so I am looking for a les paul guitar. I was originally looking for an epi, but I found this, http://gosuperdvd.stores.yahoo.net/electric-guitar-les-paul-white.html ... everything about it looks good except the headstock, lol, but I dont really care about it. but it has a long tenon, one piece neck, solid mahogany, and a lot of other good stuff...but I was also looking for maybe an overdrive pedal. now if I buy the guitar, I will wait a couple of months before buying the overdrive pedal, and if I buy the pedal I may buy the guitar later, or look for another guitar. the pedal Im cosidering is a hardwire cm-2. so what do you guys think?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
I've never heard of Berkley to tell you the truth...I'm guessing its a local builder/luthier who just makes guitars...and you really never know about those guitars. Sometimes their the most amazing things you'll ever play but some of times there made from cheap parts to just look nice. I wouldn't buy that guitar unless I had held it in my hand and played it through my equipment, because you really never know if your getting your moneys worth when buying online you know...

Maybe you should try out something other than epiphone. What kind of music you play man?

Try out some Esp ltd's if you can find em used.. although I do know they have some decent guitars for about 400 up (I got a MH 400 for 700 and love it, second best guitar I ever played with the best being like a 1000+ dollar ibanez)
Last edited by firebird103 at Jan 13, 2009,
I think these guitars are made in china...but from the description is just sounds really good. I play pop punk, punk rock, hard rock, and idk what else. I want a les paul though, and I dont want to pay more than 500...and also I would prefer to not have to use paypal.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
ok... I actually skimmed over the bands you like and took into account les paul factor. Ok first off..I'm gonna have to tell you honestly to stay away from that guitar... it could be an amazing deal, but its really risky, and you could get screwed over big time with a guitar that simply won't last.

since your into the idea of being in the hard rock scene I have to suggest a guitar with emgs.... I prefer 81/85 but I think you would be looking more for 81 60's... luckily I was buying an ltd and thought of this les paul i skimmed across in this book and looked up a link. Unfortunately, this is 150 over what you want...but I think you should honestly save for something like this... these things are really better than some of the gibson les pauls (these have thinner necks which I like since I like to do a lot of sweep picking, and I honestly prefer emgs over the gibson pickups)

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC500-With-EMG-Pickups?sku=512885

save your money up and get this one... Other wise you'll probably end up sacrificing tone for a body style, but its whatever you like man. Check out some of Esp's other guitars, you really can't go wrong with them...
hmm idk, Ive heard that emgs are good for hard rock, and for metal, but not really for clean stuff. I love toplay clean too...but I really want a les paul style.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
well yeah there not great for cleans... but truthfully I think thats a bit of an overstated thing that is pushed by a lot of tone junkies who are in love with dimarzio's. Dimarzio (IDK how u spell it honestly) are really excellent pickups that are good for just about anything...but...You won't be able to get that "umph" compared to the emgs for hard rock. I've sat on my roland cube 60 and played so really great cleans on the 85 (neck) pickup thats in my ltd to where my friends were like "ooo that sounds so sweet" but its all a personal thing you know. Really if you have 2 or 3 guitars, its time to get an "elite" guitar.

Here's what you should probably do. find a guitar center or some place that has a bunch of guitars. find one with emg active pickups (if you can 81 bridge 60 neck, u'll probably find mostly 81 bridge 85 neck, so just keep in mind that your neck pickup will have a little more thick tone) and just see if you like them on cleans and distortion. Keep in mind that it will probably sound a bit better to a lot better (depending on what you find) on the ltd I listed. You will have to play your cleans from the neck pickup though for sure, the bridge one usually just doesn't work well for most clean styles...

anyways good luck. Shoot me a pm if you have any questions. I like to save people some trouble when I can since I had such a tough time finding the "right" guitar.
Long neck tenon...1959 profile...burstbuckers...if this guy isn't a scammer and all this stuff is true, I'd say this blows away most Epi's aesthetically and tonally. Give it a try through a good amp to make sure it's as good as it looks on the internet beforehand, but if it is, buy that thing. The only things I'd change with it would be swapping the strap buttons with straplocks and swapping the stock volume pots with push-pull's wired to coil-tap.

Also, to the guy who is suggesting the ESP; Frankly, I tried that guitar back when I had Les Paul envy, and really, the EMG's just don't sound like a Les Paul to my ears, or for that matter sound good on much other than metal. Plus the battery is an ass. ><
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jan 13, 2009,
I own a Dean EVO Special Select, and love it. You might want to give one a try:

http://www.instrumentpro.com/search.php?q=dean+evo+special+select&store=1&Search_Type=AND

While its not exactly a LP shape, I also like the Dean Cadillac (I own a Time Capsule):
http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-DEACADISEL.html
http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-DEACADI198.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 13, 2009,
Wait, I'm getting a notion now that we're to be suggesting new Les Pauls to the TS...alright then, here you go;

http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/all/sI11445/

Sure it has two less knobs, but you also get a PRS, which, even on a foreign SE model like that, has great QC for the pricerange, a tremolo, a smoother neck joint more similar to that of Neck-thru, and as underrated as it seems, that curve on the curaway really comes in handy on the top frets.

thanks guys, but strictly looking for a guitar that looks just like a les paul...and I emailed the guy abou the guitar in the link, I asked if I could send it back if the things mentioned in the description werent true, he told me that if there was anything I didnt like, I could send it back for a refund.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Then I'd definitely go for it; that thing seems awesome to me. Looks awesome, long tenon necks are awesome, 50's profile necks are awesome(IMO), burstbuckers are awesome, it's awesome.

Check out some Agiles. 3000 series and up.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
I dont like how agiles look, the cutaway totally messes it up for me, I know that its not even that different, but it just bugs me.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
well right now I put my best offer for a refurbrished epi les paul standard. if I get it then Im not going to be in need of a les paul, lol. if not Ill still be looking.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
what do you guys think? 379 for a refurbrished ephone les paul standard plain top in cherry sunburst?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
I'd still get the copy, but the Epi sounds decent.

Im afraid that the copy one will be a scam. or that they will charge me for shipping back if I dont like it. something about it just isnt right. its too good to be true, I think. but idk.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Okay then, get the Les Paul. The Standard Epi's are actually pretty good for the money.

A Michael Kelly patriot model may be right for you.I played one a while back and loved it,and this is coming from a guy that dislikes LP shaped guitars usually.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.