So, two weeks ago the other guitarist in my band and I holed up in his basement at about 8 PM. The mission: we were to swap my standard passive pickups out of my Dean Razorback V for a set of active blackouts. We expected it to take a while, but not rediculously long. Obviously the first time we had done anything like this. Throughout the night, we had some soldering issues, slow work due to confusion, and the normal first time jitters. But what we weren't expecting was to be up all night long working on this for 11 hours. The finished product came out at approximately 7 AM. Are we retarded, or has this happened to anyone else?
Tempus Edux Rerum Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Check out my band, Prosper! Prog/Metal/Core from Columbus, Ohio.
if you've never soldered before i could see it taking longer than normal, and not to sound like an ass, but i don't see why it would have taken you that long, did you have issues wiring it up in the correct configuration or just plain not being able to solder them?

watch this if you need help with the basics, it works the same way if you are wiring a pot or switch, the only thing i don't like is that he flicks the iron to get rid of excess solder after tinning, i' dsuggest always using a wet sponge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLfXXRfRIzY&feature=PlayList&p=A6AD1D8B2AB68DE4&playnext=1&index=13
I was afraid of this. We are actually retarded.

It's working completely fine now. Just when we started it, we couldn't get the iron to melt the solder. And then when we were actually soldering to the pots, it wouldn't stick. It took us about two hours before we figured out we had to scratch the surface for the solder to get a grip on it. That was a huge chunk of time wasted. And then we were in fear of creating a problem, so we took it as slow as possible and made sure that we were completely right with what we were doing. 11 hours is still rediculous.

Quote by Fatal Instinct
I was afraid of this. We are actually retarded.

It's ok, at least you have each other.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
That it was. Next time, we'll know to have a couple of beers atleast.

atleast you didn't take the easy way out and pay out the ass for a shop to do it for you. kudos to you for doing it yourself, and now you know how to do it for next time (which hopefully won't take as long )
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Works perfectly. It's a kickass son of a bitch.

Quote by mikeyElite
atleast you didn't take the easy way out and pay out the ass for a shop to do it for you. kudos to you for doing it yourself.

I agree with mikeyElite at least you learned from this and next time you'll be faster at it. If you're gonna play guitar you need to know how to do repairs and mods like this.
I'm still learning how to solder myself - It takes me about 15 mins/1/2 an hour per join; shamin' I know, but my tools are also gash. I'm gonna look up some youtube tutorials and stuff before my next project.
My first pickup swap took probably 3 hours including the breaks during it, but I replaced the 5-way pickup selector at the same time, and managed to wire the entire thing one lug off, and managed to fry a pot. Took me forever to figure out I hadn't botched rewiring the second time, and just had a bad pot.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Quote by Fatal Instinct
That it was. Next time, we'll know to have a couple of beers atleast.

NEVER drink and solder! Or, do drink and solder, and learn the hard way why you shouldn't. Let me know how it goes...
What I learned from this thread? My friend and I take the cake on most retarded soldering jobs. Ever.

Quote by Fatal Instinct
What I learned from this thread? My friend and I take the cake on most retarded soldering jobs. Ever.
I dunno, my soldering job on an improvised loop pedal from one of those little keychain gizmos that records what you say and plays it back might give you a run for your money. At least you managed to get the solder to stick. I had one solder joint that just refused to stick to the pad on the pcb. I must've soldered that same joint 50 times before I managed to melt the pcb behind the pad and the pad fell out.
Quote by Øttər
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Oh. Well. Then I guess we don't even come away with a tasty pastry. We just fail.

Quote by Fatal Instinct
Oh. Well. Then I guess we don't even come away with a tasty pastry. We just fail.
Lol, you just come away with a less desirable pastry.
Quote by Øttər
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
Quote by MatrixClaw

yeah... 11 hours is pretty ridiculous, but atleast you've learned something. The first time i wired a guitar it took me like 3 1/2 hours, but that's because I had no clue what i was doing (AND i also had trouble getting the solder to stick to the pots! until i scratched). I tell you what though, it's a great feeling what you do your guitar for the first time, and plug it in, and it works Just something about having put your own time into it makes you enjoy it even more.
Part-o-Caster
Ibanez Destroyer
Ibanez 321MH
11 hours is pretty long. But like every one else you got it done and it works. BTW do soldering solo next time. Because there was two of you working on it, that's like 22 man hours. People get in the way and soldering really is a one man job.

Quote by jimRH7
I'm still learning how to solder myself - It takes me about 15 mins/1/2 an hour per join; shamin' I know, but my tools are also gash. I'm gonna look up some youtube tutorials and stuff before my next project.

I am surprised no one commented on this. 15 - 30 min a joint if its cigar sized maybe...

What are you doing that takes so long for solder? and you don't need a fancy soldering gun. I use a cheep thing that I got in a little kit from radio shack for 20 bux. 30 watts and I use a damp piece of paper towel to clean it, I always loose my sponge. I think it took about 45 min to wire up a pickguard that had 3 hums in it that I had designed a custom scheme for, 3 on/off switches, and 2 coil tap switches with a volume. That's like 14 conections? The big secret to it all is to have a VERY CLEAR diagram. and the HIGHLIGHT everything as soon as you solder it.
Well dont feel bad guys one time I was soldering and I was pushing the iron against some joint, and my iron slipped and because it had some melted tin on it then tin flew over my guitar and my skin, and it stung SO F**** Much i jumped up and the iron fell onto my carpet and made a burn mark and my guitar flipped over and received maybe 4 scratches during this event.

its in the past now...
I used to burn the **** out of my fingers whenever I would solder. But thats in the past now.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
A trick I learned from my granpa (he used to work on electrical appliances, wire transformers, motors, you name it) was to put a tags on the wires and the places they're connected to... and a clear diagram with the same tags if possible.

Then you don't go fumbling trying to think which goes where...

I'm about to make my first pickup change by myself.

Last time I did, my cousin made the solder for me. He could do it in his sleep as he was very good at soldering. I just tagged everything for him... it took like an hour and it was the firs time we both looked inside a guitar's cavity.
Noob Grade Gear...
Ibanez GRX20 GFS Pups, Digitech RP3, Vox Satchurator, Behringer DD400 Delay, Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ, Behringer GMX110
Total lack of skills and not into broot4Lz anymore