I've decided to look for a shredding guitar.

A few points that the guitar should have:

double locking Floyd Rose
24 Frets
Preferably EMGs
Reverse Head

I have my eye on the Jackson MG Series DKMG Dinky.

Any suggestions. Anything is helpful.

Reviews help. Thank you.
i dont know much about shredding guitars, but i know that jackson players can do it really well. i also know Never buy a gibson Shred-x explorer.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

once again Ibanez RG series
it may not be what you are looking for but they are very good guitars for shred
possibly the best actualy
Paul gilbert sig has a reverse headstock i think. Pickup change and your mum's your uncle, woo
here you go. Blows away any jackson and stands up with high end ibanezes. If you want to pay 1400 dollars go ahead, but this guitar plays nearly just as well if not as well (neck is slightly thicker than ibanezes though, but still pretty thin considering its set through neck. I love mine (color is actually a darker blue in real life...just looks brighter in picture for some reason). Esp isn't going to make these anymore since they don't make much money off them because they have more stuff put into them than some of their more expensive signature series...so i suggest you get it now.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-MH400-Electric-Guitar?sku=516684

you wont regret it (no reverse head though, but whatever)
Last edited by firebird103 at Jan 13, 2009,
I would suggest a Schecter Hellraiser, It's a great guitar, affordable, and the only Schecter that plays comfortably.
If you laugh at this I get to have sex with you.
Click here to see the most beautiful guitar imaginable.
Quote by Jeltz
Sukman_Jr: Going on a trip to Finmark in Norway is a bad idea aswell! Beware of Nazi-zombies!
Wow, Thanks alot guys. All look really great.

Price isn't really a problem. As long as it's not completely rediculous.

Currently browsing the RG's and the Ibanez RG5EX1 has definately caught my eye and the ESP is stunning.

Anyways, please keep the suggestions coming
Ibanez for sure or jackson as you mentioned, Gilbert, Vai, and Satch use Ibanez so that should tell you something
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
The Ibanez RG5EX1 is a really nice guitar. I think it will fit your needs perfectly and the price isn't a budget breaker.
Woot. Jackson DKMG Dinky. Has EMG 81/85's, double locking tremolo and under $800 bucks. ($800 if you want the Cobalt Blue Swirl). Seriously, I don't know about the Ibanez series but the Jackson is great. You wouldn't be disappointed.
http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/all/s211P01080957651/

Better tremolo than a Floyd Rose, and I know it has 22 frets and a standard head, but Eddie Van Halen, one of the fathers of shred, has 22 frets on even his new Wolfgang. So does the Ibanez JS, and frankly the reverse head thing is just aesthetic.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by necrosis1193
http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/all/s211P01080957651/

Better tremolo than a Floyd Rose, and I know it has 22 frets and a standard head, but Eddie Van Halen, one of the fathers of shred, has 22 frets on even his new Wolfgang. So does the Ibanez JS, and frankly the reverse head thing is just aesthetic.

It's nice. But it's not what i'm looking for just now. I want something in a completely different style to my other guitars and the 24 frets is a must for me.

Thanks, regardless.
Quote by Flazork
It's nice. But it's not what i'm looking for just now. I want something in a completely different style to my other guitars and the 24 frets is a must for me.

Thanks, regardless.

Other guitar? I may be able to give better recommendations if I know what it is, if you told me, I'd be up for giving another suggestion.

ibanex all the way
thinnest necks and super flat fretboards make for great shred
Quote by HeavyDT
ibanex all the way

dems call Ibanez

ESP HORIZON FR-II

* Neck-Thru-Body
* 25.5” Scale
* Mahogany Body
* Quilted Maple Top
* Maple Neck
* Ebony Fingerboard
* Locking Nut
* 42mm Neck Width
* Thin U Neck Contour
* 24 XJ Frets
* Black Nickel Hardware
* Gotoh Tuners
* Floyd Rose Bridge
* EMG 81 (B) / 85 (N) p.u.
* Finish: STR

ESPM-II NTB

* Neck-Thru-Body
* 25.5” Scale
* Alder Body
* Maple Neck
* Rosewood Fingerboard
* Locking Nut
* 43mm Neck Width
* Extra Thin U Neck Contour
* 24 XJ Frets
* Black Nickel Hardware
* Gotoh Tuners
* Floyd Rose Bridge
* EMG 81 (B&N) Active p.u.
* Finish: BLK

LTD F-250

* Neck-Thru-Body
* 25.5” Scale
* Agathis Body
* Maple Neck
* Rosewood Fingerboard
* Locking Nut
* 42mm Neck Width
* Extra Thin U Neck Contour
* 24 XJ Frets
* Black Nickel Hardware
* ESP Tuners
* Double-Locking Bridge
* ESP LH-301 (B&N) p.u. w/ Push-Pull Coil Tap on Tone Control
* Finish: BLK, MS
A cheaper LTD make

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I you want a shred-guitar, why the hell would you want EMG's? You should choose a guitar with pretty medium output pickups so that when you turn up your distortion you don't get a muddy tone. I can't understand how anyone can like that muddy tone that comes from EMG's with high gain on the amp.

edit: And for shred, EMG's is not a good choice of pickups, look at many famous shredders and you will find they have medium-output pickups in their guitars.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Last edited by HomerSGR at Jan 13, 2009,
Quote by HomerSGR
I you want a shred-guitar, why the hell would you want EMG's? You should choose a guitar with pretty medium output pickups so that when you turn up your distortion you don't get a muddy tone. I can't understand how anyone can like that muddy tone that comes from EMG's with high gain on the amp.

edit: And for shred, EMG's is not a good choice of pickups, look at many famous shredders and you will find they have medium-output pickups in their guitars.

Not really true, the better attack and sustain of the hi outputs are a true bonus when shredding, you just have to tweak your tone and turn the gain down a bit.
Quote by necrosis1193
Other guitar? I may be able to give better recommendations if I know what it is, if you told me, I'd be up for giving another suggestion.

Got a Dean Cadillac 1980.

Love it to bits.

@HomerSGR: What guitar would you recommend then?

@EndtheRapture51: Wow, Nice. Thanks for the detailed post. They all look great.
Quote by firebird103
here you go. Blows away any jackson and stands up with high end ibanezes. If you want to pay 1400 dollars go ahead, but this guitar plays nearly just as well if not as well (neck is slightly thicker than ibanezes though, but still pretty thin considering its set through neck. I love mine (color is actually a darker blue in real life...just looks brighter in picture for some reason). Esp isn't going to make these anymore since they don't make much money off them because they have more stuff put into them than some of their more expensive signature series...so i suggest you get it now.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-MH400-Electric-Guitar?sku=516684

you wont regret it (no reverse head though, but whatever)

lies!
Having a set thru neck doesnt mean its thin. In fact, if you ask me, the LTD doesnt have a thin neck. Its no baseball gibson 50's neck, but it aint thin either.
LIES! LIES! LIES!

Go sell your tales somewhere else please...

If you ask me, you are perfect with the DKMG you proposed. Or try to get an slsmg if you have enough money. That would be the best choice imo (if you really want the active EMG pickups).
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Jan 13, 2009,
Give Ibanez a look, especially the RG series.
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.
Quote by HeavyDT
ibanez all the way

+1
I'd definitely go for one of their RGs as well.
Quote by Flazork
Got a Dean Cadillac 1980.

Love it to bits.

Hmm...well, if you want something rather different, to be honest, get something with single-coils or something semihollow. A shred guitar to offset a "chunka-chunka" guitar(not sure the actual term for the type) doesn't work quite right.

I would recommend a Jackson RR3 ( I own one, shred is awesome) or an Ibanez Jem, not, for the love of God an RG!!! Some Rg's are okay, and some sound like they're made out of plywood being played through a tin can...
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

A Peavey V-type might be less of a burden price-wise, and it's got everything you want except the EMG's. The stock pickups ARE high output, though.
Quote by HomerSGR

EMG's are perfect IMO. Especially if you're going for a Zakk Wylde type of shred.
Look into ESP -LTD m-1000, KH models, or m-400/401
PURPLE IS SEXY