I recently bought a LTD Dave Mustaine DV8-r with the EMG 81-85 set secondhand, and the pickups have been playing up something awful.

Firstly, theres alot of static/background noises and hisses from the guitar, even when the volume pot is down for both pickups.

Then, last night as I tried it loud for the first time...The volume pots suddenly stopped controlling the volume and seemed to only cut out some frequencies, cant remember if they were cutting out the highs or mids. :S
Changed the battery - same problem, I checked the cavity for touching wires and couldn't see any...

Anyone have the slightest clue whats going on?!

Cheers, Mike.
How new is wiring to you? It sounds like you've got quite a few ground loops, or no grounding at all. First off, EMG's are not TOTALLY silent. Your guitar must be perfectly shielded and grounded correctly. I don't know how many times that i have said this. It's probably the most important thing (besides obvious hardware, strings) on a guitar that uses any gain at all.

check your wiring, sounds like you have ground loops.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Cool, just was wondering what might be the problem. I knew no pickups at all are totally silent but the guitar went through loops of normal background sound to insane noise. I'm gonna take it into the local music store for a look over in the next few days, I was just really curious to what it coulda been. Cheers for the reply.
Did you wire it yourself, or did a shop do it? Just curious..Because i highly doubt your EMG's are 'fried' because they like up to about 27 volts quite nicely.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Nah, I bought the guitar with these installed by the previous owner, so it may have been him or a shop job. The soldering is pretty clean tbh, so I think it was a shop.
And yeah I knew EMG's take upto 27v easily, I was considering doing the 18v mod until disaster struck last night, hah. My damn luck.
Has it been fine up until last night? And this happened all of a sudden?
Quote by Invader Jim
take it apart and rewire it, but add copper tape shielding, works a treat
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG560
Epiphone G400
Mesa Boogie Recto-verb
Peavey JSX
Marshall MG50
EMG's installation instructions say when installing EMG Active Pickups, DO NOT connect the bridge ground wire. This wire is usually soldered to a volume or tone control casing and goes to the bridge. This wire grounds the strings and uses themand your body as a shield against hum and buzz. It also creates a shock hazard. EMG Pickups are shielded internally and DO NOT require string grounding.

If the person that installed the pickups connected the bridge ground wire it could cause problems. So check and see if it's connected.
THE Saint Jimmy:
Yeah, all at once last night, detuned the guitar to drop to jam withh a buddy 10 min after playing it in working condition it went funny.

Scoopdmids:
I'll try that out, if zakkwyldefan79's idea isn't the problem.

zakkwyldefn79:
Cheers for that info, I did not know that! I dont know if the guitar was ground or not but there was additional hum whenever I wasn't touching the strings, or hardware...I take it the ground wire has been fired onto something metal to try 'n' ground the guitar.

Thanks dudes, I'll have you a lil' progress report soon!

Mike