well a lot of times i get stuck...because i dont know what to practise

so is there anything i can practice that can boost my overrall skills?

i play classic rock, blues, funk, pop, jazz, rock
Quote by Antimage27
well a lot of times i get stuck...because i dont know what to practise

so is there anything i can practice that can boost my overrall skills?

i play classic rock, blues, funk, pop, jazz, rock

Are you kidding? Petrucci's rock discipline is enough to keep yourself busy for months, if not years.
If you're really lost, you can try learning scales.

That way you can play through them with a metronome and increase the speed gradually, increasing overall coordination and speed.
Shine on you crazy Diamond.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
another suggestion is to practice exercises.

1-2-3-4
3-2-4-1
the list goes on forever...make up your own even.

Helps build strength, accuracy, and speed.

heh...im too lazy to read the theory book anyways!
Quote by JessyB96
when all else fails learn and practice your theory

+1

everything gets easier when you know your theory
I agree with scales and modes, but I when I get sick of that I just play solos to songs I know like bed of razors or duncan hills coffee jingle because they incorporate techniques I use.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
When all else fails, after you've bored yourself to death with theory stuff, learn some songs that may not necessarily be HARD to play, but rather just fun ones to sing along with or something. Learn some GH songs so that everyone at parties thinks you're TEh bR00tuLZ!

Jam with other guitarists. Jamming is something that not only makes you better, but is also way more fun than just playing by yourself.

If you aren't already in one, start a band. Bands are fun too, if you have time to be in one.

Just have fun with it dude! You're a guitarist! You're allowed to have fun!
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
i just bull **** around and start making up **** like

--------------------------------------------------------------5---5-6-8-6-5---5-------|
|------------------------------------------------5---5-6-8---8---------------8---8-6-|
|------------------------------------5---5-6-8---8-------------------------------------|
|------------------------5---5-6-8---8-------------------------------------------------|
|---------5-----5-6-8---8--------------------------------------------------------------|
|-5-6-8----8----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|--------------------------------------------------------|
|-5----5--------------------------------------------------|
|----8---8-6-5---5--------------------------------------|
|----------------8---8-6-5---5--------------------------|
|-----------------------------8---8-6-5---5------------|
|------------------------------------------8---8-6-5----|

i usually do that just to practice movement switching between positions, using hammerons and pulloffs any kind of technique i can think of that can be used for it.all it is is a box that looks like this, nothing special

|---O----|-O---|-------|--O--|
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
by noodle i mean mess around and just improvise. think of little riffs or runs. haha
Quote by no_thing101
by noodle i mean mess around and just improvise. think of little riffs or runs. haha

ah...thnx that makes sense .to me
Quote by no_thing101

This is what I do, and I get some of my best songs out of one little riff that pops into my head.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
i just find new ways to phrase chords and then i just arpeggiate them all over the place

or

just wank on the guitar. you never know what you might think of when your just messing around
Quote by j37h307
http://www.music123.com/TASCAM-CD-GT2-Portable-CD-Guitar-Trainer-242037-i1328194.Music123

get one of these tascam guitar trainers. Learn your favorite bands solos. or riffs. w/e you want. I just picked one of these up. You can slow down the tempo, change the key, loop certain parts. This thing is great.

I can do that in Guitar Rig 3 and much more :p

When I'm bored I mess around in Guitar Rig and try to construct different tones, and effects.
Last edited by area5x1 at Jan 14, 2009,