Page 1 of 2
hey pit, I got a wierd situation goin on here;
I'm in my school's variety show, as a guitarist of course. Now, Im a metal guy, i tried out with a metal song that i wrote and the director is an old friend of mine and KNOWS I'm big on the Metal (he also pulled me aside the next day and said i blew him away), but i got my assigned songs today, I was given a Punk song and a Country song, out of nine songs between four guitarists two were given two songs, one was given three, and another was given four. The two Seniors were both given two songs (me and a friend, who is also friends with the director) a Junior was given the three, and a SOPHOMORE was given the four
now i ask you Pit, what's wrong with this picture?
It sounds like they're better than you.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
If you are a metal guy what the hell are you doing trying out for a variety show?
Talk the director, tell him how you feel and ask him how he came to the decision - but be prepared that you might not like the answer
The director probably just doesn't want people to think he's biased towards his friends.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
i can play other stuff, like my rtrout song started clean and broke in with the Overdrive, and no, Its clan im the best, he sophmore is a self taught wannabe with rich parents, the junior is an idiot with no real talent and the other senior is a punk guy

edit:
Quote by Mr_Jubby_Jubs
The director probably just doesn't want people to think he's biased towards his friends.

here's the thing, we dont talk that much anymore, mostly because we're not in the same classes, but we were close in elementary and middle school
Last edited by hualmieda at Jan 13, 2009,
Stop complaining and prove yourself.

That way, you won't have to worry about this kind of underestimation next time.

Sometimes you gotta eat sh*t before you can taste the honey.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I think this director has a lot of minor friends...

wink wink... nudge nudge... know what I mean?
Maybe get out of the "I'm teh br00talz" mentality and try new music styles? Country is a great style for a lead guitarist.

Quote by strat0blaster
Stop complaining and prove yourself.

That way, you won't have to worry about this kind of underestimation next time.

Sometimes you gotta eat sh*t before you can taste the honey.

This is true aswell, you might even grow musically because of it.
The Director know you're too good, and if you play too many songs, your sheer level of awesomeness would decimate the audience, which would be bad for future ticket sales.

Does that make you feel better?
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
The Director know you're too good, and if you play too many songs, your sheer level of awesomeness would decimate the audience, which would be bad for future ticket sales.

Does that make you feel better?

That there was pretty ufckin funny.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Wulphy

Quoted for emphasis. Seniority shouldn't overrule skill, and that's what it sounds like happened here.
Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!
just suck it up and play your songs damn ****ing good and show everyone else up.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by Wulphy

exactly. and what's wrong with sophmores? nothing.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
I always get pissed off at stuff like that

but it doesnt sound like much variety, if theres just loadsa guitarists.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by Wulphy

Bingo. Maybe he arbitrarily assigned the music?
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by hualmieda
i can play other stuff, like my rtrout song started clean and broke in with the Overdrive, and no, Its clan im the best, he sophmore is a self taught wannabe with rich parents, the junior is an idiot with no real talent and the other senior is a punk guy

That has nothing to do with it, and leads me to believe that you're just bitter. Besides, you didn't give a good reason for any of them to be worse than you - someone self taught can be a good guitarist.
An idiot can be a good musician, and talent doesn't equal playing ability - someone without natural musical talent can learn how to play well by rigorously practicing.
And you didn't even say anything about the senior, except that he's a "punk guy." I could just as easily say, "Well, he only got two songs because he's a metal guy."
Quote by Tire Me.

Quote by Bubbles516
Its super effective!
Why not do the punk and country songs?

and maybe they are better than you. Like others have posted, seniority doesn't rule.

Just do it anyways and don't complain.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by imdeth
I see no picture. I'm guessing since you capitalized "SOPHOMORE" that would be the problem.

Hmm, interesting observation, but that may have just been the final stress to accentuate the end of a long, emotional sentence.... I wish to find out how this unfolds.
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
you guys are getting me all wrong, i can play the stuff, but there are songs that are.. ya know, not punk or country (and they're in the show, mind you), and I'm like "you're killing me here man" and obviously a lot of you missed that point on me out classing them, i know all my theory, started out as a classical guitarist, but swapped out my accoustic for a nice midlevel ibanez and i shred it up now, its just waay more fun
Quote by hualmieda
you guys are getting me all wrong, i can play the stuff, but there are songs that are.. ya know, not punk or country (and they're in the show, mind you), and I'm like "you're killing me here man" and obviously a lot of you missed that point on me out classing them, i know all my theory, started out as a classical guitarist, but swapped out my accoustic for a nice midlevel ibanez and i shred it up now, its just waay more fun

Well, if you really wanted to have a big spotlight in a school variety show, you probably shouldn't have played metal.
You really aren't going to see a huge turnout of Maiden fans there.
Quote by Tire Me.

