Page 1 of 2
i tried free jazz (namely john coltrane's blue train). it is the inaccessible music i have ever heard. damn i thought i was a connoisseurs. free jazz just boggles my mind. are you a free jazzer? is it something you're born with?
--------------------------------------------------------
I make and listen to much more inaccessible music than free jazz, which is very generic and boring, seriously, free jazz is only one step removed from the Beatles on the accessibility scale.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Start small TS, walk before you can run. Stick to Jazz Fusion for a while, then maybe some Bebop and then maybe, just MAYBE you can get into free jazz.

Be careful.

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I make and listen to much more inaccessible music than free jazz, which is very generic and boring, seriously, free jazz is only one step removed from the Beatles on the accessibility scale.

You can show off all you want, but don't say dumb shit like that.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Last edited by JamesDouglas at Jan 13, 2009,
Pretty spot on there, JamesDouglas, for both those comments. I don't think free jazz is really that out there. I love this stuff. It makes me feel nostalgic for some odd reason, despite the fact that I'm clearly a child of the 90s, and never was exposed to jazz at a young age. Funny how these things turn out.
this guy seems spot on

Quote by JamesDouglas
Start small TS, walk before you can run. Stick to Jazz Fusion for a while, then maybe some Bebop and then maybe, just MAYBE you can get into free jazz.

Be careful.

You can show off all you want, but don't say dumb shit like that.
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
Slightly off-topic
I'm a music fan just in general, everything from hip-hop to psychedelic trance through to black metal/death metal/grindcore, blues-rock, a bit of blues

Got any good intro-to-Jazz recommendations?
It's one of the genres I've always had a mild interest in, but I've struggled to actually find any I really enjoy, so perhaps you can help me
@tushmeister: Listen to Vince Guaraldi. Just incase you're not familiar with him, he's the dude who wrote the Peanuts theme ("Linus and Lucy"). He writes jazz that's really easy to digest. Listen to "Pebble Beach", that is one of the few songs that makes me feel better whenever I'm down.
Quote by burndttoast
@tushmeister: Listen to Vince Guaraldi. Just incase you're not familiar with him, he's the dude who wrote the Peanuts theme ("Linus and Lucy"). He writes jazz that's really easy to digest. Listen to "Pebble Beach", that is one of the few songs that makes me feel better whenever I'm down.

burndttoast (describing my breakfast )
I'll do that at some point today, thank you very much
Quote by tushmeister
burndttoast (describing my breakfast )
I'll do that at some point today, thank you very much

Hey, that's fretsonfire75's avatar!

On topic: No, i haven't.
I hate my username, it all happened in a rush

████████████████████████████████████████████
I tried to get into jazz, really tried, and the only thing I liked remotely was Jaco. And I didn't like it THAT much. Much more of a bluesman, hopefully one day I'll get into jazz.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
You think that's inaccessable? Give Acid Mothers Temple a listen, my friend.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvj130Qkf5M

Here we go.
Quote by tushmeister
Slightly off-topic
I'm a music fan just in general, everything from hip-hop to psychedelic trance through to black metal/death metal/grindcore, blues-rock, a bit of blues

Got any good intro-to-Jazz recommendations?
It's one of the genres I've always had a mild interest in, but I've struggled to actually find any I really enjoy, so perhaps you can help me

Sketches of Spain, Tribute to Jack Johnson, both by Miles Davis. And then Birds of Fire by Mahavishnu Orchestra. Complete Riverside Recordings by Coltrane and Monk.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Jan 13, 2009,
Quote by bLiNk182fOrLyF
Hey, that's fretsonfire75's avatar!

On topic: No, i haven't.

I've been through this in another thread
a)It wasn't HIS avatar, he probably got it from the same site I did, which by the by I found through Google
b)I'd never seen it before, despite being a regular here
c)It wouldn't matter even if it WAS the same, it's an avatar
d)Thief implies intent and knowledge of the crime, since I didn't know he had that avatar, and since there was no intent to copy him it was not theft
e)Shut up you utter moron.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You think that's inaccessable? Give Acid Mothers Temple a listen, my friend.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvj130Qkf5M

Here we go.

Sketches of Spain, Tribute to Jack Johnson, both by Miles Davis. And then Birds of Fire by Mahavishnu Orchestra. Complete Riverside Recordings by Coltrane and Monk.

What's weird is I used to love listening to the Acid Mothers with my dad as a kid, and I found them completely accessible/enjoyable from the off
I'll give some of that a listen afterwards, again, a massive thanks for the recommendations

EDIT
Note, the avatar is now changed
Someone probably has this one too
But y'know what
I don't care.
Last edited by tushmeister at Jan 13, 2009,
that isn't inaccessable man, i liked it the first time i heard it, and i don't listen to jazz much at all.

