hey all, my 18th in a few months (well....7) and anyway, im planing to get a tube amp for under £500

I want to check out the VC30, HRD and AC15, Are there any other suggestions?

Im looking for big cleans, alot of headroom, good overdrive that goes from grainy to chunky and will be able to do modern rock.

my influences for tone are Brand New, Manic Street Preachers, Radiohead, Explosions in the sky, This will destroy you etc..

Doesent bother me if its combo or halfstack.

Thanks.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
The HRD has great cleans, but crap overdrive.

Never played/experienced a VC30 or AC15.

Maybe check out a Peavey Classic 30 or a Line 6 Flextone. It might not be tube but it's a damn good modeller (infinitely superior to the Spider).
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by pepsi1187
do you plan to gig?

if not you dont really need a tube amp

youre an idiot

i recommend the marshall dsl401
Quote by Td_Nights
*Points to Above Poster*

Best. Username. Ever.

Quote by _-Joey-_
I wish I was gay...

PSN- td_rules Steam- tdrules
Quote by pepsi1187
do you plan to gig?

if not you dont really need a tube amp

I do gig, i also do my own recording work, i also like good tone.

And this is why im after a tube amp.

Quote by Raijouta
check out a Peavey Classic 30 or a Line 6 Flextone. It might not be tube but it's a damn good modeller (infinitely superior to the Spider).

Not to fond of the classic 30, i used to use one in the studio and it just diddn't do it for me.

And the Flextone i've always seen as a good idea if i was in a cover's band, i've played around with the 2 and 3xl, but the only modelling amp i would really really consider as a tube alternative is the Vetta series, Unfortunatley, I don't have Vetta money

Quote by tdrules
i recommend the marshall dsl401

I can actually get a JCM2000 DSL with 1960a 4x12 cab for bang on 500 from a friend, but im not to fond of marshall cabinet's really, and the cab's i really like (flat down mesa 4x12's or orange 2x12's) would knock me out of budget, but i suppouse i could consider it..
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

Last edited by cliff_em_all at Jan 13, 2009,
I see. Well, I'd recommend the HRD if you'd be willing to get a good overdrive/distortion.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
I see. Well, I'd recommend the HRD if you'd be willing to get a good overdrive/distortion.

Got my turbo rat for distortion, currently running an SD-1 for overdrive which will hopefully be replaced by an OCD or crowther hotcake.
Quote by ZanasCross

Check out Blackstar Amps, they're a newish British Amp, but are handwired in Korea & are getting really good reviews in all the guitar mags. There prices are really good for handwired Amps.

http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/
A new DSL401 was what leapt to my mind as it's surprisingly versatile for a Marshall and is great for all sorts of Rock, especially with the pedals you have.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by bartdevil_metal
The Laney LC-30 is more modern IMO.

+1, and more fendery cleans too. the lc50 is probably worth a look too. peavey classic 30 is probably worth a look too, if it has enough headroom and big enough cleans...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by cliff_em_all
my influences for tone are Brand New, Manic Street Preachers, Radiohead, Explosions in the sky, This will destroy you etc..

Doesent bother me if its combo or halfstack.

Brand New and Radiohead both use AC30's.

Sounds like a Laney VC30 would be a fantastic idea...Then your Rate should be good for anything heavier.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
The Laney LC-30 is more modern IMO.

troof

i prefer the cleans on the VC but it depends what you want, cleans or gain.

TS: look at the sound city SC series, you'll have cash left for pedals/pickups

and also a used orange rocker 30
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Yeah, a Rocker 30 will get you those tones (I own it, it does). It goes as heavy as thrash etal, but loves the cranked crunch sound. That's where it really shines.