hi, im thinking about gradually upgrading my bass amp, i could do with a little more volume and slightly better tone (my ear for bass tone has only recently developed)

atm i have a *flameshield* marshall MB4210. (2x10")

300w into 4ohm. with extension cab: 450w into 2ohm

i came up with a great idea, as follows:

1) buy 1x15" 4ohm extension cab for my amp, run at 450w

2) trade my amp in for a powerful head, ideally around 300w at 4ohm

3) upgrade cab, possibly to a 210 for home practice to be teamed up with a 115 for gigs

it's slightly compicated by my amp needing a fairly low load, 4 or 2 ohms so cab matching can be tricky if i still want full power.

it's also complicated by the fact that im on a fairly tight budget. i could get a good £200 for my amp now and i dont have tons to add.

right, new gear.

i like laneys, the RB9 looks decent, i like the smaller RBs too

the GK backline 600 caught my eye, big name, big power, little price. (a lot like my marshall )

is this crap? are the backline cabs crap too?

the other option is to wait til september when i'll have a job and be rich and go mad on a trace halfstack

i plan to browse the shops on saturday i might even test some amps out

cheers,

Steve.
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Last edited by stevo_epi_SG_wo at Jan 13, 2009,
Have you though about an ashdown mag, 300 watts at 4 ohms, or hartke ha3500. both very cheap and alot going second hand and what not. Matching cabs arent expensive eitheir. I havent played the laneys and i didnt like the backline.

I dont think yout marshall would go down to 2 ohms would it. Are you sure it isnt 8 ohms at the mo.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Have you though about an ashdown mag, 300 watts at 4 ohms, or hartke ha3500. both very cheap and alot going second hand and what not. Matching cabs arent expensive eitheir. I havent played the laneys and i didnt like the backline.

I dont think yout marshall would go down to 2 ohms would it. Are you sure it isnt 8 ohms at the mo.

nope, it's definately 4 ohm, 300w/2ohm 450w

i think that'd be 2x4 ohm cabs somehow in parallel

i've practised with a MAG but the 410 would be a stretch budgetwise, i'll definately look used though.

the HA3500 looks nice but i'd have to cheap out on a cab
I'd wait till you get a job, save up, and get a decent rig. Maybe save AND sell the marshall, if you won't use it.

Stay away from the backline...I think the best word I have to describe them is "meh".
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
I'd wait till you get a job, save up, and get a decent rig. Maybe save AND sell the marshall, if you won't use it.

Stay away from the backline...I think the best word I have to describe them is "meh".

i think you might be right, i think i'd be on to a winner if the backline was any good.

no point in "upgrading" if im just going to upgrade from that in a few months
Ya mutant corn made a point, i sold my rumble over a month ago and am saving, and trying to find one. Im weird with rigs though.

The hartke lh500 would be nice or the lh1000, what do music do you play.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
If your gonna buy a cab now, get the funds, sell the marshall at the same time.

Okay, get a 1x15 at 8Ohms with funds.
Sell your marshall too get a 300watt head at 4Ohms.
You'll be running at 200-220 watts but thats still loud enough untill you get a 2x10 8Ohm cab and get 300watts out of it.

If you buy a 4Ohms 1x15 to go with the marshall. You'll have to change that too, as its 4ohms. now then you've gotta find a 40hms 2x10 and a head that'll go too 2ohms, that'll be hard on a budget.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
Can i ask, what do you think youre budget will end up being.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Ya mutant corn made a point, i sold my rumble over a month ago and am saving, and trying to find one. Im weird with rigs though.

The hartke lh500 would be nice or the lh1000, what do music do you play.

im in a rythm and blues band and a rock band, so tone isnt super important. i do like to play funk though so a nice slap tone would be good. preferable a decent EQ arrangement, the mid freq/mid cut/boost thing on my marshall drives me mad

Quote by pandathe3
If your gonna buy a cab now, get the funds, sell the marshall at the same time.

Okay, get a 1x15 at 8Ohms with funds.
Sell your marshall too get a 300watt head at 4Ohms.
You'll be running at 200-220 watts but thats still loud enough untill you get a 2x10 8Ohm cab and get 300watts out of it.

If you buy a 4Ohms 1x15 to go with the marshall. You'll have to change that too, as its 4ohms. now then you've gotta find a 40hms 2x10 and a head that'll go too 2ohms, that'll be hard on a budget.

good plan.

Quote by fatgoogle
Can i ask, what do you think youre budget will end up being.

atm, £250ish for the marshall and i dont have tons to add, so if i cant find a decent cheap head i think it might be a pointless endevour

today i sat down and had a PROPER good mess around with my amp, and found some good tones in there, it's just patience with the retarded EQ system. its a first practise on sunday so if i need volume i can always go for the marshall 115 which wont break the bank

also: if all goes well i'll have a job in september and www.gak.co.uk is my oyster. so i'm thinking along the lines of a trace 715x + 210 cab =]

EDIT: i have a MIM jazz and a P bass special if it helps
Last edited by stevo_epi_SG_wo at Jan 14, 2009,
Well the main problem with marshall is there cabs, i really advice getting a different brand cab. Ashdown, hartke, peavey are all good.

Oh that trace elliot is amazing, expensive but amazing, and gak is the cheapest out there. Ive seen one go on ebay second hand so keep an eye out.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
the problem is that marshalls have low impedances, so i'd need a 4ohm extension

suggestions?

but yea i think i'll go for the long term option and sit tight for now
Here's my two cents. If you want more wattage now, buy an extension cab for the Marshall, but buy one that you will use in your later rig, probably an 8 ohm (depending if the head you ideally want is 4 ohm minimum or 2 ohm). Then, when you have money, buy the head that you want, don't compromise. When you feel the need for more, buy another cab to throw under it. I recommend buying a head that can push more than 300 watts @ 4 ohms so that you can have around 250-300 watts when you only have the one cab. Then, when and if (this way you also don't NEED a second cab because you have decent wattage without it) you buy a second cab you can unleash the full potential of the amp.

That would be what I would do.
^ agreed on all but the wattage....there isn't going to be a huge difference between a 300W head and a 500W one through the same cab. He'd be fine with 150 or so until he got the second cab.

Here's a thought...combine both ideas and get the Ashdown 115 that goes under the MAG 300, and then when you're ready for it get the combo and have the instant 300W 3/4 stack.
Nope, no sig here.
I have the RB9 and is a great great amp for the money, you can get from very growly sound to a very clean sound also it haves a DI exit if you want to hear the amp check my profile