Hopefully after selling my '89 American Tele, I wish to buy another Tele. I was thinking a 72 Deluxe. What do you all think about that guitar? I play mostly Indie/Pop/Rock. Single coils aren't doing the trick for me. My budget is about $1,000 USD.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-JJ
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
the 72 deluxe is very nice
prs se's are also cool but may not be your sort of thing

gear
Yamaha Pacifica 612v
Squier Tele
Roland Cube 30x
Freshman Acoustic
I always thought the late '80s MIA Fenders were great guitars? Or so I've been told. I don't see how your sound would improve much by getting a new Tele. I'd just replace the bridge pup of the guitar. For you're styles, a lower output single sized humbucker should work fine. Maybe a Duncan Cool Rails or 'lil '59.
I dig th the 72 Deluxe. Also check out the 72 Thinline. I have one and it sounds great.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
I was thinking about changing the pickup, but it just goes against the way the guitar is supposed to sound. So I'd rather buy a guitar that is meant to sound beefy, and not twangy and thin.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Quote by sloppyjoe109
I was thinking about changing the pickup, but it just goes against the way the guitar is supposed to sound. So I'd rather buy a guitar that is meant to sound beefy, and not twangy and thin.

You're wrong about that, sorry. A thinline tele is still twangy, it's just that the humbuckers on it accentuate the bass and mid frequencies more. If you put humbuckers on a regular tele, the effect will be the same.

See, I have a strat, a guitar nearly as bright as a tele. I put a humbucker in the bridge for rock sounds and it gets the job done now. If I switch to the bridge position, the sound is not twangy at all. It focuses on the mids, making it great for rock sounds.
Ah I see. What do you recommend I put in the bridge then?
Quote by NeverMeant
Well, the Ducncan 'lil '59 and Cool Rails should work fine for your needs. I use the Cool Rails myself and it works beautifully for anything from AC/DC to Iron Maiden. Hell, even the cleans are still okay. If you want some more output though, try out the Hot Rails or the 'lil JB.

It'd be best to try guitars with single sized humbuckers - after all, single sized 'buckers sound a tad different than normal humbuckers, though they work for the same styles of music - they just don't give you as much bass. But the core of every good rock sound, the mids, is there and gives you great tonal results.
The only guitar that comes with a single sized 'bucker in the bridge that I know of is the Fender Vintage Hot Rod, see if you can check that one out.
If you can't find one though, look for guitars with the Seymour Duncan JB or '59 as a stock pup. Those are pretty common and the single sized versions of the JB and '59 (that being the 'lil JB and 'lil '59) have a sound that is nearly identical to the full-sized versions.

The only situation where I believe a single sized 'bucker would not work well is when it comes to music that is very bass-heavy; that being stuff like death metal. But for pop/rock music, single sized ones are nice.

EDIT: Wait a moment, I'll post some more in a second...

EDIT2: Okay, apparently, the 'lil JB and Cool Rails are not available for Teles - but the 'lil '59 and Hot Rails are available:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/telecaster/cutting-edge/hot_rails_for_t/
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/telecaster/cutting-edge/little_59_for_t/

There's also the quarter pounder set, which is only available for Teles and is one of my favourites actually - kinda forgot about it, lol:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/telecaster/progressive/quarter_pound_f_1/

There are sound samples, too:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/audio-samples/tele_jaguar_and/

Dammit I LOVE the sound of the quarter pounder set (sorry that I sound like a sales guy). Sounds pretty rockin' to me.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jan 13, 2009,
Great! thank you so much
Quote by NeverMeant