Flame maple, stained red with a black burst thats probably tinted clear coat sprayed on.

The hardest part in my mind is getting the burst, look up tinted or may be toning lacquers and clear coats.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Jan 13, 2009,
So I'de stain the entire body then spray the edges/sides/back with aerosol nitro black? what about using all wipe on stain and clear coating the entire thing.
Either would work.

However bursting black with stain may be a little difficult.

Also, that is a very low qulaity flame maple, maybe grade A or AA, as there is little figuring.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
People commonly use black to enhance the grain before they colour it the way they want.

Do the whole top in black stain.

With some 400 grit paper on a block, sand the. whole top but stay away from the edges where you want the black burst.

The idea being, the black dye will sand off in the light areas and stay in the darker figuring of the wood.

Then you can go over it with red stain.

Then sanding sealer.

Paint the back and sides with black paint (prepare properly) and just blend it into the black on the front.

Clear it.

Do a search, there are loads of tutorials.
Quote by Skeet UK
People commonly use black to enhance the grain before they colour it the way they want.

Do the whole top in black stain.

With some 400 grit paper on a block, sand the. whole top but stay away from the edges where you want the black burst.

The idea being, the black dye will sand off in the light areas and stay in the darker figuring of the wood.

Then you can go over it with red stain.

Then sanding sealer.

Paint the back and sides with black paint (prepare properly) and just blend it into the black on the front.

Clear it.

Do a search, there are loads of tutorials.

sounds like the right kind of idea. like he said, search for a tutorial. i know a wonderful site called google.......
My Rig:
American Standard Telecaster
Fender Starcaster
Sp. Edition Jack Daniels Strat (Modded)
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
Pedalboard (from a shelf )
the odd pedal
Skeet seems to always have the best finish advice.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Quote by GravyFish
Skeet seems to always have the best finish advice.

Cheers.

I'm better with paint than stain though
Nice!
Thanks Skeet thats exactly what I'll do, mostly anyway. I think ill do that, then paint the outer edges with black laquor, then clear the entire thing.