CROTM: Jimmy Page (Detailed w/ many pics) by Whole Lotta Led Believed to be a late '69 or early 1970 Gold Top. Where he got it is still a bit of a mystery, possibly custom made for him by Gibson. Page did once say it was he got it from a hot rod shop guy which many assume to be Jeff Beck due to his involvement in the car hobby. I do not recall the interview at the moment, I know he said it though. Most likely was bought/received afer the Black Beauty was stolen. Earliest known live appearance is August 1970, and it would be used in September 1970 as well. No evidence of Page with it again until the 1973 US Tour when it was used for Whole Lotta Love and Over the Hills and Far Away. The guitar would return again as the main backup in 1977 frequently being used for Over the Hills and Far Away.

I found these pics over @ LZ forum, dated 22 January 1973 Southampton University. Pretty rare as the guitar really wasn't all that visible for a length of time until they hit the US 4 months latter...

Dazed...

BTW this show (1/22/73) was multi-track recorded and is available in bootlegs circles
Last edited by threemilesmile at Jan 13, 2009,
i heard that joe walsh i think ...someone from the eagles had it custom made for jimmy, he had it changed to make it easier for him to use the bow, i'm not sure if its that guitar or some other one
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
Now this is an interesting conversation piece! Probably a broken string or problem with his #1, I'll have to listen through the show again. Don't recall anything at the moment. I'll have to edit my post now, thank you very much for posting these pics.

Quote by Clutch32192
i heard that joe walsh i think ...someone from the eagles had it custom made for jimmy, he had it changed to make it easier for him to use the bow, i'm not sure if its that guitar or some other one

Page's #1 was from Walsh, he bought it in April '69. Page's tech messed with the bridge on his #2 to make it easier for bowing, despite the gutiar being rarely used. The orgins of #3 aren't quite known yet. All that's known is it was a late '69 goldtop, possible early '70, resprayed the red color.
Last edited by Whole Lotta Led at Jan 13, 2009,
Nice! Listened through the Southampton show earlier, no mention of a broken string or problem on #1. There is a 30 second period right before the bow solo in Dazed where he isn't playing anything almost sounds like he is flipping the switch on a guitar too, could have switched then if he was having a problem, generally didn't take him that long to get the bow either.
Last edited by Whole Lotta Led at Jan 14, 2009,