please dont turn this into a religion thread... if your gonna trash church, just leave

My mom volunteered me to play bass in my church's P&W group... ive been playing bass for about a year and a half... i know the notes of the fretboard and can basically read music... i dont know much thoery however.

apparently all the music is gonna be straight played off of lead sheets(chords lyrics melody). Should i just stick to straight roots? or should i get creative with it? how can i get creative and improv basslines off of a lead sheet?
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?
hmm i did the same kind of thing too a while ago..basically what we got was a sheet with lyrics on it with the chords above them like E B A..that kind of stuff.and i just took those root notes, payed them and also played the 3rd and 5ths of them as well..made arpeggios and stuff...just stick to the roots 3rd and 5ths and have fun with it
Last edited by slap-a-bass at Jan 13, 2009,
Ask Fassa.

Edit: Crap she's not online...

Just play the root notes from the sheet and add a bit of decoration if you feel like it, just don't go overboard.
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
Last edited by ravioli123 at Jan 13, 2009,
You could trying PMing Rick (83LesPaulStudio) he also plays in a P&W band.

Start out simple though and then build on that using the 3rds and Fifths, sometimes with a few passing notes from chord to chord. It really depends on the type of P&W music you're playing.
I sometimes jam with a worship band, and I approach those songs with a classic RnB/Motown mentality, and it sounds great. Try listening to that sort of stuff and you might get some ideas.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
When I played with my church's band, I tended to use a lot of roots and fifths, and I tried to use harmonics and chords to change things up. Also, as stated above, you can try and take a funkier mentality, a la folks like Andre Gouche.
I've been doing P&W as long as I've been playing. (literally)

The best thing to do is blend into the music as best you can. P&W is kind of weird in that the music isn't the focus of the song, so nobody wants to stand out. Roots, thirds, fifths, etc are your friends. You can get creative with it, but don't overplay. Try to use stuff that follows the chord changes well. Casting Crowns' "The Altar and the Door" has some very creative stuff in it that you might be able to draw inspiration from. I know that's not quite P&W, but you can use what's there.
Nope, no sig here.
I play in a praise and worship band, we took 11th in Nationals for NFAF. Got me around 10 grand for college.

Just play the root notes and get a groove down. Once you learn to groove, you'll be fine. I use pentatonics for fills and whatnot. Learn a lot of Planetshakers and Hillsong. Great for worship and getting a groove down. Also, use other notes besides what's on the sheet, like to transition between chords.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Roots are always good. Get creative with fills, but make them fit. Throw some nice bass notes in there too, like inverting the chord, and arpeggio it.
i read the title and assumed someone made a thread about me.

but seriously get creative if all ur getting is root notes to work with thats just as good as permision to right some sweet flowing bass lines
Keep On Keepen' On
what am I, chopped liver?

a good repeated groove (think Money, Another One Bites The Dust) is great with a small group.
follow the roots in large groups.

tone wise, bass and treble down, most churches will echo like nuts with the bass, most churchgoers do not appreciate oversparkliness.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
My dad has been the "Worship leader" in a bunch of churches of the past couple years, so I've been sucker into playing bass a couple times...

Don't go overboard. Provide solid, low end presence. Especially one slower stuff, let the bass just roll off, you don't have to get really busy. Just set the mood.
Quote by the humanity
a good repeated groove (think Money, Another One Bites The Dust) is great with a small group. follow the roots in large groups.

+1, especially if you have a pianist with a heavy left hand.

tone wise, bass and treble down, most churches will echo like nuts with the bass, most churchgoers do not appreciate oversparkliness.

Agreed on that, though you can't have too much mids either, or it sounds honky and stands out more than it should. Low mids are where it's at for the most part. Like the good captain said, set the mood. A flanger or chorus can help you blend in better and not boom as much, if you need it. Danelectro had some decent-sounding ones for very cheap.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Jan 14, 2009,
Good advice already posted about roots and fifths. Sometimes you can find tabs or lead sheets with the bass part. You can find recordings of most of the common Praise songs, even on youtube.

You did not really specify what type of Praise music. If it is more main stream or pop listen to Hillsong, Chris Tomlin, Paul Baloche. Mat Redman, Casting Crowns. These artist record or write most of the top requested and used songs according to CCLI.

Keep things simple and clean. The bass and the drums need to lock in and keep good time for the Praise team and congregation to follow. Studies of what congregations listen for are voice, piano, bass and drums.

As for being creative, that is good you can add you own little touches to fills, grooves changes and dynamics in the songs.

