I have no idea how a halfstack works, and was thinking about getting one. I have some questions!

First, I want to know completely how a stack works. How they connect, work, operate, everything!!!

I also want to know: does the wattage of the head limit the cab?

What are the do's and don't's of connecting a head to a cabinet? I know there are restrictions on which ones you can use together, but I don't know them.

And lastly, if you think there's any useful information you could give me that would help, i'd appreciate it

Thanks guys!

searchbar dis man, u fails...

oh and just to contribute, the biggest DONT in the world is turning the head on without it being connected to a cab, and also you have to use special cables, regular instrument cables WILL DIE.
halfstacks are simple, if you look at a combo amp (i bet that's what you have now) just look at the controls on it, that's the head, then look at the speaker, that's the cab.. they are connected and built together, that's why it's a combo amp. a stack is just those two things separate, so for instance you can have a Marshall head on a Fender cab for different tonal possibilities. also, with a 4 speaker cab, it would be VERY hard to transport if the head was permanently connected, so they separate them.. they connect by a simple speaker cable, which is like a guitar cord, just different shielding, one plugs into the back of the amp (head) and one goes to the cab. You have to match Ohm ratings, which is the amount of resistance the speakers have.. it's simple once you do it the first time.. just look on the cab, and it'll say for example "16 ohms" so then you plug one end of the cord into the cab, and the other end into the "16 ohm" output on the amp.. simple. the wattage of the head doesn't limit the cab, cabs don't really do anything except house the speakers.. the more powerful your head is, the louder your amp will be most of the time.

as for useful information.. you don't need a halfstack even if you are gigging and playing stadium shows. the number of speakers does not make you louder, it just pushes more air thereby affecting tone a little bit. A combo amp of the same wattage with a 1 speaker cab is just as loud as a halfstack with the same credentials.

another thing is that halfstacks are a pain in the *** to move, they weigh about 200 pounds and take up a ton of room. I wouldn't reccommend getting one unless the amp that you like only comes in as a head, and then i would say to get a 1 speaker cab. any other questions, feel free to ask
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
halfstacks are simple, if you look at a combo amp (i bet that's what you have now) just look at the controls on it, that's the head, then look at the speaker, that's the cab.. they are connected and built together, that's why it's a combo amp. a stack is just those two things separate, so for instance you can have a Marshall head on a Fender cab for different tonal possibilities. also, with a 4 speaker cab, it would be VERY hard to transport if the head was permanently connected, so they separate them.. they connect by a simple speaker cable, which is like a guitar cord, just different shielding, one plugs into the back of the amp (head) and one goes to the cab. You have to match Ohm ratings, which is the amount of resistance the speakers have.. it's simple once you do it the first time.. just look on the cab, and it'll say for example "16 ohms" so then you plug one end of the cord into the cab, and the other end into the "16 ohm" output on the amp.. simple. the wattage of the head doesn't limit the cab, cabs don't really do anything except house the speakers.. the more powerful your head is, the louder your amp will be most of the time.

as for useful information.. you don't need a halfstack even if you are gigging and playing stadium shows. the number of speakers does not make you louder, it just pushes more air thereby affecting tone a little bit. A combo amp of the same wattage with a 1 speaker cab is just as loud as a halfstack with the same credentials.

another thing is that halfstacks are a pain in the *** to move, they weigh about 200 pounds and take up a ton of room. I wouldn't reccommend getting one unless the amp that you like only comes in as a head, and then i would say to get a 1 speaker cab. any other questions, feel free to ask

Ok, I have more!

What I meant was, say you have a 15 watt head. Then you have a 100watt cab. Would that mean you could only get 15 watts out of the cab?

And yes, the reason I'm interested in stacks is because I want the Tiny Terror, which you have... And i don't want the tiny terror combo, I don't have 700 something, and i can get a good cab for less than 200 hopefully...

On a side note: How loud is the Tiny Terror exactly? I mean I know it's 15 watts but it is based on the british scale for something, and I heard it can get pretty loud. Would you say it could beat a Spider III 75 w or a Vox 50w combo?

ok well i`ll answer what you want to know.

