Poll: What should i do?
Poll Options
View poll results: What should i do?
Follow through with the trade skill idea.
16 48%
You're stupid. Business degree FTW
7 21%
I don't really have an opinion.
10 30%
Voters: 33.
so im sitting in one of my pointless classes today
when i came to realize
what the hell am i doing here?!

im finishing my transfer degree so that i can go to university for a business degree.

although now that i think about it.
i know 2 people with similar degrees, and they're both unhappy with the fact that they spent 4 years in university and are barely making $32,000 a year.

then i realized that a business degree certifies that you are ready to work for some random company upon receipt.

however i have no plans or interest in working a desk job.
if i have any plans of working in a business, it will be my own business.

80% of my family (a lot of people) are running their own businesses and they dont even have business degrees.
so this is what im thinking

why not just go to school (tech college maybe?) for developing a trade skill.
for instance, i have heard that the average welder makes $20-30 /hr.
im making $10/hr and thats a family benefit.

meaning all i have to do is take 3-4 classes on metal working to make roughly
$38-50,000 a year!
and i save myself four years of university
50,000 a year is plenty for to invest in a business of my own
i have learnt or am learning nearly all of the skills to run a business by working with my family.

so why not?

tell me if you think this is logical.
or if there's anything missing from my new agenda
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
I think it sounds reasonable. Business is almost pointless. So many people do it that it's become one of those majors (like communications and such) that you just don't know what occupation it will get you until you get one.
Welding is good if you don't mind being a gritty manly-man.

Another alternate route would be dental hygiene. A dental hygienist with can make 40k dollars a year in a rural area alone. In the cities, it should be considerably more. Most degree programs for it only last a total of two years.

And yes, I agree, there are too many people out there getting business degrees. They're becoming the "Spider III" of college degrees.
Last edited by Xoth at Jan 13, 2009,
I would say university is about more than getting a job at the end of it, although I'm not sure how true that is in a field like business. Speak to your parents and teachers before you do anything.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by Xoth

Another alternate route would be dental hygiene. A dental hygienist with can make 40k dollars a year in a rural area alone. In the cities, it should be considerably more. Most degree programs for it only last a total of two years.

The last dental hygienist I knew committed suicide. True story.
Quote by Xoth

i couldnt deal the the same amount of pain that they did to me last week to anyone else

my dentist wrenched out a molar on friday
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
Quote by lockedandlogan
The last dental hygienist I knew committed suicide. True story.

due to their job, or just because their other life sucked?

Two years to get 40k a year isn't much to sneeze at. Plus, if you got really ambitious, you could probably extend that into a full dentistry degree and have a couple of years knocked off of it

^^^^ Thankfully, dental hygienists aren't the ones doing the pulling or anything. They're the people who do all the simple cleanings and such, and they look for cavities. Then, they send in the dentist to look at your teeth for about 45 seconds and they leave the room.
Last edited by Xoth at Jan 13, 2009,
I hear ya buddy.

College almost seems like a bad investment for someone like me (Myself being A liberal Arts major with no career aspirations or even real intention of getting steady employment right after college.)

It's basically just a big expensive four year summer camp without the councilors (which is cool but not 70,000+ in debt cool.)

My parents are paying for it though (it's a cheap state school and I live at home) so I'm gonna stick it out and try to have some fun with it.

I'm even managing to get decent marks
Quote by Harmonius
If it were me, I'd finish the degree first (you're almost done, right?) and then go to a Trade School, otherwise you would have wasted the years that you were actually at university for. It's just logical to finish it off. That way, you've also got another possible route to a graduate job if your business should fail.

This is also a good idea. Do this, get a trade, then run a business based on that trade.
^^ im in college getting an AA degree to transfer
i havent transfered yet
meaning not in university
Glimsom wrote:
while companies do need welders, it is BORING as hell doing that all day. you have to really like it, even though the pay is good
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
^^dude i work in a convenience store
i know what boring is

edit: im such a stereotype of my ethnicity (arabic)
Glimsom wrote:
Last edited by roarinflames at Jan 13, 2009,
I have a neighbor who is a welder for the Boilermakers of USA... Not exactly sure of what a boilermaker actually does but i know hes a welder for them... THe money is good, when you have work. With the recent economic struggles its going to be really tough to get a welding job, and keep it for a period of time. If you get laid off you collect unemployment but its no where near what you would be making if you were on the job. Its a pretty serious risk youd be taking there.
Member #48 of the Weezer Fan club

Gear.
Epiphone LP Classic Quilt Top (w/ SD SH-4 in bridge)
Crate XT 120R
Line 6 PODXT Live
Squier Strat
Dean Markley Blue Steel Strings (light)
Quote by STERIOGRAM134
I have a neighbor who is a welder for the Boilermakers of USA... Not exactly sure of what a boilermaker actually does but i know hes a welder for them... THe money is good, when you have work. With the recent economic struggles its going to be really tough to get a welding job, and keep it for a period of time. If you get laid off you collect unemployment but its no where near what you would be making if you were on the job. Its a pretty serious risk youd be taking there.

i've been working for $10/hr for 3 years now
can't be much worse than that
Glimsom wrote:
Quote by STERIOGRAM134

Sounds like they make boilers. But maybe that's just me.

TC, just make sure you always wear the mask if you're welding.
Quote by Xoth
Sounds like they make boilers. But maybe that's just me.

TC, just make sure you always wear the mask if you're welding.

Glimsom wrote:
Quote by lockedandlogan
I think it sounds reasonable. Business is almost pointless. So many people do it that it's become one of those majors (like communications and such) that you just don't know what occupation it will get you until you get one.

Agree
i go to a technical/ vocational hs and im taking up welding/ metal fabrication. in my senior year i will be able to go onto a job site and make roughly $20 an hour. After hs will make roughly 35-40 dolla an hour. So i say go to a tech college
Quote by roarinflames
^^ im in college getting an AA degree to transfer
i havent transfered yet
meaning not in university

Yeah, sorry - I realised that after misreading the thread question (that's why I deleted my post but it was quoted before I could rid the post). Anyway - personally, I would still finish with a Business Degree for safety and then go into learning Trade Skills for the reasons that I gave (I deleted the post but some guy already quoted what I wrote). It guarantees two options and it's not like you're going to waste a lot of money because it's well worth the risk. Also - you're still going to be the same age as all graduates.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

take a look at the economy.
the demand for tradespeople is next to nothing right now.
get a degree, then get some trades skills, then when the economy comes back, work trades.
Quote by Immortal_Guitar
ExiledSoul, you have just won the Best UG Liar award. Thanks for participating with your incredible dumbassery and lies.

Quote by gsr2k6
I have a turd with a carrot stuck in it. Its the GREATEST pet ever, makes quite the mess though.
As an aside, how about a career as a legal advocate? You're fully independant and it's practical. Although you do need to spend time behind a desk, there's no one to boss you around. Have a look at a legal career. If you need any question, feel free to ask me - I'm on that route at the moment and I'll be enrolling into Law School very soon, hopefully.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Go to Uni, it's the fun, free experience... oh wait, that's just for us, too bad Woo Scotland!
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
I'd say go for it if that's what you want. I think that trades are a good option in the current job environment, because even in bad times people will need to get things built and fixed. There should be trade unions in your area that you can contact and they'll help you with information on training and apprenticing later on. (My brother is planning on being either a plumber or electrician so he's looked at some of this stuff.)

And you can always go back to college later if you decide you want to expand on anything, like courses in entrepreneurship or whatever. Good luck in whatever you choose.
deviantART ||| flickr
┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘
last.fm zune
coryklok is my e-hubby! ^_^
rip Billy Mays <3