Discuss the Monroe Doctrine (this could be a very short-lived thread)

I personally think it's extremely surprising that it held any credibility. The States had no real power at the time to make those kinds of jurisdictions, and if Europe hadn't been so caught up with other things going on, it could have easily counteracted the doctrine.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Erm....why do we wanna talk about it?
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
sometimes bluffs works.
Yea that's right, I want something to explode

I've been deaf, now I want noise

LOUD LOVE
Quote by themetalbucket
sometimes bluffs works.

I am the most awesome person on UG....
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
I'm guessing Europe didnt want to waste time, money, and soldiers fighting off a nation as small as the US was.
Quote by floppypick
I am the most awesome person on UG....

What a coincidence... I too have an Uncle..
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
From what I read in my history book ( a whie ago mind you) the u.s. had the british backing them up. It was like a five year old making fun of a person and the person can't do thing to the kid because the kid's gigantic dad is standing right behind him.
Quote by Td_Nights
I went as Darth Vadar to a school dance before.

Sure I got kicked out, but the DJ played the Imperial March and I just felt badass.
Quote by Bamitchell
Erm....why do we wanna talk about it?

It affected future events in history, like Manifest Destiny, the Roosevelt Corollary, and the Cold War.. I find that interesting
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

from what i remember, it was just an attempt by america to be taken seriously by europe because they were a weak and newly founded nation
Quote by SleightOfHand
****in right budday! grunge is the shiite!

didnt read ur post tho so dont know what im agreeing to.

Quote by horloko
Good. More centaur pussy for me.

Quote by myearshurt

God bless you GrungeBeatle

Quote by deathnote29
From what I read in my history book ( a whie ago mind you) the u.s. had the british backing them up. It was like a five year old making fun of a person and the person can't do thing to the kid because the kid's gigantic dad is standing right behind him.

Not at all. It was to help stall British power in the area, actually
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I'm simply too lazy to look this up.
I have no idea what it is.
But watch as I quote another user to seem like I do:

It affected future events in history, like Manifest Destiny, the Roosevelt Corollary, and the Cold War.. I find that interesting

Not only that, but it was fundamental in America's development.

See?
I thought this was going to be about Marilyn Monroe.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Any particular reason to discuss this? What's to discuss? Obviously the nation wasn't well developed at that point, but the imperialism (mainly in South America) was fucked and JQA didn't want others to jump in and fill the holes. I mean, think about it, some statement like this was bound to be announced eventually. The United States didn't intend to leave America open to continuous colonization, imperialism, exploiting colonies for the motherland, claiming land, selling land, etc. for all eternity now did they?
And it went both ways, stating that America would not intervene in Europe or European wars either ( ) . The nation had nothing to back it up, but that didn't matter, because it was successful anyway.

Quote by vintagemetal

Not at all. It was to help stall British power in the area, actually

He's sort of correct. The British enforced it for us. It wasn't a formal agreement or treaty or anything, but they certainly did. The doctrine wasn't aimed at the British at all.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Last edited by MTVget0FFtheAIR at Jan 13, 2009,
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR

He's sort of correct. The British enforced it for us. It wasn't a formal agreement or treaty or anything, but they certainly did. The doctrine wasn't aimed at the British at all.

Yeah, it was the kind of thing where Americans wanted to be all BAMF and say it themselves because they knew the british would back them up on it
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
^I wouldn't say it was that close of a friendship. The War of 1812 wasn't too far in the past. Britain was interested in the general idea of worldwide neutral waters at the time, they didn't really care for us in particular. So at the time it was declared, it was an empty threat, but it just became a mutual interest between US and Britain as time unfolded.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Last edited by MTVget0FFtheAIR at Jan 13, 2009,
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR

They directly used it against the British in Venezuela

It was certainly aided by enforcement of the British but they were too powerful at the time to care about its possible threat
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Ahhh takes my back to the good old days of American Studies last year, I miss that class....
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
We have yet to actually follow through with what the Monroe Doctrine was written for.
showing off what you learned in history class?

very impressive
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Zugunruhe
showing off what you learned in history class?

very impressive

No Fuck off
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

It was a bold move, to say the least. I don't think Monroe knew exactly what implications that move would have, nor the affect it would have on trans-Atlantic politics.

It helped to create a divided world. Not necessarily in geological terms (such as hemispheres), but in social and political ways. Instead of a unified vision of the world, with one hemisphere being involved with the other, we have one with completely separate spheres of influence. Influences now "cross the Atlantic (or Pacific)" instead of just being a domestic issue. Much in the same way Europeans envisioned Asia for hundreds of years.

Of course, it has failed on several regards, such as the UK Virgin Islands and the Falklands War.

Like I said, a bold move.
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
On a side note, TS, love the username. I'd kill to be under you.