i have a Gibson SG and Im trying just to get the best sound possible out of it the bridge pickup is usually pretty high because i guess its an SG thing but i want to get my pickups just a good height so i can get a half somewhat decent sound out of my ****ty Crate

i know im not very good at this **** i play guitar i dont make them haha
so help a dooshebag out and send some suggestions my way!
....what kinda crate? i play an SG through a crate and its the most bitchitn sound ever. this 300dollar amp was chosen over many other crappy amps when i performed with heart. i say just bring the bridge pickup as close as you can withut touchin string and without intiating string buzz . maybe swap bridge pickups?
oh an RFX15 the distortion channel is pretty sick but the rest is decent... it was a good begginers amp im saving up for a spider tho
Quote by grifff
Move them around and see what you like. Adjusting pickups isnt an irreversible action.

+1

Good pickup height is very subjective and everybody wants something different. I tend to put the pickups as high as I can and not get weird buzzy noise or feedback when I play the highest fret but I like my tone to be quite bright. If you want a warmer sound then you have to move the pickups further away.
Not taking any online orders.
An SG has pickups positioned at open harmonics. Did you know that? The higher you have a pickup, the more sound you get but its too easy to lose tone if you overdo it.
Just a side note, I had one guitar with magnets so strong they actually pulled the strings out of tune and sometimes when playing high up the neck, would cause a string to stay attached to the pickup. Nasty! So don't be fooled into buying a 'vintage' Hofner Galaxy!