So. I've got this Jackson RR3. Signed by Bullet For My Valentine.

*puts up flameshield*

Look, I won this in a competition so don't think I went out my way to get my guitar signed by BFMV. Read the story here. Anyways, I'm gonna sell this guitar to my close friend since he loves BFMV and I still want to play this guitar now and again at my friend's house for memories sake.

Do any of you UGers know how much it would cost to preserve the signatures so that they don't rub away? My friend wants to keep the sigs as he loves the band and it would mean a lot to him.

Serious answers please, I don't want any BFMV flaming. >_>
Take it to a luthier or somewhere and get it clearcoated.
I think its just a see through plastic spray that forms a see through coat over it.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Someone got paul gilberts signature on his guitar and got it proffesionally laquered over the top of it, so go to your luthier/guitarshop and be all like
"Laquer "her" up"

..speech marks within speech marks, what has the world come to.
Right. Do you any of you know roughly how much it would cost then? I want to get this done ASAP.

I may try Reverb (ex-Soundcontrol) in Glasgow if they can do it, anyone had experience with the repair shop in there?
You could do it yourself for very, very little.

The only problem being some lacquers 'dissolve' marker pen, so unless you know what kind of pen was used it might be easier (although a lot pricier) to get a guitar tech/repairshop/luthier to clear coat it for you.
I don't have experience of Reverb, but I can strongly recommend Strung Out (in King's Court, across the road from the 13th Note). Their repair jobs are top class, I got my flatmate's acoustic fixed up in there. Not sure if they do finishes though. If you want to give them a ring, their number is 0141 552 4848. I dealt with a girl called Vari, very helpful.
I may try Reverb (ex-Soundcontrol) in Glasgow if they can do it, anyone had experience with the repair shop in there?

the one in jamaca street isnt their anymore you will have to go up to the west end ie octago street
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
if someone gives you crap about the guitar dont listen, its not your problem they are idiots.

anyways, beware certain clear coats that eat pen/markers.

on the mustang forum i used to be on they used to use some sort of clear coat to preserve signatures on their dash, im looking it up for you now.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by hans the lefty

the one in jamaca street isnt their anymore you will have to go up to the west end ie octago street

Ah, that's an epic pain in the ass. I'll check it out if Strung Out can't do it; it's a bit far off to be convinient.

Thanks anyway to y'all.
Last edited by Mwoit at Jan 13, 2009,
I'm surprised your guitar can tolerate that much gayness in one area!

all jokes aside, you could probably pull this off yourself, but It's probably better to do it professionally if you're afraid.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie

all jokes aside, you could probably pull this off yourself, but It's probably better to do it professionally if you're afraid.

I would try but I'm literally a noob when it comes to this.

Clear Coat?

Laquer?

Yeah. I'm a DIY noob. Also, as mentioned above I heard I could potentially destroy the sigs if I do it wrong.
Quote by deftonesordie
lol I was going to say, when a cool guitar was signed by BFMV I was suprised it didnt morph into a wangcaster

TS definatly take it to a pro if you are uncertain, do you have the pen they signed it with? or know what pen it was? You need to make sure the luthier is clear on either what pen it was or that he needs to test to make sure the clear coat doesnt run.

If he justs 'nah it'l be fine I'm sure' take it to a different luthier

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
despite the sigs, I'm really digging that colour on the RR.

Also, I agree with Absent Mind
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Seriously if I got a guitar signed by them I wouldn't be playing it. It would be in a case up on the wall.
Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Greendayguitar, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.

-Gibson LP Classic
-Fender American Standard Strat
-Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
-Peavey XXX w/Marshall Cab
There are a couple of options.

Normally, if something s signed, it is better for the surface to be prepared first, but obviously you cant do that in this case, so.

You could, use QUALITY, pinstriping paint (or a quality pinstriper!) and trace the sig's.

This type of paint is catalysed and will stick to the current finish.

You could either, then have it clear coated, or not...it likely wouldn't need clearing afterwards.

Or sell it to your mate for loads of cash, then let him worry about it.
Quote by Absent Mind
lol I was going to say, when a cool guitar was signed by BFMV I was suprised it didnt morph into a wangcaster

TS definatly take it to a pro if you are uncertain, do you have the pen they signed it with? or know what pen it was? You need to make sure the luthier is clear on either what pen it was or that he needs to test to make sure the clear coat doesnt run.

If he justs 'nah it'l be fine I'm sure' take it to a different luthier

I just received an email about the clear coat job from Strung Out Guitars in Glasgow.

Quote by StrungOutGuitars.co.uk
In relation to the signatures on the top of the body, there are a few
different solutions. You can have an clear adhesive material
scratchplate applied, or you can have the top layered with a clear
lacquer. The latter is a far more expensive job, but is the best and
most professional way to ensure the signatures stay clear and dont
wear away.

I would recommend bringing in the guitar to us, just so we can figure
out the full cost of the repair needed.

Sounds like they know what's they are doing to me. (But then again, I am clueless.)

As for the pen, no I don't have it since they sent it to me like this.

For the guy who said hang it up on a wall, I don't really like doing this since it's a TOTAL waste of a guitar. The guitar isn't even worth much in comparison to collector's item guitars and is a decent player at that!
What I have always done, is used an Intercoat Clear over the guitar first, which is not 2K.
Then 2k lacquer over that.

But I have always known what pen was used and in some case, the surface was prepared before the signing.

Let them worry about it, if it goes Pete Tong, they are responsible.

But expect the price to be two zeros rather than one.
Thanks very much guys, I'll go around Saturday to StrungOut for an evaluation and such and post back the results.

Can I just put something out there...

If you're not keeping it, why are you going to the trouble of preserving the signatures? I would not spend the extra money on such things, as it would eat into your profit from selling it - I doubt you would get extra money just because you've clear coated it.

If the person who buys the guitar wants to protect the signatures, then they could get it coated at the own cost.

Perhaps. Maybe I'm just a tight-ass.
I just got mine back from the workshop here it is professionally lacquered from simms custom shop

Can barely tell there is a lacquer applied

Worth every penny to me but it depends on how much you value the signature

Cost me £270 to have the front and back lacquered.
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Jan 14, 2009,
It cost you $500 for a clear coat?

Damn, that is a lot of cash...
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
It cost you $500 for a clear coat?

Damn, that is a lot of cash...

If the painter had to disassemble and reassemble the guitar and set it back up, it's worth it in labor costs alone over here.
yes... I never factor labour costs into anything cause I'm an idjit like that.

Also, he works for a shop that has overhead so, it is a lot different.

EDIT:

Really nice guitar man!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Thread jack:
Mine's autographed at the back of the headstock (Joe Satriani!!!) in permanent marker...it's been there for almost 3 years now.
Will it need preserving?
THe onloy reason permanent marker comes off is due to a lot of wear.

On the back of the headstock it should be fine, unless you tune your guitar obsessiveley...
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo