I've narrowed my search down to 3 specific guitars finally, so i'm just looking for some input from ppl who own or have tried these guitars... Ibanez RGA121, Ibanez RGT42FXQM, and the Schecter Hellraiser... The two Ibanezes are not in stock in any music store near me, so i do not have the luxury of trying them out... The Hellraiser i tried a while ago but i don't remember how it felt... I tried a C-1 Classic the other day and to be honest the high bridge felt awkward to me, and it felt a little tough to play, especially at the high frets, but that may have been due to higher gauge strings and/or action... Basically if i get either of the Ibanezes, i would probably stick w/ the stock pickups for a year and then switch them out to EMG 81/85s... The Hellraiser has 81/89s so i wouldn't have to worry about switching pickups... Basically i'm looking for the one with the best playability... I play some classic rock, more 80s rock & metal, & some modern hard rock/metal...
I have never played any but i have been a big fan of schecter and have played a couple of their guitars and really liked it.
rga121... MIJ prestige (that's the reason, more or less).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Wow... Those are two quite different guitars. Extremely different neck profiles, EMG pickups in the hellraiser, different body woods...
I myself would take the RGA121, but i'm not the biggest schecter fan and there are some people on here that are like "Schecter 4 lyfe!! lo0l synyzter g@t3z ftw!"

Not exactly but you get my point.
that too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
RGA121, you can always mod a guitar with aftermarket parts but you can't change the craftsmanship (without some prior knowledge or money).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
well, the schecter is totally different from the 2 ibanezs.
If you like a little chunky necks, that come with a little higher action, and that mahogony wood(correct me if im wrong about the mahgony).
a hellraiser is a lot like a les paul with EMGs(to me anyways)
those ibanezs are more like strats with hotter pickups and necks that are little faster.
have you played any of them?
Quote by stratdud39
If you like a little chunky necks, that come with a little higher action, and that mahogony wood(correct me if im wrong about the mahgony).
those ibanezs are more like strats with hotter pickups and necks that are little faster.

The RGA is mahogany too.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
rga121 , think the playablity is the same as my rga321, and it beats the hellraiser which i also have by far

and it will be alot more comfortable to play, and that is one of the most important things
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

Quote by Jaekae
rga121 , think the playablity is the same as my rga321, and it beats the hellraiser which i also have by far

and it will be alot more comfortable to play, and that is one of the most important things

thats preference
Quote by stratdud39

Well i played a Schecter C-1 Classic yesterday in GC and it seemed harder to play than a $450 Ibanez RG that i tried out right before it... I'm guessing the C-1 would be pretty similar to the Hellraiser but i might go back to GC to try it out anyway... This is a big upgrade from my cheap Squier Strat...
Quote by VanMaidenFan88
Well i played a Schecter C-1 Classic yesterday in GC and it seemed harder to play than a $450 Ibanez RG that i tried out right before it... I'm guessing the C-1 would be pretty similar to the Hellraiser but i might go back to GC to try it out anyway... This is a big upgrade from my cheap Squier Strat...

so then it seems as though you should go with the RGA, happy upgrading
Thanks for all the replies so far... Seems like the RGA is the favorite. Here's the links to the specs of the 2 Ibanezes... Very tough decision for me... I happen to like the color of the RGT a little better, more flavor, plus its a little cheaper so i might be inclined to go with that one. On the other hand, the RGA comes with a case ... Also, is there any major difference b/w V7/V8 and INF1/2 pickups?

http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=RGT42FXQM
http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=RGA121H
I recommend the RGA121. To me, the neck is more comfortable, the fretwork is nicer, and the bridge is one of the most comfortable fixed bridges I've played on. The guitar is mahogany with a maple top so it is brighter and has a bit more snap to it. The stock pickups aren't terrible, but I'd recommend dimarzio pickups or bareknuckles instead of emgs, as the satin finish and overall tone of this guitar shouldn't be wasted on emgs. Like Dave said, being MIJ this guitar has a higher quality craftsmanship to it which definately shows. I actually got mine for $500 practically new off craigslist.

These aren't the greatest pics, but I'll post them anyway.

Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Quote by lespaulrocks39
I recommend the RGA121. To me, the neck is more comfortable, the fretwork is nicer, and the bridge is one of the most comfortable fixed bridges I've played on. The guitar is mahogany with a maple top so it is brighter and has a bit more snap to it. The stock pickups aren't terrible, but I'd recommend dimarzio pickups or bareknuckles instead of emgs, as the satin finish and overall tone of this guitar shouldn't be wasted on emgs. Like Dave said, being MIJ this guitar has a higher quality craftsmanship to it which definately shows. I actually got mine for $500 practically new off craigslist.

These aren't the greatest pics, but I'll post them anyway.

Nice pics... Also i forgot to add that the RGT is a neck-thru... Not sure what type of neck the RGA has but i'm assuming its not a neck-thru since it doesn't say so. Considering that the RGA would still be better to go with?
Quote by stratdud39
thats preference

true but there is some fact also, the bridge on the hellraiser got some sharp edges, while the gibraltar plus bridge on the rga is smooth as silk.

And the corner of the hellraiser isnt curved at all so it hurt the underarm when playing for a long time, but that only affect those who rest the underarm against the guitar

But for the neck its all preference, but if one got kinda sweaty hands it feels better with a satin finish on the neck than a gloss finish ( atleast imo )
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

Last edited by Jaekae at Jan 13, 2009,
Quote by VanMaidenFan88
Nice pics... Also i forgot to add that the RGT is a neck-thru... Not sure what type of neck the RGA has but i'm assuming its not a neck-thru since it doesn't say so. Considering that the RGA would still be better to go with?

Considering the neck joint and the wide horns, fret access isn't a problem at all.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Honestly, i'm like the only person who hates the hellraiser so don't go by my opinion about it, but when i played 1, it felt like playing the thick end of a baseball bat, so that REALLY turned me off. Go wit the RGA121
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by lespaulrocks39
Considering the neck joint and the wide horns, fret access isn't a problem at all.

I was referring more to the tone & sound... Aren't neck-thrus supposed to produce better sound quality in a guitar?
Quote by John5rules125
Honestly, i'm like the only person who hates the hellraiser so don't go by my opinion about it, but when i played 1, it felt like playing the thick end of a baseball bat, so that REALLY turned me off. Go wit the RGA121

Only the C-1 Hellraisers have thick necks, and they're not really that bad. The Hellraiser Avenger necks are absolutely fantastic for me, and I have small hands.

I can't really vote here, having not played all of the guitars, but I'm betting most of the other people here haven't either. All I know is I have two Hellraisers and they're both not only comfier and better sounding than any Ibanez I've ever played, they're also set up better from the factory.

And I compared my new Hellraiser's action to my friend's new Ibanez, and even he admitted the Hellraiser had the best action he'd ever seen.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Both the Hellraiser and the RGA are great guitars. Schecters build quality is pretty damn good. However my vote goes to the RGA. They are seriously some of the best playing guitars Ibanez has made EVER!!! A pickup swap and they are seriously awesome guitars. My next guitar purchase will probably be a RGA with BKP's.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
i have the rga121 and it is great. easiest bending strings ever(cause the bridge is so far from the nut ). the bridge is great. the neck is great if you like thin front to back and kinda wide side to side. neck is flat on back and fretboard is flat.

pick ups are ok. thinking of trying new ones. i think the neck thru thing is not really an issue. i have the action set REAL low. fast as ****. i got mine almost new off ebay for 650 shipped. he shipped it in the case with no box around it! was fine tho.
Just checked out the RGA121, and I gotta say, I really recommend the Hellraiser. The RGA is more expensive, and you're just gonna pull out those pickups anyway. You're basically paying extra for the neck. I must admit the Wizard Prestige neck is great for a lot of people, but I wouldn't really consider it worth the difference in cost (about $100) plus the price of new pickups. Of course, you might decide you really like the neck and that comfort is important to you (assuming the Wizard is to your liking) and pickups can just be swapped later, but I'm still gonna have to recommend the Schecter.

And all this stuff about Ibanez having better build quality is crap. Schecters have excellent build quality and some of the best setups in the business.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Quote by aznrockerdude
The RGA is mahogany too.

yeah, but even still the rg feels and plays more like a superstrat. the maple bolt-on neck and thick maple top make it pretty bright and snappy, regardless of the maple body...

Quote by VanMaidenFan88
I was referring more to the tone & sound... Aren't neck-thrus supposed to produce better sound quality in a guitar?

not really. it's "different", rather than "better".

that thru-neck ibanez isn't MIJ prestige, either. I could be wrong, but i'd rather have an MIJ prestige bolt-on than a korean thru-neck (with ibanez, anyway).

that natural RGA 121 is awesome, by the way, nice pics, lespaulrocks
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, but even still the rg feels and plays more like a superstrat. the maple bolt-on neck and thick maple top make it pretty bright and snappy, regardless of the maple body...

I was trying to make a point here.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
haha, no problem. i'm not fussed on schecters either. i was just pointing out that the RG doesn't really sound like most people would expect a mahogany guitar to sound...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Taste aside, the RGA121 is simply a higher quality guitar then the other two.

EDIT: About the mahogany: A guitar as thin as the RGA121 doesn't exactly sound like an LP. It's got a nice attack and plenty of mids, so it's a good rock guitar.

EDIT: 'Neck-through' doesn't say much about a guitars quality - I, for example, picked up a bolt-on guitar even though I would've been able to get a very high quality neck-through guitar for the same price. It's a matter of taste - bolt-on's have better attack and more top-end, making the guitar 'snappy'. Neck throughs generally have a slower attack, but have more (and better defined) low end, so even a rather light neck-through axe can sound big and pretty bassy.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jan 14, 2009,
agreed. however, if you hate the wizard neck, that might not matter...

EDIT: yeah, agreed about the thinness- compare something like an SG to a LP, for example. plus the RGA goes one step further with the maple bolt-on neck and thick maple top... it shouldn't be too surprising, in other words.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
agreed. however, if you hate the wizard neck, that might not matter...

That's a problem I have: The Prestige Wizard. Strange enough, the Wizard 2 feels fine to me.
Quote by ManInAClownSuit
And all this stuff about Ibanez having better build quality is crap. Schecters have excellent build quality and some of the best setups in the business.

1) Schecters have good quality for what they cost. They are not my cup of tee, but build quality is not a matter of taste, so I have to admit they are good.
2) The more basic Ibanez Prestige guitars like the RGA121 are built to a higher standard nevertheless. If you don't believe me, go and try out the guitars. That the pickups aren't too fantastic doesn't even matter much, because the core of the guitar, the woods and construction, are better on a Prestige Ibanez than on a Schecter. If you put the same pickups in those two guitars, the Ibanez would sound plain better.

Now, whether the difference in quality justifies the difference in price is a different story altogether. Everybody needs to figure that out for himself.
EDIT: ^ +1

Quote by TheQuailman
That's a problem I have: The Prestige Wizard. Strange enough, the Wizard 2 feels fine to me.

i liked the neck on the rga i tried, but i have tried some prestige RG ibanez necks, and i preferred my wizard II on my rg470 too...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?