Page 1 of 2
Does getting married really do or mean anything?

I was thinking about it the other day and all marriages seem to do is complicate things with divorces (which can lead to legal battles and shi-) and all that sort of stuff.
Personaly I'd rather have a girl friend when I'm 60 than a wife.

Have i missed something here?
just wait until you meet that girl
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Monetary benefits
People are bastards. Bastardcoated bastards with bastardfilling.
marriage means giving 50% away and recieving 0% of her stuff, but endless love from her part 'till death parts you... or divorce
.. just look at Paul McCartney.
sincewhen??

Quote by Mannypedraza
Today, me and my gf went to the movies. During, i put my hand down her shorts.
I keep smelling my hand as of now....anything wrong with me?
teh pronz
Quote by LedZeppelin9345

Yes i can understand the I-Want-to-be-with-this-girl-forever thing... But... WTF, why do i have to get married. I don't see the point in it.

EDIT:

Quote by TheMidasTouch
Its a sign of love and affection.

Or... How 'bout flowers?
Last edited by Final !mpact at Jan 13, 2009,
because that was god's plan for us

lol
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
It doesnt mean crap this day in age. It was a bonding of families before for two clans to come together, but then this material day in age theres no such bonding.

Marriage these days is glamour and what girls think they want, and guys too.

But its an industry these days. Fight. The. Power.
If you try to correct me
I will become alot more wise and insightful than you can possibly imagine.
Quote by Final !mpact
Yes i can understand the I-Want-to-be-with-this-girl-forever thing... But... WTF, why do i have to get married. I don't see the point in it.

it's a way of solidifying and celebrating your relationship. the way to avoid (or at least reduce the possibility of) divorce is not to rush into things.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
If you're not religious its really just a sign of commitment.

Edit: Or that you need to be committed :/
It's a sign of commitment. It's basically saying "this is the person that I want to be with for the rest of my life" and having that acknowledged by your family, your government and if you are religious, your God.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I don't assign marriage any moral significance but it has legal significance so if you're sure you love that one person and you won't split you might as well get married, when one of you goes the other will be in a better position for it.

the downside is that if it doesn't work out you can potentially be worse off.

so you need to weigh up the pros and cons for the individual scenario. just like you should for everything IMO. Those who completely rule something out or are blindly for something haven't really considered the options enough.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Final !mpact
EDIT:
Or... How 'bout flowers?

In the same train of thinking, what's the point in getting someone flowers? It's a gift that screams "temporary" because flowers wilt and die in a matter of weeks.
On top of being a symbolic union of persons to be socially referred to as a pair, it can mean things personally. If you don't like it, you don't have to get married, but your lady-friend might want to.
Quote by LedZeppelin9345
it's a way of solidifying and celebrating your relationship. the way to avoid (or at least reduce the possibility of) divorce is not to rush into things.

This is a really good point. Marriage commits you to a relationship in a more multi-faceted reality.
Quote by Siro78
But its an industry these days. Fight. The. Power.

There's a guitar industry too . . .
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Last edited by sSyLc at Jan 13, 2009,
Quote by LedZeppelin9345

no girl is good enough to marry
LOYAL?
HARD WORKING?
FULLY EXPENDABLE?

THE EMPIRE NEEDS YOU!
IT'S NOT ABOUT PAY, IT'S ABOUT CRUSHING THE REBELLION
Quote by maggot_69
no girl is good enough to marry

lol. No girl you've met, clearly.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
I figure if I am with someone long enough, I am practically married. A legal marriage is just an excuse for me to get presents and a vast amount of money. Hopefully this doesn't take away any sexual things, inadvertantly, when the time comes (as someone has suggested).
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Not everyone gets married, after a certain amount of time living together the law treats you the same. You just better hope she feels the same way
I'm pretty sure it's not marriage that reduces the amount of sex, it's just a reduction in sex drive that comes with age. If anything, religious girls who want to get married are more likely to put out once they have the ring on.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Been there, done that.

