Page 1 of 2
I got a book on for Christmas about various events in the worlds history, sounds boring but I like history Anyway, being British, I didn't know much about the establishment of America and the Independence from the British Empire (we only learn the stuff where the British win!). And reading it I just felt stupid being British. I just can't believe the crap the colonists had to put up with (taxation etc.) before they became independent! Anyway just a though I wanted to share
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Still, the Americans were a bit picky over the Caroline affair...
ok
Quote by diofan88
I lol'd hard

Quote by tattyreagh
That's terrible and hilarious in equal measures...

theyre talking about my comment
Yeah, that were a lot of reasons for the colonialists to declare independence, hell most of it is right there in the declaration, just a list of grievances of why they hated King George really. Also their treatment after the French & Indian war was a pretty large factor as well.
So I was right, they DON'T teach that in the UK!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
It still doesn't justify ruining all of that innocent tea.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Americans weren't all that great either though, tbh It just depends on what perspective you're looking at.

Anyway, the Native Americans had no say in anything. =[
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by oneblackened

lol yeah...in history I was tought WWI, WWII, Cold War, Romans and stuff, Medieval Britain, and the ancient Egyptians...think thats everythin. Thing is im interested in history so most of the stuff I know I've learnt off my own back
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Quote by oneblackened

They do teach a lot of European and World History though.

Nobody cares about America
I always assumed they never taught it or they taught very little about it over in England... I actually wish there were some primary sources from people that were on the British side of the war and the political disputes, it would make an interesting read for me because I'm tired of hearing about how we were the underdogs but we persevered and won because of our supreme determination and patriotism... That's what we get over here.

And yes Vintage x metal, we were very nasty to the Native Americans... We still are which is really insensitive because after all we should be taking care of them because they allowed us to come to America with relative peace and then we slaughtered them.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Yeah, that were a lot of reasons for the colonialists to declare independence, hell most of it is right there in the declaration, just a list of grievances of why they hated King George really. Also their treatment after the French & Indian war was a pretty large factor as well.

Truth.

I still wish, a lot of the time, that we were still under British control. Like, all of the world's events still happened the way they did, in terms of after the Revolution, but there was some kind of event that took place instead of the Revolution, and we held a lot of the British values.

Yes, I know without our revolution that France probably wouldn't have had theirs, etc. But just bare with me.

I can only imagine what kind of glorious country this would be if we hadn't strayed.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by wizards?
I always assumed they never taught it or they taught very little about it over in England... I actually wish there were some primary sources from people that were on the British side of the war and the political disputes, it would make an interesting read for me because I'm tired of hearing about how we were the underdogs but we persevered and won because of our supreme determination and patriotism... That's what we get over here.

And yes Vintage x metal, we were very nasty to the Native Americans... We still are which is really insensitive because after all we should be taking care of them because they allowed us to come to America with relative peace and then we slaughtered them.

Well, at the time it would have been damn near impossible for Britain to keep the colonies under control. Even with the greatest navy at the time it was an enormous endeavor to bring troops and maintain supplies from Britain. **** I'm late for class. I was going to elaborate more. Sorry

Anyway, it's the same concept as the U.S. in Veitnam. Peace.
Quote by fallenangel20
Truth.

I still wish, a lot of the time, that we were still under Confederate control. Like, all of the world's events still happened the way they did, in terms of after the Civil War, but there was some kind of event that took place instead of the Civil War, and we held a lot of the Confederate values.

I can only imagine what kind of glorious country this would be if we had strayed.

Fixed
Lol

I think out of all the bad things the Empire did 'taxes' wasn't like to be the one that went down in history

though it did go down... and history...

!

Riddle me this:

Why can no one on this site spell independence!?
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by RU Experienced?
Well, at the time it would have been damn near impossible for Britain to keep the colonies under control. Even with the greatest navy at the time it was an enormous endeavor to bring troops and maintain supplies from Britain. **** I'm late for class. I was going to elaborate more. Sorry

Anyway, it's the same concept as the U.S. in Veitnam. Peace.

