hey everyone i was just thinking about modding the hell out of my strat and i thought about making it into a headphone guitar, but would i need a preamp or internal speaker or something like that.

would i need active electronics like EMGs or could you do it with passives
wiring diagrams, comments, tutorials anything will help

thanks
dont think so...try sticking the phones in directly-i know that the pickups use electromagnetic induction to produce current which the amp turns into sound...so maybe the phones will work directly...but i dont have an electric(yet) so maybe im wrong...
Quote by GS LEAD 5
dont think so...try sticking the phones in directly-i know that the pickups use electromagnetic induction to produce current which the amp turns into sound...so maybe the phones will work directly...but i dont have an electric(yet) so maybe im wrong...

No way that would work, because there's no power source for either the headphones or the pickups to run off.

You'd need some sort of preamp, don't know if actives would allow you to plug straight in, but you could probs build one of them Marshall microamps right into it, that'd be pretty cool =P
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
If you were running active EMG's it'd work directly out of the socket for headphones.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
All you need is a preamp. It's one of the things I investigated before my first build. I decided to have the amp drive a built in speaker instead though. I decided that I didn't need a headphone jack, and actually, now that I think about it again, I probably could wire it up to power the output jack, so I could plug headphones in there. At the moment it's gonna be wired up to bypass the jack when the amp is on.
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
If you were running active EMG's it'd work directly out of the socket for headphones.
I dunno anything about EMG's, but this could work too.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
It would, I've used them like this.

I also have an active pickup in my LP (A Sustainer Kit) and it works too.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
The pickups themselves do generate electrical signals, but it is far too small to drive a pair of headphones. Also the impedances wouldn't remotely match up. Just rig up a 9v IC based amp (something akin to the ruby for example), as long as it is suited for headphones. If you want to control the amp you would need to sacrifice space on your pickguard and in your cavity, making it just more logical to make it as an external unit similar to one of those vox amplugs.
thanks all of you's for the info ill try it all out if it dont work r something goes wrong ill post it here again thanks
personal cassette player, cut the wires going to the tape head and wire them to a jack (i done this a long time ago, and surprisingly it worked, not surprisingly it sounded better then my marshall MG10)
hey everyone i have just had a brilliant idea that branches off this but only if its possible

i wanna put it through my line6 floor pod cd/mp3 socket so i can play 2 geetars through it lol yer so here goes....

right so the idea is to have the headphone socket and all the other crap in it but on a control knob have it a push/pull to be as a play(up) stop(down) button and rewire the tone control as the volume for it so i still have the normal volume or something close to that so plz leave ur thoughts slash helpness here cya guys later