1. a 1/2 stack/ full stack works just like anyother amp just there 2 or 3 different peices put togher.... i`ll use my Marshall as an example... 1st you put the cab where you want it, place the head on top of the cab, USE a SPEAKER cable to connect the head to the cab, make sure you match the ohms, 16 ohms in to 16 ohms ect. NOW you plug the head in, DO NOT plug the head into the wall b4 you plug the cab into the head, you can and will FRY your head if you turn it on without the cab plugged in.

flip the power switch on for a few seconds then flip the standby switch on ( make sure the guitar is plugged in 1st) set your volume and EQ and your ready to rock.

Wattage of the head doesn`t really matter as long as it`s not OVER what the cab can handle. running a 50 watt head into a 300 watt cab is fine, running a 50 watt head into a 50 watt cab will probly blow the cab up at high volumes. so just make sure the cab is more watts then the head.

when hooking up the head/cab just make sure you match the Ohms and NEVER EVER EVER turn the head on with no cab.

my Marshall and Cab is 16 ohms, the the switch on the head is flipped to 16 ohms and the plug is in the 16 ohm plug of the cab.

anyother info... uh, DON`T buy a solid state 1/2 stack, i did i learned the hard way, now i have a tubed Marshall. there cost ALOT more for a tube head but there worth it. all my advice i just typed has to do with a tube head. solid state head are alot more forgiving if you mess something up.

well it looks like acouple people beat me. oh well LOL

i also saw someone saying you don`t need a 1/2 stack... there right, but WHO CARES there look so f**king AWESOME, i`ll NEVER not own a 1/2 stack as long as i live now. and plan on making my 1/2 stack into a full stack one day.
Last edited by Slayerdeath at Jan 13, 2009,
hehe british watts

watts are watts, but tube is louder and cuts through more than solid state. if you are playing with a drummer you will need to mic tt unless you want just distortion
Yeah!
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
^so that means that If i have a 15 watt head and a 100 watt cab, i can't get louder than 15 watts?

pretty much ya..... but 15 tube watts is ALOT louder then 15 solid state watts.

example

My Marshall JCM 900 50 watt 1/2 stack

Nephews Line 6 spider II 75HD 75 watt solid state

my Marshall just eats his Line 6 alive with 25 less watts. even with my Marshall set at 25 watts i`m still way louder if we max our amps out. ( my amp has a switch in the back for 25/50 watts. )
that 15 watt amp will destroy any solid state amp up to 100 watts, i'd say.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
To TS, speakers are the most overlooked part of a persons tone. Dont buy some **** cab with **** speakers and think it will do any amp justice.

It would stay 15 watts, a cab would just be rated at _ watts

4 speakers are only (3db?) louder than a quarter stack, so not much difference besides the perceived volume because technically more speakers fills a room better so its not so directional.

Dont buy a cheap cab, its not worth it. If cabs are cheap then its because there are **** speakers in it. For example, a "designed by _ (celestion, eminence, etc.)" with the emphasis on designed in tiny font. Low grade components and poor build quality.
Quote by kool98769
that 15 watt amp will destroy any solid state amp up to 100 watts, i'd say.

No, dont be an idiot. Tube isnt that much louder than SS, depending on how the amp is rated of course. Remember 10 watts is half as loud as 100 watts. A tiny terror can maybe match a 75 watt solid state when the tiny terror's gain is on full. Not surpass it, thats for sure.
Quote by Slayerdeath
pretty much ya..... but 15 tube watts is ALOT louder then 15 solid state watts.

example

My Marshall JCM 900 50 watt 1/2 stack

Nephews Line 6 spider II 75HD 75 watt solid state

my Marshall just eats his Line 6 alive with 25 less watts. even with my Marshall set at 25 watts i`m still way louder if we max our amps out. ( my amp has a switch in the back for 25/50 watts. )

*cracks knuckles*

You're not louder per se, sound produced by tubes is easier for a human's ears to take in for some reason, where solid state sound waves are not. Thusly, we hear the sound better, and this makes tubes sound louder.

