I'm sure this have been posted about a thousand times before, but here it goes:

I have a Squier Affinity Strat. It works decently on my Roland Cube 30x, but here's the thing.

I really want a Fender Stratocaster..but I'm a bit short on cash, so I want to upgrade the one I have with an EMG DG-20 pickup set, and buy a Fender Neck...it's cheaper than buying a new Fender (plus that Gilmour is my favorite guitarist <3)
I started to wonder when one of my friends (who's really up to guitars) told me that it's not too much of a point, and he'd recommend that I bought a Mexico instead, and upgraded that one later. He meant that Squier/JapFender had cheap body and electronics, Fender Mexico had decent body but cheap electronics, and that Fender U.S.A had a good body and good electrics.

Can anyone confirm this, and what does the body have to do with the sound anyways?

Thanks
Will
Squier Affinity Strat modified with EMG DG20
Roland Cube 30x
EHX Big Muff pi w/ Tone and Wicker Switch
Boss DS-1
Boss OD-2
Boss DD-3
DOD FX66 Flashback Fuzz

Quote by 1dan1the1man1
hate steve vai. what a panzie
Last edited by xVDHx at Jan 13, 2009,
the Japanese built fenders are of a very high quality......i dont know what your friend is up to saying they are comparable to squiers.

edit:

also, yes the mexi strats are of a lower quality than the americans (duh), but if you buy, say a standard mexi strat, i would buy it used. with it being used, the guitar has had time to "settle in", and any body/hardware/electronic defects would have been noticed.

also, if you buy a mexi strat, just take a day or so to give the guitar a good once-over, and dont be afraid to make cosmetic changes (sanding done band spots on the neck joint, fixing gaps, polishing up the frets, redoing all the wiring) that will change an average guitar into a very nice playing instrument.
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Jan 13, 2009,
Your friend is going to be visited by the japanese luthiers and beat down tbh. He best run to mexico..coz obviously he bums that country *anger*
Aha, I c
A used Fender 72' Stratocaster Re-issue Japan can be bought for around $715..says "a few marks here and there"

Good buy?
Roland Cube 30x
Boss DS-1
Boss OD-2
Boss DD-3
DOD FX66 Flashback Fuzz

Quote by 1dan1the1man1
You are correct...this topic has been discussed a thousand times....and within the last week there are probably 5 different threads that have discussed the differencess between the strats.

Anyways, Jap Squires are actually pretty good guitars, I have a buddy who owns 8 guitars, and the only one he plays regularly is his beat up jap. strat.
But back to the other question, what does the different bodies do to the sound quality?
Roland Cube 30x
Boss DS-1
Boss OD-2
Boss DD-3
DOD FX66 Flashback Fuzz

Quote by 1dan1the1man1
Quote by Skierinanutshel
same pups, same strings, same player, same amp.....

do an A/B blind test, and there isnt really any noticable difference between the two.

Ok, so I can do what I plan, save a truckload of money and still get as good results as I would with a Fender Japan/USA/Mexico?
Roland Cube 30x
Boss DS-1
Boss OD-2
Boss DD-3
DOD FX66 Flashback Fuzz

Quote by 1dan1the1man1
Quote by xVDHx
Ok, so I can do what I plan and save a truckload of money?

i wouldnt call it a truckload, but you will save some.

after you buy the guitar (please buy it used) make the pup change, maybe change out some of the hardware to higher quality parts, and give it a good once-over, you will have saved some money.

but remember, it isnt about what a little "made in" stamp says on the headstock....it is about how you feel when you play the instrument thats makes it sound good.

edit: oh, you are gonna do this all to your squier. still, it is a great idea, and will turn out really nice in the end....and will save you even more money in the end.
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Jan 13, 2009,
Quote by xVDHx

I have a Squier Affinity Strat.
I really want a Fender Stratocaster..but I'm a bit short on cash

I think you answered this yourself. Work on upgrading the squier, especially if you like how it plays. Once you upgrade the pups they can be pretty decent guitars. In the end it isn't "worth" more but like said above you will have a nice player until you can afford a nice strat - if you even still want one after that.
japanese fenders (non-export, anyway) are great. i prefer them to mexican ones. i don't know what your friend's smoking, unless he's talking about the export ones, where he may have a bit of a point.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?