Read it. Play it. Thats how.
Its not really something that can be taught simply over a thread i don't think. If you're serious bout learning to read music, a book, or lessons may be more useful
Know the fretboard
Know the musical staff
Know a few major scale shapes (suprisingly helpfull)
Know major scale theory (also helpfull)

After that it just takes practise
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Get a tune a day book or something - they are really basic but great at teaching you how to read music as well as how to play the basics of the instrument. It will probably take a while before you can read sheet music fluenty, its kind of like learning to read another language.
My guitar teacher can sheet read Bach compositions and stuff and he said that it took him about 4-5 years before he could do it at the speed he can now.
Go grab a book that teaches it. (specifically for guitar) I do admit, some of the songs they have you play will sound pretty stupid, but at least your learning.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
My guitar teacher can sheet read Bach compositions and stuff and he said that it took him about 4-5 years before he could do it at the speed he can now.

4-5 years is pretty long to learn to read.

I can probably learn to read + write 3 languages in that time

Also I'm learning sheet right now too.

I just search for random irish fiddle tunes and other traditional songs which are fairly easy to read.

^^ and it's probably like learning a new language, but I think easier, since it's pure logic. While grammar and other rules for "real" language are so illogical at times, + 1000+ words to remember :P

Hmmm I begin to wonder now how many words I know. LOL

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 13, 2009,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
4-5 years is pretty long to learn to read.

I can probably learn to read + write 3 languages in that time

Quite modest aren't we? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Bach compositions are difficult, probably extremely if they're the original thing (not rearranged for the guitar or written in tabs), so playing them at full speeds would take a LONG time.
Quote by voteforpedro36
Quite modest aren't we? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Bach compositions are difficult, probably extremely if they're the original thing (not rearranged for the guitar or written in tabs), so playing them at full speeds would take a LONG time.

True, but check out a language.

All the rules of building a sentence and which form of words to use.

+ how speaking and writing/reading also differs;

Knight = night

Read, reed,

Real, reel

+ same words different meaning

mine as in (that pencil is mine) and mine (a coalmine)

And english is 1 of the most logical, I don't even want to get you started at the irregularities of my (Dutch) language.

Still these languages if you study 1 hour a day can easily be learned in 2 - 3 years. not 5 years.

If it would take 5 years, then you can only learn 4 languages every 20 years loool

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 13, 2009,
Im guessing it didnt take him 5 years to learn to read it. It took him 5 years to be able to read and play a bach composition straight away on the guitar with no delay and probably very few mistakes, and im guessing most of bach's stuff isnt the easiest stuff in the world.
Learning to read sheet is similar to learning a language but it isn't the same thing Darren.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Hmmm okay^^

Athough I just started with sightreading, for some reason I don't think it takes me 5 years. that's longer then I play guitar

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by voteforpedro36

Difficult to play maybe, but not read. It takes a while to be able to do it at a fast pace, but i don't see why it would take years. Unless maybe you meant sight reading which is a bit different.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig

To Nilpferdkoenig: Do you mean the stuff Bach wrote specifically for the guitar like inventions right? Most of the stuff he wrote for the guitar is only hard because of the positioning. If you play them in open position it gets easy. I started learning to read sheet music and play guitar when I started to learn guitar.

This is to "amd123" from now. You should buy one of those progressive books with basic songs, that teach you from the beginning. Of course they'll only have one voice, when you start learning to read more than one voice ask for advice again.
Quote by amd123
do it? how i do?

Your best bet is to learn the fifth position first, and in the key of C major so that you don't have to worry about accidentals.

Start of basic, reading only within the staff, then move to a max of 3 ledger lines above and below the staff.

Try and find a short piece of music like 12 bars long, but don't read it in order. Jump to different bars, read backwards, stuff like this helps to develop your eye movement.

The best advice tho, is just to get a good book. There's loads out there.

Edit: One more tip, if you can, surround yourself with other musicians who can read better than you.
Last edited by mdc at Jan 14, 2009,
Quote by GoldenGuitar
To Nilpferdkoenig: Do you mean the stuff Bach wrote specifically for the guitar like inventions right? Most of the stuff he wrote for the guitar is only hard because of the positioning. If you play them in open position it gets easy. I started learning to read sheet music and play guitar when I started to learn guitar.

I have no idea but the sheet looked something like this.

and he sight read it

of course half of that is in bass key so kinda impossible on a guitar but you get my drift
Last edited by Nilpferdkoenig at Jan 14, 2009,
Darren, he is not implying that it took 5 years to learn how to read. He is, however, implying that it took 5 years in order to take a random piece and play it without conversion and to play it correctly with said nuances above the sheet. Perhaps you didn't understand what he said... but if you did then here's a timeline for you. I'll give you three months to learn to read, then i can present you with a random piece and within half an hour you must have it recorded with guitar and placed up on your profile.
Quote by evolucian
Darren, he is not implying that it took 5 years to learn how to read. He is, however, implying that it took 5 years in order to take a random piece and play it without conversion and to play it correctly with said nuances above the sheet. Perhaps you didn't understand what he said... but if you did then here's a timeline for you. I'll give you three months to learn to read, then i can present you with a random piece and within half an hour you must have it recorded with guitar and placed up on your profile.

nty I stick with my ear , and if the piece is not to long or absurd, I'll have it up on my profile in 5 minutes lol.