I'd say be with someone because you want to be with them, not because you are married to them. I doubt I'll be doing it again, despite the fact that I love the girl I'm with now.
Quote by kezzaguy
Not everyone gets married, after a certain amount of time living together the law treats you the same. You just better hope she feels the same way

no it doesn't. it treats you better than a normal couple who've only lived together for a short amount of time, but not the same as those who've gone through the legal marriage.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Final !mpact

Yeah marriage is BS

You don't need a ring to be with the one you love forever
The couple receives tax benefits for being married, that is the main problem with outlawing gay marriage, it prevents them from having access to those tax benefits. That is just an agnostics take on it, I am sure marriage has even deeper meaning within any given church
Quote by Howard2k
Been there, done that.

I'd say be with someone because you want to be with them, not because you are married to them. I doubt I'll be doing it again, despite the fact that I love the girl I'm with now.

Sure, be with someone because you want to, but everyone has rough patches, and it's not always best to just call it quits when times aren't their finest.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
just for legal sake, its easier but most people want marriage as a sign of commitment and security. Say your with someone for a long time unmarried and they just get up and leave one day, you have no security, they could take any possesions and money and it can get ugly.
but I agree, marriage has little meaning these days and I dont think a peice of paper should be the thing you need to show that you are commited to someone but thats just the way it goes.
" Did You know, in Tibet, if they want something, do you know what they do? They give something away."

"Do they ? That must be why they're such a dominant global power."
Quote by Final !mpact
Does getting married really do or mean anything?

Yes. The government acknowledges your togetherness and gives you more money. There are other legal bonuses.

I was thinking about it the other day and all marriages seem to do is complicate things with divorces (which can lead to legal battles and shi-) and all that sort of stuff.

That varies from couple to couple. Some people are inseperable some people fight all the time. Which is why you don't marry a person you've only gone out with for a year. You have to live with the person. See what he or she is like for 2-3 years, etc, etc,.
Personaly I'd rather have a girl friend when I'm 60 than a wife.

Unless you're an old man banging 20 year old chicks, your 60 year old girlfriend will put out as much as a 60 year old wife.

Have i missed something here?

I got you covered.
Quote by Final !mpact
WTF, why do i have to get married. I don't see the point in it.

The thing is.... I know I want to get married within the next however many years.... yet I can't really explain why. I just do. It's just what you do.

Not a religious thing either. My parents have been happily married for over 20 years now though so eh it's not all bad.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
it's an indication to the other person that you're ready to committ to having a "house" together, children together and a loving relationship. otherwise you could be at different stages of your relationship and it'll all fall apart or you'll split up with no indication of who gets what.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
I don't want kids or marriage. I'd basically lose all freedom... but who knows, I might change my mind later on in life.
Quote by 'Leviathan'
I don't want kids or marriage. I'd basically lose all freedom... but who knows, I might change my mind later on in life.

Only if you marry some bitch
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Woman in wedding dress = !!!!!

You have to admit wedding dresses are sexy
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
Quote by Liam.

urgh! i find them a turn off actually.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
It's stupid aside for the tax benefits.You don't need a piece of paper to prove your ****ing goddamn commitment.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Quote by Liam.

Hot chick in a Sailor Uniform.
Marriage is a religious thing. I have no idea why any (non-theocratic) government recognizes it. Civil Unions are really the only thing the governments should be concerned with anyways... which is what you would become after living together for 7 or more years (according to US Law) and probably something similar in European/Australian Law.

But marriage is simply a final step toward showing devotion to someone... and a good excuse for her to stop putting out when "she might have a headache tomorrow."
Me? Why yes, I am getting married, in June. I'm engaged right now.

She's perfect, she always sits quietly and listens to me when I need her, never pushes me to go too fast. She's really earthy, you know, into that whole "hippie" culture, I guess, which is fine with me. And she's a model! How lucky can I get? She's done a few photoshoots for National Geographic and that kind of stuff. Hold on, I think I have a picture of her...

Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Page 1 of 2