That, and they just are . But only slightly.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Watts is a measurement of power, not volume. Decibels is the measure for volume. While you can use watts to somewhat predict the volume of an amp, you can't expect a 100w head to be twice as loud as a 50w head.

Also take note that a good head will still sound like **** coming through a ****ty cab. I highly recommend that you run the tiny terror through a vintage 30 loaded cab. I bet you that a marshall mg would sound better running through a vintage 30 loaded cab than the tiny terror would through the MG cab. Although the tiny terror would sound miles ahead the mg through the v30 cab.

The quality of a speaker and its enclosure has the ability to either fully display the full capability of the amp or to completely limit the amp and its capabilities.
My band.
www.myspace.com/bransonny

My gear.
Marshall: JCM800 2205, 6100, 1960AV
H&K: Triamp MKII, Duotone
Mesa: Recto recording pre, 212
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
Gibson: LP std, SG std, SG goth, SG spec
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE
Just wondering, not trying to be a dick or anything, but why would you think about getting a half-stack if you have no idea how it works? o_o
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by trunks1504
hehe british watts

watts are watts, but tube is louder and cuts through more than solid state. if you are playing with a drummer you will need to mic tt unless you want just distortion

Well... Here's what I was talking about.
Quote by Orange Amps
15 watts may not seem like a lot, but Orange rate their amplifiers the British way – 15 watts RMS clean. This means that when it comes to power the Tiny Terror will give many 30 watt amplifiers a run for their money!

Quote by V.U.K
Just wondering, not trying to be a dick or anything, but why would you think about getting a half-stack if you have no idea how it works? o_o

I know how to use one, just not how they work. And plus I want to know how something works before I buy it. That's why I made this. I'm not getting one like tomorrow or anything, it'll be a while.

hey guys, ok so here's the deal about the tiny terror.. i think i can answer it since i HAVE IT

it's loud as ****.. easily gets over a hard hitting drummer, like an insanely loud drummer at 6 volume and gain on about 6. this is a nice crunchy tone.

it does NOT have clean headroom, almost none at all.. enough for bedroom practice but when you gig, there are no cleans on it. that's not a problem for me though, it just the character of the amp and i love it.

as for a comparison, my 30 watt MG cranked all the way is not anywhere close to the volume of this thing, and a 50 watt yamaha Solid state amp is still significantly quieter than it. I haven't even cranked the TT yet, only about 75% of the way, and that's playing with earplugs and it still made my ears ring after a while..

it's a great amp.. i would suggest a 2x12 cab then to go with it.. it has 3 outputs on the back, 2 8 ohm and 1 16 ohm, so this means you can make a full stack (pointless IMO) with 2 8ohm cabs, or just use on 16ohm cab for a halfstack.

let me know if you have any other questions.. i WILL respond, just delayed because i'm multitasking
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by V.U.K

Why not?
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quick Guide:

1. Head (controls) connects to Cab (speakers) via a SPEAKER CABLE.
2. Match the ohms. Some mismatches you can get away with, but I don't recommend everdoing any of that. 16 Ohm cab connects to the 16 Ohm out on the head, etc.
3. 4x12 cabs are not louder than 2x12 cabs. They spread the sound and add bass. They also weigh a lot more. (Get a 2x12)
4. 15w Valve is worth about 70 SS watts in volume.
5. Lower wattage valve amps have less clean headroom, so if cleans are your thing you're going to need more wattage to get loud cleans without any breakup.
6. Do NOT turn on the head without any speakers attached. It doesn't do the amp any good, even if you do get away with nothing blowing up. Standby without any speakers attached is ok.
7. Let the head cool down before moving it after a show or whatever. The glass in a valve is more fragile when it is cooling down.
8. Get a decent cab with decent construction. Do not buy Behringer, Marshall MG cabs, Peavey cabs.
9. If connecting two cabs in parallel to the head (i.e daisy chaining or plugging into seperate sockets on the head [stereo]) you halve the ohmage. So two 16 ohm cabs in parallel = 8 Ohms total load. Do not mix cabs of different ohmage ratings.
10. Contrary to popular belief, half and quarter stacks are sometimes neccessary, and it's your decision after all. Have fun!
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Jan 13, 2009,
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
hey guys, ok so here's the deal about the tiny terror.. i think i can answer it since i HAVE IT

it's loud as ****.. easily gets over a hard hitting drummer, like an insanely loud drummer at 6 volume and gain on about 6. this is a nice crunchy tone.

