primary goal, you want to glue everything together.

you need great rhythm, in order to compliment your drummer, and a strong sense of theory, so you can bring out the right scale or pattern for the job.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I'd also like some tips on that, as I wanna start playing bass soon.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by civildp1
Play less notes than you think you should.

yea start out just playin the root notes of the guitar and not playing too much then as you get better you can try writing your own riffs to go with the guitar
keep the rythem of the song..and keep it sexy. if you do that..everything should be fine.
what genre's your band?

and what do you like Shinzoku?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
what genre's your band?
Dunno yet, the first practice will be monday, cuz we're all off for MLK Day.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Quote by DuctTapeNinja
I've been given the opportunity to join a band, but the problem is that they already have a guitarist, and need a bassist. One of them has a spare bass guitar hanging around, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Now, most of my music theory knowledge should transfer over, as it's the same as the lower 4 strings on a guitar, just an octave (a few octaves?) down. But, a good guitar line played a few octaves down might interfere with the lead guitar line rather than complimenting the rest of the music. So, what makes a good bass line?

Do you want to play bass? I know it's a very simple question but it's probably the most important one.

Listen to Myung of Dream Theater on "This Dying Soul", fills the space out perfectly. When JP starts solo-ing, listen to Myung keep the low end, a melody and the drive going all at the same time. Fantastic example of perfect bass playing (in my opinion).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJqXEaKcf1Q&feature=related

And a lot of Muse songs really show how to create a fitting bassline.
Make sure you know arepeggios, bass players best friend.
Start off perhaps playing the root note and play the octave, then branching out.
There's nothing wrong with the bass player playing the guitar riff aswell, but don't do it all the time, your sound need's 'ass'.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
Quote by DuctTapeNinja
Dunno yet, the first practice will be monday, cuz we're all off for MLK Day.

I'm practicing then too!

in that case, what do you like, and post here when you got a feel for what it is.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Learn a few bass lines by bands you like/would like to play the same genre as
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!