And you mean sightreading, yes that can be difficult, but 5 years for someone who's professionally involved with music seems awkwardly long.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 15, 2009,
I did a bit of theory from a book, it was pretty confusing, a lot of fill in the staff excersises but I guess I didn't stick with it long enough to really be able to sight read. Its much easier on piano because it has only one position for each note. You have to think about the time you will have to spend learning vs time you could be practicing.
Last edited by macjac at Jan 15, 2009,
He is, however, implying that it took 5 years in order to take a random piece and play it without conversion and to play it correctly with said nuances above the sheet.
That is what you needed to read, Darren. And it's not really that long in order to read the posted piece fluently. Playing by ear is great, I have no qualms with it at all. But learning to read is also great.

5 minutes however, is a long shot. Stroking as normal I see.
Quote by evolucian
He is, however, implying that it took 5 years in order to take a random piece and play it without conversion and to play it correctly with said nuances above the sheet.
That is what you needed to read, Darren. And it's not really that long in order to read the posted piece fluently. Playing by ear is great, I have no qualms with it at all. But learning to read is also great.

5 minutes however, is a long shot. Stroking as normal I see.

Sorry my english is not my first language, and I change from talking dutch to reading english like 20 times a day, It gets mixed up sometimes in my head.

If I can play it technical wise, I can transcribe it that fast. If it uses sounds i've never played myself or if it's uber technical fast or bad sound quality, then it will take a bit longer, because it's new territory, but still do-able.

The only artist I have problems with that I know off is some of Guthrie's stuff, cause sometimes he does stuff, and I'm like 'mmmm kay what the **** did u do there'

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by BigFatSandwich
whaaat?! no it isn't.

You telling me it's 1 of the most inlogical/hard to learn language?

Japanese has 3 alphabets and Dutch has more exceptions than logic lol.

My dad's born in England, and he's been living + working here in The netherlands for over 20 years, and has still makes some problems with Dutch Grammar (due to exceptions which are normally ingrained in ur childhood if you grew up with dutch and have no logical sense other then "that's just how it is")

Take walking.

In english it's logical

easy; it's either walk; -ed or -ing
I walk, walked
You walk, walked
We walk, walked
we were walking
We walked

Here it's' L; - iep, -oop, -open, -en, (ge) + -oopt
Ik loop, liep
jij loopt, liep
wij lopen. liepen
we liepen
We hebben geloopt

These words are quite the same;
I am
You are
We are

Dutch:
third word totally no relation in spelling to the first 2,
Ik ben
jij bent
wij zijn

See all the irregular and illogical connections?

There are even more crazy exception, these are the simple ones. Trust me our language is ****ed up for foreigners lol.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 15, 2009,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
You telling me it's 1 of the most inlogical/hard to learn language?

Japanese has 3 alphabets and Dutch has more exceptions than logic lol.

My dad's born in England, and he's been living + working here in The netherlands for over 20 years, and has still makes some problems with Dutch Grammar (due to exceptions which are normally ingrained in ur childhood if you grew up with dutch and have no logical sense other then "that's just how it is")

The english language has a ton of those too, though.

Ha. But I deleted that post because I didn't want to argue this.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Last edited by BigFatSandwich at Jan 15, 2009,
Quote by BigFatSandwich
The english language has a ton of those too, though.

Ha. But I deleted that post because I didn't want to argue this.

Ah np, but I can speak both Languages, so I know the comparison. Even with dutch being my main language, I still find english far more logical

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by amd123
do it? how i do?
Your screwed brother.
Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT HH in Crimson Red
Reverend Sensei HB FM in Tobacco Burst
Fender Vintage C Neck, HH, Surf Green Nitrocellulose (Handmade)

Egnater Rebel-30 MKI Head
Egnater Tourmaster Series 412B 280W 4x12 Cabinet
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Ah np, but I can speak both Languages, so I know the comparison. Even with dutch being my main language, I still find english far more logical

Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
thereare hundreds of books out there that teach this thats how i learnt to read it, you should buy one, it took a couple of years for me to read properly with a bit of speed
It probably wouldn't take a huge length of time to learn to read basic sheet music if you know your way around the fret board really well, but something more complicated when there are lots of effects, lots of notes way above or below the stave, a changes in clefs/key sigs/time sigs and lots of dynamics and musical directions, it would probably take a while

I dunno though - I learned to read music about the same time I learned to read