Quote by Bubbles516
Its super effective!
Quote by hualmieda

Did you expect anything more than that? I honestly have no idea what your problem is and yet you still dance around the subject, clarify please: what the **** do you want from us?
Quote by wtf290
That has nothing to do with it, and leads me to believe that you're just bitter. Besides, you didn't give a good reason for any of them to be worse than you - someone self taught can be a good guitarist.
An idiot can be a good musician, and talent doesn't equal playing ability - someone without natural musical talent can learn how to play well by rigorously practicing.
And you didn't even say anything about the senior, except that he's a "punk guy." I could just as easily say, "Well, he only got two songs because he's a metal guy."

the sophomore can play a few chords and powerchords (obviously). and has a 2000 dollar les paul custom and a Marshall JVM half stack, and he's been playing for maybe a year or two
here's an example, i head Peace Frog by The Doors was gonna be in the show, i profusely expressed my love of The Doors and the fact that i already know it, but they give it to the Sophomore. as for the other senior, he plays punk, what more is there to say, he knows a few scales and some jazz/ska chords but he is mainly I-III-V with an A minor pent
Quote by aaciseric
Did you expect anything more than that? I honestly have no idea what your problem is and yet you still dance around the subject, clarify please: what the **** do you want from us?

i wanted some people to agree with me that this isn't fair even though they claimed the distribution was "fair"

edit:
Quote by wtf290
Well, if you really wanted to have a big spotlight in a school variety show, you probably shouldn't have played metal.
You really aren't going to see a huge turnout of Maiden fans there.

i played a metal song for my tryout because it displayed my technical skills, it started of with some Jazzy stuff, then broke into a catchy Overdriven riff followed by a short shred solo, a tiny bit of tap, tehn some sweeps, ended with the main riff a quick scale run then a root chord
it was ~2:40
Seems that a fair judgement is served.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Quote by hualmieda
i wanted some people to agree with me

There's where you went wrong, we show no agreement, only hatred.
Quote by hualmieda
the sophomore can play a few chords and powerchords (obviously). and has a 2000 dollar les paul custom and a Marshall JVM half stack, and he's been playing for maybe a year or two
here's an example, i head Peace Frog by The Doors was gonna be in the show, i profusely expressed my love of The Doors and the fact that i already know it, but they give it to the Sophomore. as for the other senior, he plays punk, what more is there to say, he knows a few scales and some jazz/ska chords but he is mainly I-III-V with an A minor pent

That still has nothing to do with it. Besides, there's absolutely know way for you to actually know exactly what they know.
Kurt Cobain's songs where ridiculously simple, but he could shred. What you like to play doesn't dictate what you can play.
whatthefedit:
Quote by hualmieda

i played a metal song for my tryout because it displayed my technical skills, it started of with some Jazzy stuff, then broke into a catchy Overdriven riff followed by a short shred solo, a tiny bit of tap, tehn some sweeps, ended with the main riff a quick scale run then a root chord
it was ~2:40

Oh. Well I don't remember stuff so good... I thought you'd said you'd played a strictly metal song.
Maybe the director wanted to give the other guys more practice.
Quote by Tire Me.

Quote by Bubbles516
Its super effective!
Last edited by wtf290 at Jan 13, 2009,
Quote by wtf290
That still has nothing to do with it. Besides, there's absolutely know way for you to actually know exactly what they know.
Kurt Cobain's songs where ridiculously simple, but he could shred. What you like to play doesn't dictate what you can play.

no like he' shown me what he "can" do it its all stuff that you expect from someone who picked up the guitar to get chicks
Quote by hualmieda
no like he' shown me what he "can" do it its all stuff that you expect from someone who picked up the guitar to get chicks

I'd assumed that much-I was talking more about the "punk" guy's abilities, accepting that the sophmore was just kind of a douche.
Quote by Tire Me.

Quote by Bubbles516
Its super effective!
All I've gotten out of this thread is that you're clearly the best guitarist ever. Nobody in your school could ever match your abilities, and you should have gotten to play all nine songs, plus extended time to show off your ridiculous shred improv. With fireworks.

Was that what you're looking for?
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by aaciseric
Maybe get out of the "I'm teh br00talz" mentality and try new music styles? Country is a great style for a lead guitarist.

This guy knows what he's talking about.
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
All I've gotten out of this thread is that you're clearly the best guitarist ever. Nobody in your school could ever match your abilities, and you should have gotten to play all nine songs, plus extended time to show off your ridiculous shred improv. With fireworks.

Was that what you're looking for?

no, I KNOW Im not the best ever (not yet anyway ), but I AM the best in the school and have proved it publicly more than once. and i dont want to play all nine, that's stupid, i just wish that they had distributed the song a little more fairly like: 3-3-3-2 (the other senior is also in comedy, so 2 for him)

edit:
Quote by RubberPuppiessu
This guy knows what he's talking about.

i have no problem with country, but, I am not the one best suited for the song, my guitar has active pickups, so even with ZERO gain i still get some crunch when playing chords.
I find it ironic that you criticized the other guitarist because it was clear that 'he only picked up the guitar for the girls,' and here you are whining on an internet forum because you want a bigger spotlight to show off your amazing skills.

Playing guitar isn't about validation from your peers. If you've already 'proved' that you're the best guitarist at your school (and most likely proved you're the biggest attention ***** at the same time), what's the point?
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Page 1 of 2