BTW, Blue Train doesn't sound like free jazz at all IMO.
Last edited by The red Strat. at Jan 13, 2009,
Ok TS, John Coltrane did explore free-jazz (moreso avante-jazz actually) in his LATER career, but Blue Train is one of his EARLY albums as a leader, and is absolutely NOT free-jazz.
If you want to hear good examples of what free-jazz is actually like, listen to some 50s or 60s Ornette Coleman, which is probably the best place to start in the style.
EDIT: If you want to hear some Coltrane free-jazz albums, check out Expression or The Olatunji Concert if you're feeling really adventerous (it's great free playing, but the recording quality is shocking).
EDIT2: Oh, and if you found Blue Train inaccessable, I suggest you stay away from jazz because it is really a fairly straight-forward album in terms of the playing style.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Here we go.

For starts into jazz, only that one would be suitable. Those other three are some of my altime favourites, but Jack Johnson and Birds of Fire are fusion, not jazz, and Sketchs of Spain is an orchestral album, and even though it is based around jazz and spanish music, it's not the best "jazz" introduction point.

Last edited by pangui at Jan 13, 2009,
Quote by pangui
Ok TS, John Coltrane did explore free-jazz (moreso avante-jazz actually) in his LATER career, but Blue Train is one of his EARLY albums as a leader, and is absolutely NOT free-jazz.
If you want to hear good examples of what free-jazz is actually like, listen to some 50s or 60s Ornette Coleman, which is probably the best place to start in the style.
EDIT: If you want to hear some Coltrane free-jazz albums, check out Expression or The Olatunji Concert if you're feeling really adventerous (it's great free playing, but the recording quality is shocking).

For starts into jazz, only that one would be suitable. Those other three are some of my altime favourites, but Jack Johnson and Birds of Fire are fusion, not jazz, and Sketchs of Spain is an orchestral album, and even though it is based around jazz and spanish music, it's not the best "jazz" introduction point.

I disagree. I feel like if I'm going to be giving a kid medicine, it needs to be wrapped in a cupcake. Sketches and Tribute are a much easier transition from what he likes into something he doesn't like. And fusion is still jazz, don't be such a purist about it.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Jan 13, 2009,
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I disagree. I feel like if I'm going to be giving a kid medicine, it needs to be wrapped in a cupcake. Sketches and Tribute are a much easier transition from what he likes into something he doesn't like.

Oh yeah, they're great examples of fusion, but if people are trying to get into jazz I'd suggest starting with some acoustic recordings like Cannonball Adderley's Somthin' Else or Miles' Kind of Blue... you know. Classics like that. They're still easy to check out as starting points I think, I see where you're coming from though.

Quote by pangui
Oh yeah, they're great examples of fusion, but if people are trying to get into jazz I'd suggest starting with some acoustic recordings like Cannonball Adderley's Somthin' Else or Miles' Kind of Blue... you know. Classics like that. They're still easy to check out as starting points I think, I see where you're coming from though.

I still think it'd be easier to make gradual steps from Wes Montgomery's poppy stuff to his older jazz playing, and then on to Django. I feel like if someone doesn't have an appreciation for traditional jazz or bee bop, then it isn't going to do to just suggest some they might like. I prefer transition.

Seriously, though.. Wes.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill
I still think it'd be easier to make gradual steps from Wes Montgomery's poppy stuff to his older jazz playing, and then on to Django. I feel like if someone doesn't have an appreciation for traditional jazz or bee bop, then it isn't going to do to just suggest some they might like. I prefer transition.

Seriously, though.. Wes.

Yeah fair enough... I guess the TS' post shows what you mean. Going from listening to rock/metal (that's an assumption, no info on his profile) to Coltrane's Blue Train is a pretty giant step (pun intended).
And yeah Wes' stuff is good to start with, Lee Ritenour's stuff is great as well.

Last edited by pangui at Jan 13, 2009,
Listen to Machine Gun by Peter Brötzmann. Defiantly some really inaccessible music as it most consists of Brötzmann and the other musicians on the record playing as hard as they can and rivaling metal bands on the shear heaviness of the music they are creating.
12 fret fury
Some more great beginning jazz albums include:
Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - Moanin'
Hank Mobley - Soul Station
This is not music, simply put
If you try to correct me
I will become alot more wise and insightful than you can possibly imagine.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

While I do not agree that Free Jazz is so close to The Beatles in terms of accessibility, I do think that Kid_Thorazine here is the only person in this entire thread who really knows what "inaccessible" means...apart from me, I know of what he speaks.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
While I do not agree that Free Jazz is so close to The Beatles in terms of accessibility, I do think that Kid_Thorazine here is the only person in this entire thread who really knows what "inaccessible" means...apart from me, I know of what he speaks.

*Alarms sounds*
Elitists are in the thread
I repeat, the elitists have landed

You've no reason to believe you've a 'bigger' or 'broader' experience of music than anyone else here. So shush.
I do not find it pleasing to the ear. I find it roaming and pointless. I view it as a vehicle for musicians to show how many chords and scales they know. My opinion.
Quote by tushmeister
*Alarms sounds*
Elitists are in the thread
I repeat, the elitists have landed

You've no reason to believe you've a 'bigger' or 'broader' experience of music than anyone else here. So shush.

The elitists have always been here, you just didn't notice; we are musical ninjas of hate!

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The elitists have always been here, you just didn't notice; we are musical ninjas of hate!

Yes
Redeeming yourself there with that healthy dose of idiocy...
Quote by tushmeister
Yes
Redeeming yourself there with that healthy dose of idiocy...

I don't need to redeem myself; when I tire of your pathetic mewlings you will be killed. With a guitar string.

Seriously though, I stand by what I said and apologise to no one for it.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I don't need to redeem myself; when I tire of your pathetic mewlings you will be killed. With a guitar string.

Seriously though, I stand by what I said and apologise to no one for it.

Sure, I'm sure this is the point where I'm supposed to bow down and admire your wonderful bad-ass attitude

I'd rather not though
So how about we just both agree, before your neck hurts from looking down your nose at us all, that you're a moron.

EDIT
And for the sake of it;

'Damageplan, Demons and Wizards, Dream Theater, Gojira, Guthrie Govan, Led Zeppelin, Morbid Angel, MudVayne, Pantera, Primus, Protest the Hero, Queens of the Stone Age, Rebel Meets Rebel, Rob Zombie, Shadows Fall, Slipknot, Soul Fly, Spiritual Beggars, Steve Vai, Stone Sour, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Tony Iommi, Tool, Trivium, Cannibal Corpse, Death, Atheist, Behemoth, Trio of Doom, Gwar, GZR, Liquid Tension Experiment, Machine Head, Mastodon, Megadeth, Necrophagist, Nevermore, Racer X, Strapping Young Lad, John Butler Trio, Crosby Stills & Nash, John Coltrane, Charles Mingus, Linear Sphere'

What is inaccessible about the majority of those bands? Heck I can't see one band on there that I find particularly difficult to enjoy, if anything it's almost a stereotypical list of bands, I recognise every last name on there I think..
Quote by tushmeister
Sure, I'm sure this is the point where I'm supposed to bow down and admire your wonderful bad-ass attitude

I'd rather not though
So how about we just both agree, before your neck hurts from looking down your nose at us all, that you're a moron.

EDIT
And for the sake of it;

'Damageplan, Demons and Wizards, Dream Theater, Gojira, Guthrie Govan, Led Zeppelin, Morbid Angel, MudVayne, Pantera, Primus, Protest the Hero, Queens of the Stone Age, Rebel Meets Rebel, Rob Zombie, Shadows Fall, Slipknot, Soul Fly, Spiritual Beggars, Steve Vai, Stone Sour, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Tony Iommi, Tool, Trivium, Cannibal Corpse, Death, Atheist, Behemoth, Trio of Doom, Gwar, GZR, Liquid Tension Experiment, Machine Head, Mastodon, Megadeth, Necrophagist, Nevermore, Racer X, Strapping Young Lad, John Butler Trio, Crosby Stills & Nash, John Coltrane, Charles Mingus, Linear Sphere'

What is inaccessible about the majority of those bands? Heck I can't see one band on there that I find particularly difficult to enjoy, if anything it's almost a stereotypical list of bands, I recognise every last name on there I think..

Wohoo for taking a list of stuff that just happens to be in my music collection and posting it in a forum, if you'll look I never actually claimed that I listen to anything particularly inaccessible I just happen to know the kind of music that Thorazine is talking about.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Wohoo for taking a list of stuff that just happens to be in my music collection and posting it in a forum, if you'll look I never actually claimed that I listen to anything particularly inaccessible I just happen to know the kind of music that Thorazine is talking about.

'Just happens to be'
You typed the list up, not me...

And if that's the case you're an elitist with no real foot to stand on
That's almost beautiful in its steeped irony...

EDIT
And even then my point was you've no right to claim you've got a broader experience of music than anyone else here
Which you still are doing.
Quote by tushmeister
'Just happens to be'
You typed the list up, not me...

And if that's the case you're an elitist with no real foot to stand on
That's almost beautiful in its steeped irony...

EDIT
And even then my point was you've no right to claim you've got a broader experience of music than anyone else here
Which you still are doing.

I think we just need to take a second here to think about how my taste is actually superior to everyone else's, and therefore you should all be bowing down to me.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think we just need to take a second here to think about how my taste is actually superior to everyone else's, and therefore you should all be bowing down to me.

I'm sure this would be much easier for you if I agreed
But since I don't, even in the slightest, this can only become a difficult situation.

No.
Quote by tushmeister
I'm sure this would be much easier for you if I agreed
But since I don't, even in the slightest, this can only become a difficult situation.

No.

But the Zombies and Edith Piaf.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill
But the Zombies and Edith Piaf.

Although I can't say I've heard of Edith Piaf
I like the Zombies too...

I'd still not consider my taste>anybodys
Except maybe my sisters
But that's just for the sake of giving us something to talk about
Page 1 of 2