Well basically for the last six years I’ve been playing quite seriously in genres like funk, blues, rock and jazz. For the most part of that time, I’ve been using a Fender American Deluxe Strat and an Ibanez Artcore. But lately I’ve started pushing myself to learn much more technically challenging pieces, stuff by Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai - those sorts of artists.

So far I’ve just about managed with my strat, but I have noticed when playing a mates Ibanez RG that my strat’s action is significantly higher and therefore slightly restricting me. I’ve also noticed that all of those bends take their toll on the tuning.

I could just try and make as many modifications to my strat’s setup to make it more of a metal orientated guitar (or whatever genre you’d class Gilbert, Satch, ect) but at the moment, it’s perfect for my funk band and all of the other genres I work at. So I don’t really want to change it, or my Artcore.

So UG, if I can get the funds, would it be worth me investing in something like Ibanez RG - something with a slimmer neck and locking trem? Or should I just put up with these annoyances?
Having different guitars for different applications and genres is completely valid,or at least that's what I think.If you're having trouble with it on your strat then getting a guitar that's more oriented to that style makes sense.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Change. The way you cant fight a war with a pickaxe, you cant play metal with the stuff you have. I suggest an ibanez rg prestige or an esp v-series. or maybe an esp ex ltd
I wouldn't have done to big changes to the strat... I hate to say it, but you might wanna check out some ibanez or esp guitars..
well mate, for starters, dont make too many changes to the strat, if i were you i would look at getting an ibanez or something "more metal". secondly, you stole my pic

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']Just give up, because Callo just destroyed you.
Quote by daytripper75
if i am not pooping, i stand to pee. if i am pooping, it makes more sense to just sit down in the first place.

CALLO

Get another guitar. You might want to go back and play some old stuff on your Strat. And, while a Strat CAN be used for metal, it isn't recommended unless you're in a band called Iron Maiden.
Quote by Callo
well mate, for starters, dont make too many changes to the strat, if i were you i would look at getting an ibanez or something "more metal". secondly, you stole my pic

Heh, but your hendrix has a better pose and a more psychedelic background.

Anyway, new guitar it is then. I guess I'm going to have to look for something in the mid-range. Is it just me or has the price of an RG1570 gone up by about £300? I'm sure they were about £450 last time I checked.

With a budget of about £500 tops, what do you guys think would be my best bet?

Edit - Found this RG - opinions?
Last edited by Tomaz24 at Jan 13, 2009,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Change. The way you cant fight a war with a pickaxe, you cant play metal with the stuff you have. I suggest an ibanez rg prestige or an esp v-series. or maybe an esp ex ltd

Tell that to maiden lol. You can use your fender, You can buy pickup guards that have EMGs single or humbucker coils pre assembled. http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/emg-guitar-pickups-prewired-pickguards-electric-pickups-guitar?N=100001+345989+201536