What brand light strings (<11) will give me a full tone? My current strings, which I think I bought a year ago, are D'Addario lights, and they used to look all golden and shinny, but now half of the strings are black... not to mention they smell bad. Not to mention the sound is even worse.

Any recommendations?
Personally, I'd say go with D'Addario's again.

Oh, and a can of finger-ease to keep them in top condition.
I use Elixirs, they last forever and have great tone, but are kind of expensive. $15 a set.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Zakk Wylde Crybaby Wah Pedal
Boss SD-1
They don't last forever and I've told you a million zillion times not to exaggerate :P

Anyways... to the TS I'd say go get whatever strings, but whatever you get try not to go a year before you change them again. You'd clean yourself and change your clothes BEFORE you started smelling so treat your guitar the same.
I think I used electric guitar strings on my acoustic before... Is there a significant different?
Haha, I've never had strings smell before. That's funny.

I also use Elixirs, but use the heaviest gauge ones (56). Generally light gauge strings will not give you a "full" tone, after playing for a year you may consider moving up a gauge. The difference in sound will be noticable, as well as the affect on your fingers (hard for about 1-2 weeks).

If you choose the Elixirs, make sure you go with the Nanoweb rather than Polyweb strings.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AGP423
What brand light strings (<11) will give me a full tone? My current strings, which I think I bought a year ago, are D'Addario lights, and they used to look all golden and shinny, but now half of the strings are black... not to mention they smell bad. Not to mention the sound is even worse.

Any recommendations?

Under 11's? Full tone? No such strings exist. I wouldn't suggest you go under 11's unless you have a vintage guitar.

Personally, I don't feel that Elixirs give a very full tone. It's love or hate with elixirs.

My suggestion would be Martins.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I think any strings you put on after not changing them for a year are going to sound great to you. I'm with Captivate, I like martins too, but finding the best strings for you is a matter of trial and error. My suggestion is to spend a few extra dollars on strings over the next six months or so and find a set that you like.
You should change them once they get significantly grey/brown. With me this results in me changing strings about once every three months.

Be warned, the first few days you have a new set of strings on your guitar they sound like crap and you get tons of fret buzz. Just stick with them for a week and they will sort themselves out
Quote by AGP423
I think I used electric guitar strings on my acoustic before... Is there a significant different?

on a scale of significance thats about a 10, putting electics on an acoustic is like using a brick as a pick. buy the light elixers, they sound good just don't play em too hard or your g string will break. but seriously electrics on an acoustic?!? who set up your guitar...Ray Charles?
Quote by biglaz84
on a scale of significance thats about a 10, putting electics on an acoustic is like using a brick as a pick. buy the light elixers, they sound good just don't play em too hard or your g string will break. but seriously electrics on an acoustic?!? who set up your guitar...Ray Charles?

Hahahaa, I bought the guitar new and of course the stock strings had to be replaced. The only available strings I had were an extra for my electric guitar, so I just got lazy and decided to put them on... I just ordered a set of light Elixirs and a set of light Martins. I will use the Martins as experiment strings because I have to replace the nut and the saddle, so if anything, I'll have the cheap strings break. And when everything's all set, I will switch on the Elixirs. Hope they'll do the trick to end the horrible sounds my guitar's been producing.
yeah it should do the trick, ive seen new strings turn even the cheapest pawn shop guitar into something with good tone