are there any perferred 6-strings out there?
iv looked into a few nice looked schecters

also, probably a stupid question, can you tune 6 strings to e/a/d/g/b/e??
those strings get freaking thick
GEAR
Fender American Jazz Standard Bass
EHX Russian Big Muff
Boss SYB-5 synth
Peavy Max 700 Bass Amp w/ Peavy Pro 410 Bass Cab
Ampeg BA-115T

Quote by loudog93
divide by zero records

destroys the phonebook
ive really only encountered a few, but i played a peavy that i really liked once. and about the tuning, the simple answer is yes but, yes. It can be done but the strings get so ridiculously thick that its virtually unplayable
Quote by pablo_arg
I have a Schecter studio-6. It's the every pinnacle of awesome.

good to hear considering its the one iv got bookmarked
GEAR
EHX Russian Big Muff
Boss SYB-5 synth
Ampeg BA-115T

Quote by loudog93
divide by zero records

destroys the phonebook
Quote by F'ingguitarnoob
ive really only encountered a few, but i played a peavy that i really liked once. and about the tuning, the simple answer is yes but, yes. It can be done but the strings get so ridiculously thick that its virtually unplayable

i dont think you used the right word there..
you mean they get tighter?

i dont think strings get thicker tuning em different
GEAR
EHX Russian Big Muff
Boss SYB-5 synth
Ampeg BA-115T

Quote by loudog93
divide by zero records

destroys the phonebook
You can tune to EADGBe though standard tuning is BEADGC. I would personally stick with the standard tuning but you wouldn’t be the first to tune it EADGBe.

I’ve got my eye on the LTD D-6 at the moment, but I haven’t actually tried any 6 stringers.
You could look at the D-6 as well as some Ibanez basses which are usually pretty good.
Your best bet is to try as many basses as you can and then decide.

If you wanted to tune to EADGBe I would get a 34” scale bass, set it up with a EADGC string set and tune the C to B instead and then I guess you would need a lighter gauge string than the C for the e string. I’m not sure what gauge would be the best for that though.
I’m not all that keen on this option though.
Last edited by 24fRETSoFfURY at Jan 13, 2009,
thats exactly what i mean if you tried to tune a standard 6 string bass to standard guitar tuning (unless its a baritone) and designed for it, you would need thicker strings to accommodate it
Quote by BubbaBassGuitar
i dont think you used the right word there..
you mean they get tighter?

i dont think strings get thicker tuning em different

you want new strings.

I'd stick with standard 6 tuning, simpler, more useful in metal, funk, and various hip hops.
and, you don't have me calling it a baritone guitar.

and having John Swift use a flying jump kick on me and my n00bness
they don't call him Swift for nothin.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
alrighty

i was kinda thinking of half replicating guitar lines in the band im starting with a 6 string.
get what im goin for here?
GEAR
EHX Russian Big Muff
Boss SYB-5 synth
Ampeg BA-115T

Quote by loudog93
divide by zero records

destroys the phonebook
yeah look for a baritone 6 string its just a little longer scale so the strings dont have to be so beastly
Quote by F'ingguitarnoob
yeah look for a baritone 6 string its just a little longer scale so the strings dont have to be so beastly

that doesnt even look like a bass D:
GEAR
EHX Russian Big Muff
Boss SYB-5 synth
Ampeg BA-115T

Quote by loudog93
divide by zero records

destroys the phonebook
The problem with tuning all the time to a weird tuning is that you pay out the ass for strings. I have to buy a 6 string set of strings for my bass every time and throw away the B every time. In your case it's even worse because you'll probably have to end up buying a 4 string set and then adding on a custom gauge of .30-35 and then one of . 20ish. Most stores won't have the latter in stock if they even have the former. Your only option is the internet and there are good sites, but they're mostly American, so if you're not there you'll get janked on shipping prices. That's just my view of it any way.
It can be done. Try finding a seven string bass set and just don't use the low B. Also, the Studio model in the Stiletto series is a great bass, especially for the price.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Last edited by Cody_Grey102 at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by BubbaBassGuitar
alrighty

i was kinda thinking of half replicating guitar lines in the band im starting with a 6 string.
get what im goin for here?

replicating guitar parts isn't gonna give the effect of having an original bass part written that compliments the guitar, or might as well just be a guitarist.
Bass strings on a six string Bass are no different to a 4 string Bass with two strings added C&F or B&C and represent no problem.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Peavy Grind is nice.

You could tune it the same as a guitar, but its proabably not terriblely useful...