it does NOT have clean headroom, almost none at all.. enough for bedroom practice but when you gig, there are no cleans on it. that's not a problem for me though, it just the character of the amp and i love it.

as for a comparison, my 30 watt MG cranked all the way is not anywhere close to the volume of this thing, and a 50 watt yamaha Solid state amp is still significantly quieter than it. I haven't even cranked the TT yet, only about 75% of the way, and that's playing with earplugs and it still made my ears ring after a while..

it's a great amp.. i would suggest a 2x12 cab then to go with it.. it has 3 outputs on the back, 2 8 ohm and 1 16 ohm, so this means you can make a full stack (pointless IMO) with 2 8ohm cabs, or just use on 16ohm cab for a halfstack.

let me know if you have any other questions.. i WILL respond, just delayed because i'm multitasking

Now THAT is what I wanted to hear! Thank you! I may have more questions about the TT, so please keep watching this thread. And to the guy above me, thanks for the help! Are there any cabs that you recommend me? (under $200)

Quote by FightinIrishPJ

woah woah woah. this is entirely ****ing wrong.

when you run 2 16ohm cabs you actually plug the two cabs into the two 8ohm outs. This is because the outs are wired in parallel. Running 16ohms out into an 8ohm cab is likely to blow something.

Quote by SaintsofNowhere
Now THAT is what I wanted to hear! Thank you! I may have more questions about the TT, so please keep watching this thread. And to the guy above me, thanks for the help! Are there any cabs that you recommend me? (under $200)

www.avatarspeakers.com

save up $200 more and get a 212 loaded with hellatone 60's or vintage 30's. Otherwise your orange is going to sound like garbage compared to what you hear in the store. Buying a cheap cab is just going to destroy the tone of your amp.
My band.

My gear.
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE
i totally agree with the person above me.. the avatar contemporary 1x12 cab for 229 bucks is great. you can always upgrade the cab later, that's the benefit of a stack

and person above me, sorry about the 2 8ohm cab thing.. i only have a half stack and thought that's what a guy i know told me, thanks for the correction!
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Last edited by FightinIrishPJ at Jan 13, 2009,
Quote by bartdevil_metal
http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

Ideal for cheap cabs if you're in the US. for an extra $29 you can get the 112 contemporary. 1X12, but TBH under $200's a bit light for a cab budget.

so you would say the contemporary 112 is better than the vintage and traditional?

When paired with the Tiny Terror I would. Were you to buy a more american tweedish amp or something I would tell you to reconsider. Basically in my experience EL34 Valves <3 V30 Speakers.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
When paired with the Tiny Terror I would. Were you to buy a more american tweedish amp or something I would tell you to reconsider. Basically in my experience EL34 Valves <3 V30 Speakers.

Do you think the TT would be ok for gigging? Would you say I would need to mic it? Also, what would I do if i NEEDED cleans? And lastly, if I got a boost, do you think it would make it noticably louder?

Do you think the TT would be ok for gigging?

Depends on the size of the gig, but I think you could do small ones WITHOUT cleans unmicced.
Would you say I would need to mic it?

For larger gigs most definitley.

Also, what would I do if i NEEDED cleans?

It depends on how clean you want those cleans, but all you'll be able to do is turn it down quite low. It doesn't have a lot of clean headroom. Aternatively you could buy a supremely clean amp like a Fender Blues Junior in the future and A/B/Y the two.
And lastly, if I got a boost, do you think it would make it noticably louder?

Boosts don't make an amp louder, they give the amp more gain. On a clean channel they cause it to break up earlier, though they get louder as if you turned it up anyway, so .
use your neck pickup for cleans and set its volume really low. or get a volume pedal.
My band.

My gear.
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE