Hello.

I just switched out the strings on my long neglected custom LAG guitar. It's the only one I own with a FR tuning system. I am not exactly an expert with this system.

Can someone look at this picture and tell me if it's healthy for the floyd rose tremelo to be up this high?

(click for full size)

It wasn't this high until I changed the strings this time. the strings had not been changed in a while.

Do I need to tighten the springs? I've never done it before and I'm afraid I'll **** something up, but I'm willing to try. If that's the case can anyone give me advice or point me to a good tutorial on it?

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.
no tighten the springs in the back

look at the FR sticky
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Last edited by SquierLolz at Jan 13, 2009,
You either need to add a spring or tighten it depending on what kind of floyd rose setup you have, there are several variations.

Make sure you loosen the strings before lowering the tremelo: if they're taut now they'll snap with the extra tension.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/angle.htm

the info you want is at the bottom of the page. i know its an ibanez site but it applies to all FRs.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by gizmodious
You either need to add a spring or tighten it depending on what kind of floyd rose setup you have, there are several variations.

Make sure you loosen the strings before lowering the tremelo: if they're taut now they'll snap with the extra tension.

There's absolutely no point doing that - if the strings aren't to tension then you have no idea if you're adjusting the bridge correctly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
No tighten your springs it should be level not slanted
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
you're going to need to tighten the springs in the back. Unlock the nut, and loosen the strings a little bit, but not much. I'd say about a half to whole step. Then slowly tighten the springs. Watch the bridge sink into the body. Once the bridge is parallel, tighten the strings back to normal, and adjust the bridge a little more until it is parallel with the body. Then lock the nut and tune. You may have to do this several times because the strings stretch out.