I know that, but it's basically jammed into our heads that we could have had an army of twelve people with baseball bats and still taken down the mightiest army in the time period... It's not said that the British couldn't resupply as much as they needed to, it's said that we won it by sheer grit and determination... I mean half of the classes I've been in haven't even mentioned that we allied with the French for support... Now that's bad. It's just a bunch of people trying to drill it into our heads that we were, are and always will be the mightiest nation in the world, and we're more important than anyone and everyone else.
Quote by Andy2k64
I got a book on for Christmas about various events in the worlds history, sounds boring but I like history Anyway, being British, I didn't know much about the establishment of America and the Independence from the British Empire (we only learn the stuff where the British win!). And reading it I just felt stupid being British. I just can't believe the crap the colonists had to put up with (taxation etc.) before they became independent! Anyway just a though I wanted to share

Meh, where you live maybe, but the trends in this country are to be as hateful as possible to our history, apart from the Blitz.

Yeah, our actions over there weren't great, but not a huge amount worse than a hundred years more of civil war, ethnic cleansing, racism and slavery.

But you can argue that we helped set up those in the first place, although I'm not too clued up on British and the natives, just Redcoats herding disabled women and children into barns and setting fire to them after much raping.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by freddaahh
Meh, where you live maybe, but the trends in this country are to be as hateful as possible to our history, apart from the Blitz.

Yeah, our actions over there weren't great, but not a huge amount worse than a hundred years more of civil war, ethnic cleansing, racism and slavery.

But you can argue that we helped set up those in the first place, although I'm not too clued up on British and the natives, just Redcoats herding disabled women and children into barns and setting fire to them after much raping.

I'm not trying to be clever here (well, obviously I am, but it's an honest question), but are you describing America or Britain?
I've never heard that we won through "sheer grit and determination". It was evident in every class I can remember, we won from going against the normal protocol of war and using guerrilla tactics until the French bailed us out.
Quote by BeefCakes
Fixed

No. Just no. No thank you.

I'm from Georgia and I couldn't disagree more.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by BeefCakes
I've never heard that we won through "sheer grit and determination". It was evident in every class I can remember, we won from going against the normal protocol of war and using guerrilla tactics until the French bailed us out.

Well I did go to an extremely rich school where everything was based on patriotism and following the president's decisions no matter what they were... Not trying to make any generalizations there, but if you weren't exactly patriotic... they didn't like you, and I tend to ask a lot of questions like that, so they didn't like me and wouldn't answer my questions.
Quote by meh!
I'm not trying to be clever here (well, obviously I am, but it's an honest question), but are you describing America or Britain?

America. We didn't have Civil war after 1776, we abolished slavery in 1805, there was racism but not legislated racism as far as I'm aware; and Ethnic Cleansing may be a bit of a strong term but I was referring to the actions against the Natives.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by fallenangel20

No. Just no. No thank you.

I'm from Georgia and I couldn't disagree more.

So you don't like the idea of civilians not having to deal with federal law, and having stayed out of world affairs and been left in peace? Aside from the possibility of civil war between states, I'm sure given enough time the system could have worked. I'm not even from the south, but I do think slavery was entangled into a worthwhile cause.
Quote by wizards?
I know that, but it's basically jammed into our heads that we could have had an army of twelve people with baseball bats and still taken down the mightiest army in the time period... It's not said that the British couldn't resupply as much as they needed to, it's said that we won it by sheer grit and determination... I mean half of the classes I've been in haven't even mentioned that we allied with the French for support... Now that's bad. It's just a bunch of people trying to drill it into our heads that we were, are and always will be the mightiest nation in the world, and we're more important than anyone and everyone else.

Well yeah, history is very very biased. Not only with the whole "history is written by the winners" but my college history teacher defined history as "a selection of facts we choose based on cultural and other values we want reflected today. Nationalism & Patriotism often dictate which facts we choose."

I couldn't agree with that statement more which is why I'm interested in what people are taught in other countries public schools.
AMERICA, **** YEAH
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
So I taketh yonder fellow Briton hath not received our Declaration of most egregious offenses?

Sorry
Last edited by thewho65 at Jan 13, 2009,
Don't worry, you guys still have lots to be proud of. Like the invention of Pitchcapping people who disagreed with you trying to steal their land
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Eh, we Americans were clever to a degree. We knew how to fight against the British in our own territory. Use the woods! No straight lines just shooting at each other. Luckily, we got a lot of help from the French, which helped us to clinch victory.

Don't get the wrong idea though, it was still a tremendous feat that we won. Our country had no formal organization of any sort at the time and it was very difficult for us to get things accomplished. It is a miracle (or the the help of the French) that we not only survived but won that thing.

As far as the tyranny of George III is concerned, you must understand that he was fully within his right to tax the colonies. They were his, after all. America just happened to have a lot of headstrong and extremely intelligent leaders at the time, that knew there could be something more.

And as far as the Natives are concerned, we got our habits from the British. The American Indians were horribly oppressed originally by Britain, but the U.S. continued that oppression for a looooong time.
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
On a side note, TS, love the username. I'd kill to be under you.
Quote by Thebridge

Don't get the wrong idea though, it was still a tremendous feat that we won. Our country had no formal organization of any sort at the time and it was very difficult for us to get things accomplished. It is a miracle (or the the help of the French) that we not only survived but won that thing.

You also had the advantage of being very far away.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t

We did!?

Not to mention, Britain had other colonies/problems to deal with. I meant that even though we had some advantages, you must understand, we had no idea what we were doing. It's not like we dominated the war either. We got our asses handed to us more than a couple of times.

The advantages Britain had far outweighed the ones we had, by the way.
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
On a side note, TS, love the username. I'd kill to be under you.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Far away, with quartered British troops living with us.
Quote by Thebridge
Eh, we Americans were clever to a degree. We knew how to fight against the British in our own territory. Use the woods! No straight lines just shooting at each other. Luckily, we got a lot of help from the French, which helped us to clinch victory.

As far as the tyranny of George III is concerned, you must understand that he was fully within his right to tax the colonies. They were his, after all. America just happened to have a lot of headstrong and extremely intelligent leaders at the time, that knew there could be something more.

And as far as the Natives are concerned, we got our habits from the British. The American Indians were horribly oppressed originally by Britain, but the U.S. continued that oppression for a looooong time.

Our's was far more impressive

We'll never be completely free though
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes
Jimi Hendrix

"In paradise there are no walls"
yeah, most of what the colonists were forced to put up with was pretty bad.

i am interested in learning about the british perspective on the whole war though. that is something that they don't cover in most history classes over here.

i understand that maybe the british didn't want to teach the history of the war as much as we do here since they lost. i've always had the impression that they really downplay the whole thing in history classes and such. that is just stupid though if you ask me. the result of the war was the foundation of one of the most powerful countries in the world. it seems pretty significant if you ask me.
Quote by Thebridge
We did!?

Not to mention, Britain had other colonies/problems to deal with. I meant that even though we had some advantages, you must understand, we had no idea what we were doing. It's not like we dominated the war either. We got our asses handed to us more than a couple of times.

The advantages Britain had far outweighed the ones we had, by the way.

What about the incredible debt which was brought forth from the previous Seven Year War? Lack of funds because of Britain recovering from the Seven Year War, whilst carrying on looking after their empire gave Britain a lack of troops to go to America with. We hired some Germans, but were no-where near close to the amount we wanted/needed, let alone most of the troops got unfit due to travel by the time they reached America.

To top that, America made a very nice friendship with the French. Don't forget how French tactics enabled the Americans to smash the British at the siege of Yorktown, which essentially lead to a plummet in support for Lord North, King George and British involvement in America altogether, which led to the resignation of Lord North and the introduction to peace talks.
Quote by thewho65
Far away, with quartered British troops living with us.

We had that too, but we were only a day away.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by daytripper75
yeah, most of what the colonists were forced to put up with was pretty bad.

i am interested in learning about the british perspective on the whole war though. that is something that they don't cover in most history classes over here.

i understand that maybe the british didn't want to teach the history of the war as much as we do here since they lost. i've always had the impression that they really downplay the whole thing in history classes and such. that is just stupid though if you ask me. the result of the war was the foundation of one of the most powerful countries in the world. it seems pretty significant if you ask me.

Quote by Craigo
We don't learn your civil war either. Do you know ours though?

I also learnt American History at school. The manifest destiny and development of America and all of that.
Quote by Craigo
We don't learn your civil war either. Do you know ours though?

I didn't learn either of your civil wars,

hah! IM' civil war free!
Quote by Ur all $h1t
We had that too, but we were only a day away.

And there was less of us
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes
Jimi Hendrix

"In paradise there are no walls"
Page 1 of 2