hey you x)

Tomorrow I'll have my first band practice in my whole life. We'll be trying to cover some easy songs from Blink182 or a German band called "Die Aerzte" during our first practice. So I have a question:

Is there anything to take care about for the first band practice? Should I change strings before (this set is on since the beginning of December, usually I change them every 3 months)? What's about the volume? Should I hear all of my band members?

I'll be playing the guitar, other guys will be playing drums, bass, another guitar and one poor guy is forced to do the vocals x)

Everything in short: Just give me tips for my first band practice please

greetz quAck
Beer is fine.
Just go in and have a blast. Don't set your hopes to high and have fun, everything should just work itself out.
Enjoy it! thats all you should be worrying about.
You'll all work together to figure out volume accordingly and placements within practising.

Don't worry about strings, if they snap during it oh well, not as if you are playing Wembley!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
don't put strings on right before you'll have bandpractice/gigs etc. cause they'll get out of tune faster when they're new. and off course you should hear all your band members! the drummer usually sets the standard for the volume since you can't just lower the volume of it.

edit: and yeah, just have fun!
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by quAck91
hey you x)

Tomorrow I'll have my first band practice in my whole life. We'll be trying to cover some easy songs from Blink182 or a German band called "Die Aerzte" during our first practice. So I have a question:

Is there anything to take care about for the first band practice? Should I change strings before (this set is on since the beginning of December, usually I change them every 3 months)? What's about the volume? Should I hear all of my band members?

I'll be playing the guitar, other guys will be playing drums, bass, another guitar and one poor guy is forced to do the vocals x)

Everything in short: Just give me tips for my first band practice please

greetz quAck

That is the point. Have fun, listen to the other band members play, and what the have to say, share ideas, etc.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
ok thank you
that was pretty much was expected but i just wanted to go sure and check the tips of more experienced band members :P

thanks
Beer is fine.
If you guys are planning to cover songs, it helps a lot if everyone learns the songs before they show up. A bit late to tell them now, but discussing songs that everyone would like to cover is a must. It's extremely frustrating to be in a cover band and one person hasn't learnt the song for practice. It involves everyone waiting for this guy to catch on, wondering why they're at practice at all.

Otherwise, first band practice is all what others say, if it's the first time you've played with other people, make sure that you listen to the others in the band, especially the drums. A good band has to be one tight unit, not a mess of instruments all over the place.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Yeah, a first practice is less about the music and more about just trying to see if you get along with the other guys. When people don't get invited back, it's usually because the others didn't like him, not cuz he sucked (although both are good reasons).

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
are you guys gonna be a cover band or write originals or both? if your set on doing covers, as said above, make sure everyone knows them first, or can jam on them, otherwise it will be a waste of time, trust me. our band has one cover, its the simplest damn song in the world, but we make it our own, not a direct cover. dont try to over structure anything otherwise it will end in disaster. i'd say jam. have your drummer start a beat or guitarist with a riff, let the bassist follow, then work the guitar(s) or drums in. have fun and expect nothing out of your first practice other than getting to understand each others pros, cons and maybe a direction to start your first song in. talk about what you guys wana do, and be open to everyone elses ideas.