In a little time playing together the Praise team will lock into a groove working like a band. Remember to listen to the singers. Sometimes the singers especially if there is a soloist can wander off, repeat, or skip sections. Just listen and it will work out fine.
In my worship band we have a paino, and 2 voilins as lead instruments. 3 guitars strumming chords and a drummer. That pretty much means not much room for anything other than roots for myself. If you'r in a situation like me its better to be felt than herd.
Quote by brianmoorebass
In my worship band we have a paino, and 2 voilins as lead instruments. 3 guitars strumming chords and a drummer. That pretty much means not much room for anything other than roots for myself. If you'r in a situation like me its better to be felt than herd.

ewww. no breathing room whatsoever.

I love my God and Savior.

He gave me one drummer, an acoustic guitar player, and 3 vocalists. much more space for me to develop.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

We have drums, electric, acoustic, bass, 3 vocals (not including myself) and keys. Mary, who plays keys, plays heavy as hell on the left hand, so I leave my lows relatively down. Mids and treble boosted on a Fender amp.
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by NHMattBass
I've got, one drummer, one acoustic, one electric guitar player, 2 vocalists, and sometimes the acoustic player sings. It's nice not having a keyboard, you can play extremely busy and nobody complains .

if I'm careful, I can use a completely different chord change than the guitarist.

that is more than busy.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by NHMattBass
Eh, I can't really get away with that, the two guitars change chords at the same time, so if I don't, sounds messed up.

When the drummers not playing I strum faux chords on the D and G strings, surprisingly it sounds really good and beefs up the acoustic guitars sound, anybody else do that?

you mean double stops?

I use them to accentuate the offbeat in fast songs sometimes.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I was just gonna say to warn your keyboardist that if they move their left hand too far down, you will snap it in half. In P&W, the kick is your best friend. The Left hand of the pianist is your enemy...
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
Ive been trying to fit into my church P&W band but I just dont know my fretboard notes.Anyone know a fast way to learn it?
With 5 singers a pianist and no drummer I dont have lots of stuff to go on.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Last edited by c3powil at Jan 14, 2009,
I was playing in a P&W within a week of getting my first bass, so I was in that same position. What I did was find a chart and put it in a place where I could see it while playing. Look at the chords for the song you're playing, and make a pattern from it. It'll get you by until you get the FB down, but make sure not to rely on it once you do.
Nope, no sig here.
I've been playing in the school Chapel band all last year. took me a while to get the hang of what they wanted.

Just keep it simple.

Our setup, was, two terrible, terrible... TERRIBLE guitarists with no timing. good drummer, one exceptional Guitarist who turn the other two down, the teacher on guitar, who was pretty decent, a piano, sometime two piano's, Clarinet, Trumpet, and two Flutes, and a small choir, of like, 5 girls with the male teacher singing lead.

so. 4 guitarist, 6 vocals, 2 pianos, 2 flutes, clarinet trumpet, drummer and me on bass.

wow.

Only song I found creative space for was in a really slow one, I added in a Tapped line to get to the next chord.

but yea, keep it simple!
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
We sometimes have two keyboardists, with one playing pads, but NEVER two pianos. I'd die.
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
I for the most part play roots (I know, boring) but we also have 3 guitars who get very lost with much else. I play some passing notes between chords, and occasionally i have a full out line for a few songs.
Well, we only have one piano in the Chapel.

so, sometimes the other music teacher plays with us, then the other kid plays a keyboard. I Think he still uses a piano setting and stuff...

Its dreadful.

the Bassist before me payed not much attention to anything besides him and the drums

But because I've been trained (briefly) in live sound I've tried has hard as I can to even it out.

the crappy guitarists always turn there gain to 11.

Its dreadful.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by the humanity
what am I, chopped liver?

a good repeated groove (think Money, Another One Bites The Dust) is great with a small group.
follow the roots in large groups.

Yeah, this will help a lot. I did some holiday jazz with my school and I had to read the chord symbols above the music and come up with grooves. Helped everyone, especially if we got off.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
this thread is PERFECTfor me to ask a few questions in....i played bass for a little bit in H.S. but didnt learn much. just got one (7 years later) ibanez, and have had it about 2 weeks. we have a praise and worship team rotation at our church of usually 3 teams. at any given time its usually 2 acoustic guitars, piano, drummer (sometimes not), and bass. and usually like 3-5 vocalists. there is only 1 or 2 guys that play bass at our church so lots of times there is no bassist. i have already been asked to think about playing, but im not nearly ready......wondering the best practice, and best way to learn what i will need to know.....they practice once a week, and play stuff like hillsong etc.....

im open to any and all tips of: how to practice, what to practice, what to study etc etc.....
scales and the chord changes.

just integrate yourself, you'll learn way faster.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I agree with almost everyone on the thread, roots and fifths are all you need. You just have to be solid and provide a platform for the singer/choir/guitarists/violinists/flautists/whatever to do whatever they feel they should be doing. If they're anything like my church, they'll be care a lot more by your sense of rhythm than being able to tap the whole of Orion.