I've been trying to record guitar on my laptop, using Vista. And I'm having this major problem. My guitar output signal won't be recorded or play 'live' on my speakers. I have this microphone from my built-in microphone. Whenever, I click the 'Record' button, only the signal from that built-in microphone will be recorded. You guys know a way to fix this? Enabling my sound card's microphone jack?? And some of my friends say that I can't use software guitar effects on Vista. Because vista cannot produce the sound from guitar, 'live'. Is that true???

And oh, by the way, I'm using an integrated sound card. But I'm thinking of getting an external sound card soon. I'm really tight on budget right now.

Sorry for my bad English.
download audacity its free works for me
Gear

Jarrett Custom Les Paul
Epiphone Les Paul
Ibanez Artcore AS73
If you want your recordings to sound like anything else than a midget being raped in a tin can you have to get an external sound card.

Of course you can use guitar software live on Vista, I do. But still, get an external sound card. If you're only going to record guitar you might want to try Line 6 GuitarPort (or is it RiffTracker now?). I use it and it is fine. If you want vocals and stuff, you can still use some Line 6 equipment, but there are tons of external sound cards that will let you do it. Just find something USB or firewire, it is by far the easiest on a laptop.

Quote by josh15742
download audacity its free works for me

I have audacity. And I'm using Guitar Rig 2 without Rig Kontrol 2. So the microphone jack and line-in jack are the main jacks for recording.
Quote by Lord Jesus
If you want your recordings to sound like anything else than a midget being raped in a tin can you have to get an external sound card.

Of course you can use guitar software live on Vista, I do. But still, get an external sound card. If you're only going to record guitar you might want to try Line 6 GuitarPort (or is it RiffTracker now?). I use it and it is fine. If you want vocals and stuff, you can still use some Line 6 equipment, but there are tons of external sound cards that will let you do it. Just find something USB or firewire, it is by far the easiest on a laptop.

Yeah.. I will buy either external sound card or Line 6 stuffs soon.. But now, on my laptop, my microphone jack or line-in jack is not picking up my guitar signal.