Hi guyz... ive been playin electric guitar for about 2 years and made quite good progress... i have been writing my own songs n riffs as well but i face a lot of problems when coming up with structure and other things related to songwriting... i was thinking that probably if i buy a bass guitar and learn some bass it might just help me expand my skills and knowledge of music...and yea probably help me come up with better stuff... i would just like to know if its a good helpful idea to go ahead and do that.. or will it slow down my future progress on guitar???
It won't slow down your progress, BUT perhaps if you study the structure of music you'd be better off, like good ways of making bridges between Verses and Chorus' ect.
But there could be some positive aspects of getting a bass.

Edit: Your theory will improve if you experiment with arpeggios on the bass in progressions and stuff like that.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
Last edited by FFTLxx at Jan 13, 2009,
i play both. you just need to balance it out. i started on bass and got a guitar so i could work on writin and its helped me out a lot. it also helped me to understand the relationship between the two. I worked alot on chord theory as well so i could 'spice' up my bass lines.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
I'm not sure about this, but bass would probably help with developing your ability to stretch, and fret better (because of the larger fret distance and strings).
Call me Batman.
Quote by J.A.M
I'm not sure about this, but bass would probably help with developing your ability to stretch, and fret better (because of the larger fret distance and strings).

Meh, guitar feels akward after playing bass, I sometimes skip frets on accident above the 12th fret. You also fret down harder and stuff.

TS;

Changing instrument doesn't necessarily help. It might influence you to learn theory, but theory is the same on every instrument.

It can increase understanding for a music piece as a whole, but your guitar skills won't increase by it.

If anything, I'd suggest picking up something like piano, which offers different things (you have 10 fingers to voice chords) and you can technically do more harmonic wise.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??