First of all, why do you want Pro Tools over any other recording software ?
There is poetry in despair.
well id lik to get into recording ive been using audacity up till now and next year im taknig a two year class that involves music production which includes the use of pro tools. so not only would i use it to record my own material i could practice using pro tools at home aswell
also i hear that pro tools is one of the best recording softwares around
for ProTools you need to get hardware that is especially designed to work with it (most of which comes with the software) the M-Audio M-Box is a popular entry level option.

It should be noted though, that unless you plan on dropping a couple grand for a protools HD system you probably won't be using the full version of protools, but rather the "light" version, which is still pretty powerful. Your school will likely have the full professional version, which might cause problems depending on what you have to do.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jan 14, 2009,
If you're using HD on your course, I'd go for an LE system, because that way you're guaranteed compatability between the two.

It might be worth waiting a bit, because PT8 came out not-so-long ago, and the MBox probably only comes with v7.4 and a one-time upgrade download.
Well I know I always say this in these forums, but I'd reconsider your decision to opt for Pro Tools. The reason is mainly value for money. The MBox (which is probably the interface you'd be going with) is very overpriced IMO, and I think the software isn't as user friendly as, say, Cubase or Sonar.

One advantage of not going with Pro Tools is that you'll get experience working with other software, so you're not just able to use one package. If you want to record at college, then play with it at home, that will still be possible by putting the .wav files from Pro Tools into your chosen software at home.

Maybe you still want to go with Pro Tools. I just don't think it's a very good option for the home studio.
Yeah, pro tools is a waste of everything.

SONAR FTWWWWWWWW!
Your light bulb knows everything you do in your room.
Quote by enigma92
if im going to be working and learning about pro tools wouldnt it be a better idea to go with the program im learning about?

Well, perhaps. It depends on how you look at it. Learning one software package isn't always helpful IMO.

Personally, I prefer to have a good knowledge of different software packages. Each to his own.
Quote by enigma92
so should i get a rack,mixer etc
and what mbox should i get?

If you've decided to go with Pro Tools, and with the most recent upgrade to version 8 Pro Tools looks more and more like the other sequencer apps out there and less like the hardcore DAW that it once was, then the answer to both those questions depend on a few things. The MBox 2 Mini will allow you to do some basic stuff but only has one mic input so if you want to use it as a tool to build on the stuff you'll learn from your course then stay away from the Mini. The MBox 2 is a decent package with more I/O options, 2 mic inputs and SPDIF for further inputs. It also has MIDI I/O, something the Mini lacks, which you will be working with. The MBox 2 Pro is probably what you should be aiming for, if you feel that you can spend the money, based on connectivity alone. (And the fact that you can actually expand on it should the need arise.) The program will stay roughly the same with all these options, same track count etc., so in the end it all comes down to what you are looking to do. If I were you I'd try to get some sort of control surface that will allow you to get some of the feel of mixing "out of the box".

Quote by fridge_raider
Personally, I prefer to have a good knowledge of different software packages. Each to his own.

And how are your Pro Tools skills these days?
Quote by ebon00

And how are your Pro Tools skills these days?

I'm competent. But it's the least accessible and my least favourite of the big boys on the market. I know it has advantages in a pro setting, but I just don't see it's place in the home studio. And it's awful for MIDI.
I am a Graduate of an Audio Engineering School, I highly recommend ProTools, especially if you are learning it in school. This will give you the ability to practice what you learn directly at home, and become a master of it that much quicker and better.

Learning ProTools will also allow you to master any other DAW application.

ProTools 8, does look different, but really only the colors of the program, it is all basically exactly the same. It is much easier on the eyes though then older versions, and has some pretty nice enhancements, such as an extremely awesome MIDI editing enhancement. (Pop-up MIDI Editor Window). This made me very happy, it is awesome.

Dont get an Mbox Mini, it is really limited, I'd recommend the Mbox regular or the Pro.

If you have the money a 003 or 003 rack. I recently got a 003 rack, it is fresher then the prince of Bel Air.

Theres also the option of using M-Audio interfaces that are compatible with ProTools M-powered.

Oh yea, ProTools LE with an "Mbox" is not the same as "M-Audio" interfaces with ProTools M-Powered. I can see how that can be confusing.

I have seen ProTools - make a beat, record a band, mix a orchestra, restore damaged analog tape, mix music & sfx in sync to a fireworks show, edit hours of random tapes, make radio & tv commercials, etc... so yea get ProTools.
Quote by fridge_raider
And it's awful for MIDI.

That's a tune I've been singing for years, I even stuck with ancient and outdated Logic 5.5 for a lot of MIDI editing until recently, but the version 8 upgrade has really boosted the MIDI functionality. Overall the 8 means that the gap between various apps. have narrowed considerably. (That said, I haven't tried Cubase 4 yet so...) There are, in my opinion, only two real downsides to Pro Tools these days: lack of free plugins (almost nobody does freebie work in RTAS it seems) and that they removed the EQII plugins which were eminently processor-friendly for low/high-cut tasks (which we should all be using).
Yeah fair one. I wasn't aware of it's new MIDI functionality, which does sound like it makes Pro Tools a better all round program. But I stick by what I said. A home Pro Tools studio set up will cost more in hardware, and everything Falcor Klaatu said he had seen Pro Tools do could be done in Logic or Cubase.