I'm purchasing a Hartke-HA3500 tomorrow. I'm loving the sound, but while playing about i have noticed (and read from many reviews) That, when you tweak the tube gain up it doesnt really make that much difference. Now, i'm playing in quite a grungey band at the moment, but i play everything. With the tube nob i can just switch it too clean solid-state or tube growl.

Now a few questions:

1) What tubes does the HA3500 run on? (I'm having trouble getting on the samson site)

2) Are there 'bass' specific tubes designed for bass?

3)Is the a better tube that i can replace the stock tune with? Something that gives me good old growl whenever i need it?

Oh, another quick question, but can that NEWER version of the HA3500 be taken out of the case? Apparently, the wooden case with the hartke logo can be taken off and a flight case can be used.

Cheers

EDIT: I am thinking of using an SVT preamp tube as a replacement, it would be like adding ampeg tone whenever i want it. Is it possible?
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
Last edited by pandathe3 at Jan 13, 2009,
It has a single 12AX7 tube.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
a single preamp tube will not make that much difference to your tone, no matter what brand tube you use. and no, robbing a tube from an SVT will not make a hartke sound like an ampeg. hartkes will always sound like hartkes. thats like saying using a fender bridge makes your ibanez sound like a fender it just won't work like that. your amp sounds the way it does because of loads of tiny components all working together not because of one component that you have the option to cut out of the circuit entirely.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Yeah, i understand that. But, by changing you tube you can change alot about you sound.

I wasn't thinking about robbin' a SVT tube either, but, using a different tube which will growl like an ampeg would be what im after. I want the option of adding warm tube tone, like that of an svt. Which is what the hartke offers, via the tube pre-amp gain knob. I will use the tube preamp as a gain nob, while mixing it with my SS preamp.

Anybody got any ideas?

Ok, would a 12AX7EH (gold pin) work? yes or no answer.
Quote by IndianRockStar

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
Probably not.

The single preamp tube does practically nothing to your tone - it just warms it up a bit. SVT and other tube amps have more tubes and more elaborate amplification stages which provide the "tube sound".
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I get you.

Oh, i'm getting a Hartke HA3500A for cheap.....(Under£100) So, i wanna get the most outta this amp as i can. So, no SVT im afraid.

I will still change my vavle. They are only cheap and i want too experiment.

For under £15 i can get an EHX 12AX7 (Gold plated + cryo treated) May aswell get the extra features
Quote by IndianRockStar

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->