Ok, so less than a year ago, my cousin gave me his Peavey Predator. Yes, it's the 'Made in the USA' version. Anyway, he probably had a total of 10 hours playing it altogether since the 90s. So when I received it, obviously it needed some work. Well, the only real problem is this, and I'm thinking it's the input jack. Here's the symptoms:
  • Makes loud crackling noises when I twist the cable as it is in the jack
  • Pickups randomly cut out during switching or just regular playing
  • Volume drops or cuts out during playing, tapping on the volume knob tends to fix problem temporarily

So anyway, when I got the guitar, my cousin told me that the jack just needed to be resoldered. I had some experience soldering in my Information Tech. class at school, so a few months ago, I gave it a shot. Either way, whatever I did, it didn't solve the problem, but then again, it didn't make it worse. I basically did a soldering job for nothing. However, my question is this. Guitar techs, what do you think the problem is, and how much would it cost a tech to fix it, on average? I'd like to use this guitar more often, as the action on it is amazing, and I think it'd sounds pretty good, and it would be even better after a simple pickup swap.
well if you tap the volume knob and it affects it, my guess would be that somethings wrong with the volume knob. if you're confident enough with your soldering, try de-soldering/re-soldering the wires to/from it.

if that doesnt work, it may be that the pot's just crapped out after so much use...
EDIT: Oops, yours is a guitar, not amp, didn't realise, but still, pretty weird.

It's not the cable, I think it may be something more serious, I have a guitar amp that's been doing that lately too, it's rather frustrating. Haven't tried tapping the volume knob though.

What happens when you switch to a clean channel? Cause that uses a different volume knob (usually), mine just starts cutting out quite regularly.
Gear:
-A Guitar
-A Bass Guitar
AND...
-amps for BOTH of them!!

(who cares?)
Last edited by urf_ at Jan 13, 2009,
Quote by james4
well if you tap the volume knob and it affects it, my guess would be that somethings wrong with the volume knob. if you're confident enough with your soldering, try de-soldering/re-soldering the wires to/from it.

if that doesnt work, it may be that the pot's just crapped out after so much use...

Agreed, just resolder the whole of the electronics. If that doesn't fix the problem you just need some new pots. I like to buy from GFS http://store.guitarfetish.com/guelco.html and if you know how to solder then you don't need to be paying anyone else to install new pots. Pretty cheap overall, if you took it to a tech. they'd charge an arm and a leg, and probably any other body parts they feel you don't need. Seymour Duncan http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/ has a plethora of great wiring diagrams, you shouldn't have any problem doing this repair yourself.
Sounds like a problem with your OUTput jack XD.

It doesn't necessarily mean it's your pots. It could be your cable, or your output jack. Does the cable slide out of your guitar pretty easily? If so, simply bend the tip on the output jack so it fits tighter against the cable.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
I don't think it has anything to do with the cable, because it's completely noiseless on all of my other guitars. =\

I know some people who are excellent at soldering, so perhaps I could enlist them to do it in return for a favor later on.