compared to SD or dimarzio

can i have your opinions, and support arguments please...not just "They're crap cos they are"

i've never tried what do you guys think?

Gibson LP studio,
Fender 2005 Aerodyne Strat,
Ibanez GAX 70
JVM 410C
I have heard very good things about BKP. Most people on here seem to have a good opinion of them as well. From the sound clips i have heard, they own everything else and they do a wide veriety of pickups. The Nail Bomb is supposed to be unbelievably good
Origanally Posted by freedoms_stain
Live webcam shows.
The bigger and blacker the dildo, the more cash.

Originally Posted by neopowell
Holy Christ I haven't laughed that hard since I bummed that clown. Well done!
I bought some about a year and a half ago after a recommendation on here, an Emerald and a Stormy Monday. They were... average. I'm not saying they were bad, but all things considered they weren't any cheaper than Seymour Duncans, took longer to get of course, and didn't sound any better. Certainly an improvement over generic stock humbuckers but not as special as people had told me and I could have just gone down to the local store and bought a couple of SD's for the same money, same sound, and add them much sooner.

In the end I swapped them out for a pair of Swineshead pickups, which I confidently advise over Bare Knuckles every time. Seem to be built more solidly, sound nicer (for what I want at least; of course good tone is purely subjective), cost less. You've still got to put up with waiting a few weeks while they're made, but I think if you're going to wait for a pickup to be made for you, Swineshead are the best way to go, certainly over Bare Knuckles.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
i prefer them to duncans and dimarzio.

i also like swineshead. I can't compare them because, er, i'm a lazy git and my ibanez isn't currently wired up (though it wouldn't be a fair comparison as they're aimed at different tones anyway).

with BKP you do have a lot of options though at a similar price- bulldog, shed, and an absolute ton of USA-based handwinders... nomatter which you go for you'll probably end up taking a bit of a chance...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MrFlibble
I bought some about a year and a half ago after a recommendation on here, an Emerald and a Stormy Monday. They were... average. I'm not saying they were bad, but all things considered they weren't any cheaper than Seymour Duncans, took longer to get of course, and didn't sound any better. Certainly an improvement over generic stock humbuckers but not as special as people had told me and I could have just gone down to the local store and bought a couple of SD's for the same money, same sound, and add them much sooner.

In the end I swapped them out for a pair of Swineshead pickups, which I confidently advise over Bare Knuckles every time. Seem to be built more solidly, sound nicer (for what I want at least; of course good tone is purely subjective), cost less. You've still got to put up with waiting a few weeks while they're made, but I think if you're going to wait for a pickup to be made for you, Swineshead are the best way to go, certainly over Bare Knuckles.

I've tried the stormy monday too, I thought it was supposed to be modeled after Duane Allman tone, sounded nothing like Duane's sound imo...
Keep in mind, BKPs are mostly known for their "contemporary" pickups and although they're geared at higher gain music, they are supposed to be incredibly versatile.

Everything I've heard about them, both in clips and in praise, has been nothing short of spectacular.

I'll find out for myself soon enough, I've got a set of Nailbombs on the way...
Last edited by T!AN at Jan 13, 2009,
Quote by T!AN
Keep in mind, BKPs are mostly known for their "contemporary" pickups and although they're geared at higher gain music, they are supposed to be incredibly versatile.
Well this was my main problem with them, the two I bought were both on the lower-output vintage side of their product range, yet they still sounded very modern and not at all how they were described to be.

And before anyone says it, no, I wasn't trying to use them on an ESP super-Strat through a Mesa Boogie amp or some such.

They may very well all be great if you want a modern tone but certainly for a more traditional sound I just can't recommend them.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
they are meant to be great but VERY sensitive to pickup height as in they sound crap until you fight a sweet spot then they own
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
Quote by al112987
I've tried the stormy monday too, I thought it was supposed to be modeled after Duane Allman tone, sounded nothing like Duane's sound imo...

i think (from reading on the forum), they're meant to be modelled on the general feeling of a specific tone, rather than a specific person's tone or pickup. I mean, my miracle man doesn't really remind me much of EMGs (from memory, anyway), but it's great for that 80s zakk wylde type of tone. if that makes sense.

but yeah, if you don't like them, or don't think they suit your style of music, that's fair enough. i haven't tried any of their vintage pickups, so i don't can't comment on them.

i think swineshead have a similar rep. in that even their more vintage-output pickups are more aimed at the modern stuff (i think even jon bell, the swineshead guy, admits that in interviews etc.), and i'd have to agree with that in their case. i have their condor in the neck, and it's vintage output and alnico II, but it handles higher gain stuff very well indeed- more "slash" than vintage tones, that type of thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 14, 2009,
For what it's worth I also use a Swineshead Condor and I think it has a very nice vintage tone, certianly better than the Bare Knuckles were. I agree it's very Slash-like, but then I consider Slash's tone to be fairly vintage-sounding.
I'm in the process of ordering a Painkiller Bridge, and Miracleman neck for my S7320. From everything I've heard, they're nothing short of good quality, great sounding pickups.
A lot of people have versatile pickups, but when going to metal, some pickups can do it fine, but nothing amazing, where as BKP's can be versatile as tons of other pickups, but when wanted to do metal, they're ****in br00tal. Hands down.
Quote by MrFlibble
For what it's worth I also use a Swineshead Condor and I think it has a very nice vintage tone, certianly better than the Bare Knuckles were. I agree it's very Slash-like, but then I consider Slash's tone to be fairly vintage-sounding.

of course. what i meant was it takes on higher gains a lot better than many other vintage-voiced pickups. My duncan '59, for example, which starts to mush up with anything much more than a mid-gain, classic rock tone. with swineshead you get the feeling that, even with its more vintage pickups, thought has still been given to performance under pretty modern levels of gain too.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?