Ok I've been playing say 3 years or so and I've been working on speed lately.

Now I'm fine when it comes to something like Flight of The Bumblebee

e|---12-11-10-9-10-9-8-7-8-7-6-5------------etc---|
B|-------------------------------9-8-7-6----------|
G|---------------------------------------9-8-7-6--|
D|------------------------------------------------|
A|------------------------------------------------|
E|------------------------------------------------|

I can play that about as fast as 190bpm

Now when it comes to a repeating string changing thing like this

e|----7----------------| x whatever
B|------10-7-----------|
G|-----------9---------|
D|---------------------|
A|---------------------|
E|---------------------|

I completely screw it up

So I figured I can not truly play that fast unless I could do just about every sort of thing that speed. I know it's covered in the sticky but I wanted to know how could I make it easier for myself? Say look more into picking technique or something because I think most of my problems may lie with that.

Will appreciate any advice.
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
I'm no expert myself, but one thing I can suggest is to specifically examine which pickstroke you screw up at. Myself I suck at inside picking, whereas with outside picking it feels like I'm not even using any effort. If you just have problems with changing strings in general, then I suggest practicing picking through arpeggios. Steve Morse kind of exercises.
Well, basically, it's a matter of being able to pick both inside and outside really well, and drilling string changes. I like to drill the spider exercises (see exercises thread) because they include almost every pickstroke you can reasonably expect to come across as well as using all 4 fingers of the left hand.
Here's something to practice that I think will be helpful (it was *very* for me).

4/4
  Gtr I
   S S  S S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S S
|--------------------12-15-12---------------|
|--------------12-13----------13-12---------|
|---------9-12----------------------12-9----|
|-10-9-10-----------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------------|

And loop it. Watch out for the fact that it has 14 notes instead of the 16 you'd expect. Ok, so what's so interesting and beneficial about this exercise? Well, if you start on a downstroke and do strict alternate picking, every single string cross on the ascent will start with an upstroke, and on the descent every string cross will start with a downstroke. And you should spend equal time starting everything on an upstroke, in which case the reverse will be true.

Don't worry about playing it fast. Just spend 15-20 mins on it each day, working it from 30% speed to 60% speed, spending about 2 mins on each tempo (I go up in 5 bpm increments, 10 if I am strapped for time). Concentrate on using your wrist to make the picking motion, and your elbow to move from string to string. Over time, it will feel just like you are picking on one string, except using your elbow to "push" through the strings on the ascent, and pulling back through the strings on the descent. It took me about 10 days of working on this exercise, and by then I was noticing some definate improvements in my string crossing.

For alternating between inside and outside crosses, any 3 nps lick will do.

Good luck!
i find that a lot of the problems with my students comes from them alt picking more with their fingers, which will seriously cripple you in string skips. Try relying more on your wrist + forearm to alt pick, which will make it easier to transition to other strings--the motion of your wrist will create the momentum to smoothly skip strings, and like Freepower said, inside and outside picking is necessary. Accuracy will come with practice, so just remember DONT use your thumb and fingers, use your wrist, start slow and then speed up.

Paul Gilbert is possibly one of the best string skippers on the planet, and he has some very good lesson videos on youtube.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Paul Gilbert is possibly one of the best string skippers on the planet, and he has some very good lesson videos on youtube.

Amen to that. Great teacher, really exemplary technique, fun attitude, good at showing examples and spreading the joy of rock guitar.
try thirds, and fouths, that's how i learned alot of string changing, also try this, it's easy and helpful

17-12-15-12----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------17-12-15-12--------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------16-12-14-12--------------------------------16-12-14-12-------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------17-12-14-12--------------------------------17-12-14-12-----
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------17-12-14-12--------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------17--

----------------------
----------------------
----------------------
------------14-------
----------------------
12-15-12-----------
Quote by Ace88
i find that a lot of the problems with my students comes from them alt picking more with their fingers, which will seriously cripple you in string skips. Try relying more on your wrist + forearm to alt pick, which will make it easier to transition to other strings--the motion of your wrist will create the momentum to smoothly skip strings, and like Freepower said, inside and outside picking is necessary. Accuracy will come with practice, so just remember DONT use your thumb and fingers, use your wrist, start slow and then speed up.

I actually use alot of wrist/elbow movements when I pick, I find it impossible to do with just fingers

Oh and thanks to se012101 for that great exercise
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest