Page 1 of 2
Im currently studying "The Musical" at uni atm, today we watched Jesus Christ Superstar and the music is really, really, i mean REALLY, kool and i think everyone should check it out. Also the narrative makes a fairly interesting point.

All this got me thinking about musicals in the sense of the music they contain. Now most of the older ones are just full of campy pop songs that were written to sell records as well as tickets to shows, but the later 20th century stuff can actually be pretty good i.e Sweeney Todd, regardless of Tim Burton's film version which was bound to garner the love, support and money of his annoying cult fanbase, has music which is awesome and possibly even better than that of Jesus Christ Superstar.

Anyone else got some musical experiences to share? insights? gay jokes?
thank you so much for that elaborate response, i can see u put a lot of effort into it.

@ kid thorazine
Last edited by dispreferred at Jan 13, 2009,
Quote by dispreferred
thank you so much for that elaborate response, i can see u put a lot of effort into it.

yeah I did, it took me about two hours to come up with what to say and another 45 minutes to type it up and revise it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
My favorite movie evaar is an adaptation of a musical

West Side Story
Life is lame so let me eat your brain
Quote by Vernalagnia
My favorite movie evaar is an adaptation of a musical

West Side Story

im not sure whether to take that response seriously or not...West Side Story is that bad
Quote by dispreferred
im not sure whether to take that response seriously or not...West Side Story is that bad

yeah I know, one of the most lauded musicals of all time is absolutely terrible...

Last.fm
I love the jesus christ superstar film version with the black judas, he kicks ass.

JEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHEEEEEEEEZUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSS, oh c'mon c'mon, he won't listen to me ayyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeayyyyyyyyyyeeeeee!!
Scrubs musical episode!!!

I enjoyed West Side Story....
OPINIONATED STATEMENT

Meaningful Song Lyrics
Inside my signature
Make me look deep
And misunderstood

Quote by Pannenkoeken
Out of context hilarious quote!

Quote by Pannenkoeken
Out of context compliment!

My Gear:
Awesome Shit
Cool Shit
Shitty Shit

After seeing these 3 movies: The Sound of Music, and West Side Story in my chorus class a few years ago, then about 3 years later my tech theater teacher made us watch high school musical, then I took a vow to NEVER watch another musical again EVER, I find them completely stupid and predictable, but what really gets me is the fact that I doubt many people randomly burst into song and are joined by everyone else around them in real life.

/rant

but hey if you like them and enjoy them, the more power to ya, they just aren't my thing.
i could care less for them myself, the mark of a good movie, or play is understatment. In a good epic movie a simple DUN DUN, DUN DUN, will suffice to make a scene good. in a musical, for the most part, the story line is such an utter piece of crap that it banks on the music entirely
Quote by Mudmen190
It all sounds so manufactured and over-done.

well yeah, that's generally how big stage productions work.

Last.fm
I prefer jesus christ vampire hunter, which happens to be a musical as well as a terrible horror b-movie.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by dispreferred

It's a brilliant retelling of the greatest love story of all time; what's not to love? Not to mention it's a lovely critique youth culture, especially for the time. Plus the music is pretty great.
i thought mamma mia! was a good musical.
ABBA is so catchy.

i drive down the road with my cherokee shaking from ABBA bass riffs from my subs. people look at me funny
Quote by Immortal_Guitar
ExiledSoul, you have just won the Best UG Liar award. Thanks for participating with your incredible dumbassery and lies.

Quote by gsr2k6
I have a turd with a carrot stuck in it. Its the GREATEST pet ever, makes quite the mess though.
Quote by Sid McCall
I prefer jesus christ vampire hunter, which happens to be a musical as well as a terrible horror b-movie.

yes, that's a very awesome movie, I highly recommend it to everyone.

Last.fm
I just saw Phantom of the Opera last weekend.

