Okay, from what I've heard, most Hybrids have a Tube Pre-Amp , and Solid state Power amp, but I've heard that most of the tone comes from the Power Amp, so most Hybrids aren't that much better than a Solid state. Is this correct?

I want to know this, because I found a used Hybrid amp (Traynor Tube Mate 30) and in the description it said it was Equipped with EL-34's, which as far as I know are Power Amp tubes, so that would mean it had a Tube Power Amp, and if my assumption from the above paragraph is right, that would mean I'd be getting most of my tone from the Tubes (thus sounding better than a Solid state).

Sorry about the long post, just want to know if my assumption is correct, I found this amp used for only $130 and I want to know if I'll get a good Tube tone from it.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Only way to find out is to try it. You are right that that would be a tube poweramp. It has been proven that there is a very little difference between tube and solidstate preamps, most people couldn't tell the difference. For $130 you wont be losing much money, and you can always ask to try it before you buy it.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lbj273
Only way to find out is to try it. You are right that that would be a tube poweramp. It has been proven that there is a very little difference between tube and solidstate preamps, most people couldn't tell the difference. For $130 you wont be losing much money, and you can always ask to try it before you buy it.

I would, but the thing is that the Amp is in a Guitar Center in another city, I found the listing online. I've bought stuff used from Guitar Centers across the country before and they've shipped it to me, so getting it's not the problem, I just can't try it out first.

I know I want a Traynor YCV, but I just don't have that kinda money, even used. I'm just wondering if this Traynor TubeMate would be good.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
fi you ever get the money for a traynor ycv definitely worth a look i just got mine today and i absolutely love it, also peavey's new vypyr series the 60 and 120 watt versions i believe also feature a poweramp tube and their patented transtube technology in the preamp. although for $440 it might be outta your budget :/
Quote by Ekim423
fi you ever get the money for a traynor ycv definitely worth a look i just got mine today and i absolutely love it, also peavey's new vypyr series the 60 and 120 watt versions i believe also feature a poweramp tube and their patented transtube technology in the preamp. although for $440 it might be outta your budget :/

Haha, yeah If I had that much money to spare, I'd find a used YCV.

Anyway, anybody else know how a TubeMate sounds, especially the cleans??
Rig

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
traynor's website may have some audio clips to check out. if you dont get any responses from fellow ug'ers or dont have a local shop that carries them, www.traynoramps.com

oh and chili peppers fan? i like you.
Quote by DeltaFunk
OI've heard that most of the tone comes from the Power Amp, so most Hybrids aren't that much better than a Solid state. Is this correct?

Well, since most of the distortion happens in the pre amp, I think most of the tone comes from the pre-amp. However, since most of the distortion occurring here is harsh clipping, it is relatively easy to model with transistors. SS power amps are designed to be 100% clean, so they don't really add any tone.
Therefore: Tube power amp=more important than tube pre amp if you want a tube amp sound. (Except for low gain overdrive sounds)
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Quote by Ekim423
traynor's website may have some audio clips to check out. if you dont get any responses from fellow ug'ers or dont have a local shop that carries them, www.traynoramps.com

oh and chili peppers fan? i like you.

Yeah, the Tube Mate is discontinued, and they don't have any clips, wish they did.

And yes I'm a huge RHCP fan, and I know Traynors have very Marshally cleans, Frusciante sounding, which is the tone I'm going for.

That's why I'm asking if the Power Amp is where most of the tone comes from, I want a good tube Clean tone. The OD isn't that important to me, I want good Cleans.
Rig

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by DeltaFunk
Yeah, the Tube Mate is discontinued, and they don't have any clips, wish they did.

And yes I'm a huge RHCP fan, and I know Traynors have very Marshally cleans, Frusciante sounding, which is the tone I'm going for.

That's why I'm asking if the Power Amp is where most of the tone comes from, I want a good tube Clean tone. The OD isn't that important to me, I want good Cleans.

If you just want good cleans, it's not going to make much of a difference what the power tube amp is. The power tubes, when the amp is at a very loud volume, distort, causing what most people consider as good cranked tube tone. You'll probably be able to get Frusciante's cleans with it, or at least close though since it has EL-34s, which give that flavor of clean. However, I've never played one so I can't give an accurate opinion, just one based on what the specs are, provided Traynors are voiced similar to Marshalls. 6L6s are usually considered better for clean since they distort less but I'm not extremely familiar with Frusciante's cleans since I'm not a huge RHCP fan but what I've heard sounds Marshall-ish with maybe some chorus.
ah sorry, didnt know they were discontinued, but yeah i know that frusciante tone you're looking for. i would say that you're correct in saying hybrids arent a whole lot better than solid state, but i DO think there will still be some tonal differences with a hybrid amp (afterall why would they make hybrid amps if they didnt sound any different than a solid state right?)

while i cant answer some of your questions specifically id say, For $130 hybrid amp, and with traynor's reputation for cleans and reliability go for the TubeMate definitely man.
Last edited by Ekim423 at Jan 13, 2009,
Okay, thanks guys, I think I'm gonna go for it once I sell my current amp.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention: I'm sure we can all agree this will be an upgrade from my Marshall MG.
Rig

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
yeah, let us know how it is when you get a chance. have fun with it too.

...and yeah its safe to say its an upgrade haha. i just got away from my line 6 spider and you know how great of a reputation those things have on UG
Quote by DeltaFunk
Okay, thanks guys, I think I'm gonna go for it once I sell my current amp.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention: I'm sure we can all agree this will be an upgrade from my Marshall MG.

Yes it is an upgrade and yes you will be fine.

I think part of hybrid discussion also needs to take into account what kind of tube distortion you are going for. Blues, Rock, Hard Rock, Punk is more power tube distortion. Metal is more preamp distortion. That is why the Vypyrs are so interesting to watch.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Yes it is an upgrade and yes you will be fine.

I think part of hybrid discussion also needs to take into account what kind of tube distortion you are going for. Blues, Rock, Hard Rock, Punk is more power tube distortion. Metal is more preamp distortion. That is why the Vypyrs are so interesting to watch.

Well I don't reallly use Amp OD much, I like to use my Distortion pedal.

When I do use my amp OD, I use it for light crunch OD, I don't get crazy with it.
Rig

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
^ yeah im waiting for the hybrid versions of the vypyrs to be released to try them out for the heck of it. ive been reading up on them and they sound real interesting and unique in many ways.

EDIT: for 311
Last edited by Ekim423 at Jan 14, 2009,
Quote by DeltaFunk
Well I don't reallly use Amp OD much, I like to use my Distortion pedal.

When I do use my amp OD, I use it for light crunch OD, I don't get crazy with it.

I don't think I would add a disti pedal to hybrid. Is that what you are doing now?

^yes the 60 and 120s will be extremely interesting.