**** was so cash.
Gear:

-Guitars-
Esp/LTD JH-200
Ibanez RG2EX2
Yamaha FD01

-Amps-
Marshall MGDFX250 (It was a Gift)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt

-Effects-
Digitech DF-7
anyone seen Dr Horrible's Singalong Blog?

it brought chuckles from ol' zugunruhe.

also rocky horror, little shop of horrors. i only like musicals when they are b movie spoofs. serious musicals take themselves too seriously.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by in2thesun88
After seeing these 3 movies: The Sound of Music, and West Side Story in my chorus class a few years ago, then about 3 years later my tech theater teacher made us watch high school musical, then I took a vow to NEVER watch another musical again EVER, I find them completely stupid and predictable, but what really gets me is the fact that I doubt many people randomly burst into song and are joined by everyone else around them in real life.

/rant

but hey if you like them and enjoy them, the more power to ya, they just aren't my thing.

they would just happen to be the campy made-to-sell-records musicals, so you've essentially abandoned what is becoming a respectable genre based on its worst products.

What your doing (and i really do pity you) is saying the musical equivalent of: "Fall Out Boy are ****, therefore i will never listen to rock music again".
why do you keep picking on kids (dispreferred) you're obviously in college, and somewhat well off, why don't you just let them have there opinions and you have yours. im sure you have better things to do than dick around on the internet (hypocritical remark) but thats besides the point if you feel like having an intelligent debate about it id be happy to
Quote by dispreferred
they would just happen to be the campy made-to-sell-records musicals, so you've essentially abandoned what is becoming a respectable genre based on its worst products.

What your doing (and i really do pity you) is saying the musical equivalent of: "Fall Out Boy are ****, therefore i will never listen to rock music again".

I am a believer in the awfulness of FOB, but that doesn't mean I will never listen to rock again, the two are apples and oranges. I just gave 3 examples, two of which happen to be held in extremely high regard as some of the best musicals and movies of all time, I still have yet to see a musical that I can say I enjoyed, most of it is because of the horrible storylines and the cheesiness that seems to be underlying most musicals. Once again, if you like them, great, I happen to not like them and don't ever want to see them again personally, but I am not judging others on their tastes.
Quote by dispreferred

you're accusing one of the most populist genres of theater of being made to sell tickets/records, wow, you should get PRETENTIOUS TOOL tattooed on your forehead, it's be a great warning/conversation starter for people who encounter you in public.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
you're accusing one of the most populist genres of theater of being made to sell tickets/records, wow, you should get PRETENTIOUS TOOL tattooed on your forehead, it's be a great warning/conversation starter for people who encounter you in public.

not only did you reiterate my point, but this allows me to say that i think that your user name is completely badass without being off topic
Quote by guitarded8one
RHPS ftw!!!!

+1.

It's astounding...Time is fleeting...Madness take its toll...
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
I've clearly been misunderstood, and rather than attempt to right that and risk further placements of my foot into my mouth im just gonna apologise and let this thread die. So:

Sorry to any and all of those i may have offended.

Cheers.
Quote by dispreferred
Im curre...blahblahblah...sights? gay jokes?

I was in Jesus Christ Superstar in the 6/7th grade.
I was part of the Salvation army singers and did some other **** too.

Also, lent my vocal abilities to the soundtrack.
(I look ridiculous in Khaki)

WE WON!!!
I saw Spamalot on broadway... with Clay Akin

I also saw phamtom which was a lot better than I thought it was. Sweeney Todd (the broadway version) is extremely bad ass. I also like rent (some of the music was just amazing, I was forced to watch it by my GF)
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
hello, duckie!
i think muthicalth are jutht fabulouth.

i'm joking of course, musicals aren't my scene.
??? Fund: cba to keep up with it.
will at least try when I get a jerb
੧_\\\

yours,

Alex (mcfreaki)
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
you're accusing one of the most populist genres of theater of being made to sell tickets/records,

Maybe I missed something here, but...ermm...most musicals are put on purely to sell tickets. Musicals aren't fringe theatre, they're meant to make money.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Page 1 of 2